The chatter around