The chatter around the Worthy trade isn't rational

Success

Buffalo needed a down in and down out player at Wr.  Worthy is an accessory piece.  The offense runs through Kelce, Pacheco and Rice.  Worthy will have a few chances a game to make plays.  Worthy wouldnt provide the role Buffalo was looking for.  I think Coleman could be better than Rasheed Rice.  He has a better athletic profile but will be used in a similar way. Plus Coleman adds an extra dimension in the redzone with his size and frame. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Logic said:

Now THIS I can agree on.

The big reason I wanted Worthy is that I thought having he and Samuel on the outside would open things up underneath for Shakir, Kincaid, and Knox. That for a team who seems to want to run their offense through their tight end and slot receiver, the best possible thing they could do is get an explosive option outside to take the top off the defense and create space underneath.

And even if we preferred Coleman for what we want to do over Worthy, does it make sense to allow the team we are trying to get past to have that weapon?  If we don’t make the trade, it’s possible another team takes Worthy before the Chiefs get him.  And at least we aren’t the ones to blame for it then.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Mat68 said:

Buffalo needed a down in and down out player at Wr.  Worthy is an accessory piece.  The offense runs through Kelce, Pacheco and Rice.  Worthy will have a few chances a game to make plays.  Worthy wouldnt provide the role Buffalo was looking for.  I think Coleman could be better than Rasheed Rice.  He has a better athletic profile but will be used in a similar way. Plus Coleman adds an extra dimension in the redzone with his size and frame. 

Great observation.

Really, the only criticism of that trade would be if we knew the Niners would take Worthy.  But we weren't taking him - and we got a guy who is a better fit, and a likely starting safety out of the deal.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Success said:

You'd argue those points?

You don't think it's a benefit for an offensive player to have Andy Reid as his coach?

You don't think it was blown coverage?

Figured you'd chime in on this one, Billl.  I'd encourage you to just enjoy your threepeat season instead of trying to pile on the Bills even more.  Were you looking for threads like "Woe is us!  We made a terrible trade w/ KC again!!!"

I’m not arguing them.  (Well, I would argue that the Chiefs likely would have lost out on him without the trade.). More like I’m curious as to what it would take to actually give another player credit.  Lamar had 400 yards of offense last night and was a toe away from winning with a walkoff TD, and there’s a thread about how he sucks.  Now there’s a thread about how a 21 year old who had 2 long TDs in his first NFL game wasn’t actually impressive.

Keon Coleman might wind up being the next Davante Adams. I have no idea.  It’s okay to acknowledge that Worthy made huge plays and soaked up a ton of attention from the Ravens defense last night.  

4 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

If anything…I’m more upset we passed on creed Humphrey and instead took Carlos Basham. 

Or even the fact that we wanted McDuffie and the chiefs jumped us to get him. 

At least the trade down netted buffalo interior lineman.  

The best teams in the league have good offensive and defensive lines and I don't think buffalo has drafted enough in that space.  With excess picks in 2024 they took 5 - and 4 of them are on the active roster (Carter, VPG, Solomon, Grable). 

The last 2 drafts they drafted Torrence and two players picked after 200, while bringing back depth players like Lawson and Phillips.  2021 they drafted 5, but Basham was a bust and moved in 2023, Anderson was picked 236 so not a major investment, and doyle has been injured the entire tenure here.  So 3 of them didn't really do anything.

Outside of Oliver and Dawkins, they haven't really had any stud players drafted - and it's a spot where superstars make a big difference.  

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Success said:

It's actually insane - here & nationally.  

He had 2 big plays yesterday.  The 1st TD was some of the best blocking I've seen in awhile, and reflective of how good Reid is.  Most fast receivers get that TD.  The 2nd TD was a completely blown coverage, and pretty much ANY WR would have gotten a TD on.

He's incredibly fast - but we knew that before the draft.  The internet went crazy last night blaming the Bills and Beane - as though we didn't expect the guy to make some plays in one of the best offenses, with one of the best QB's and best offensive minds in the game?

But that's beside the point.  In all likelihood, KC would have gotten Worthy by standing pat in that draft.  Instead, we traded - and not only got Coleman, but Bishop as well.  People keep saying that if Worthy outperforms Coleman, it will look terrible for the Bills....but what if Bishop turns into a top safety?

It's almost like it's in the national psyche that KC always bests the Bills.  That will probably turn out to be a good trade for both teams, but the hot take reaction was so over the top anti-Bills.  

The biggest problem I see with the take that KC would have gotten Worthy is that they traded up to get him. If they were confident he would be there at 32, they would not have felt the need to trade away picks to get him. 

Otherwise, I agree with the post. Worthy made some plays last night, but they were plays that Mecole Hardman was capable of and not indicative of Worthy’s ability. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billl said:

I’m not arguing them.  (Well, I would argue that the Chiefs likely would have lost out on him without the trade.). More like I’m curious as to what it would take to actually give another player credit.  Lamar had 400 yards of offense last night and was a toe away from winning with a walkoff TD, and there’s a thread about how he sucks.  Now there’s a thread about how a 21 year old who had 2 long TDs in his first NFL game wasn’t actually impressive.

Keon Coleman might wind up being the next Davante Adams. I have no idea.  It’s okay to acknowledge that Worthy made huge plays and soaked up a ton of attention from the Ravens defense last night.  

You're being too defensive about it.  My observations were accurate about those 2 plays - and I also said he's incredibly fast. He'll be great in the Chiefs' offense, and I even added at the end that it will probably end up being a good trade for both teams. I'm not discrediting Worthy (and I heaped praise on Jackson last night, btw - I love his game).

This thread is more about the intense negative reaction many fans had about the trade itself when Worthy scored last night. Here, there were certainly scattered comments - but nationally, it was over the top.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Billl said:

They showed the stat last night. KC had like 4 TD’s of greater than 20 yards all last season. Worthy had 2 in week one. Don’t see how people can diminish his impact. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Billl said:
  • It was blown coverage
  • Chiefs would have got him anyway
  • He’s just benefitting from Andy Reid’s play calling

Yep, you hit all the bullet points.

He absolutely made a nice play on that reverse, his speed was a huge factor in that touchdown.

That receiving TD?  Completely blown coverage and he walked in for a touchdown.  

Worthy has speed and talent, need to see if he can separate in the receiving game.  We didn't see it last night but he has a long career to go!

• Like (+1) 2

Doing anything to help KC get what they want  was a mistake. The public perception and consternation from the media isn’t worth it. 

This is one more little thing to bring up when comparing The Chiefs to the Bills and it wasn’t necessary. 

Let them try and acquire him through another avenue. 

Sometimes you just have to be petty. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Beane's job is to improve the Buffalo Bills in the draft.

It's not "Hollywood Squares" where he needs to go "for the block" against the KC Chiefs.

This "Worthy" stuff is going to be used by the media and other teams' fans in an attempt to "get our goat".

Don't fall for it!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The 9 Isles said:

Doing anything to help KC get what they want  was a mistake. The public perception and consternation from the media isn’t worth it. 

This is one more little thing to bring up when comparing The Chiefs to the Bills and it wasn’t necessary. 

Let them try and acquire him through another avenue. 

So you want Beane to make draft decisions with social media in mind? Like, "I can't do that...Bills Mafia will take so much crap on Twitter."

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The 9 Isles said:

Failing to maximize the talent on your own team just to tweak somebody else's nose would be embarrassingly pathetic and a fireable offense.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

Said it on draft day and I'll say it now - Beane should have gotten Coleman and  Worthy.

I agree with the sentiment that Beane should have at least double dipped at WR this year in the draft, but I don't see any path where they could get both Worthy and Coleman without giving up significant resources to do so. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Logic said:

I was and am an "I wish we picked Worthy" guy.

That said -- the discourse on social media last night and this morning is ridiculous.

As you said, his two scoring plays came on a reverse, which -- credit to him -- he followed his blockers and scored on. He showed his rare speed. And the other came on a completely busted coverage where Marlon Humphrey thought he had safety help and left Worthy uncovered down the sideline. 

NEITHER of those plays are indicative of some great talent that Worthy possesses AS A RECEIVER. We didn't see him getting open against press-man, finding the soft spot in zone coverages, or generally displaying the skills it takes to be a good WR in the NFL. Nevertheless, he scored twice (and one of them came on his first NFL touch, no less). And because nuance doesn't really exist in our instant reaction world of hot takes, hyperbole, and instant viral video clips, the discussion is simply "LOOK AT WHO THE BILLS PASSED ON!"

So yeah...Even as a big Worthy guy, you're right. The discourse around him this morning his ridiculous. Last night didn't show me much other than "he's fast", which we already knew.

I agree with you 100%.

But what I might add is that I seriously doubt Coleman can run that reverse with that speed and field awareness etc. That was a NICE run by Worthy and THAT is what makes him such a good asset. He isn't just a WR - he is a weapon! And he showed it last night. Two touchdowns in his first game. Full stop. I don't care how he got them (blown coverage, good blocking). The fact is, he scored x 2.

Coleman, you're up buddy!

• Like (+1) 5

20 minutes ago, Lost said:

Still two more TDs than Coleman will have in his first game.  I don't care about circumstances.    It's like the Chiefs are constantly innovating and ahead of the curve and we're always trying to catch up to what they did last year.

They are, because they have an innovative and exceptional offensive mind at the helm in HC Andy Reid. The Bills do not, and in todays NFL that means the Chiefs will always have an edge over Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 1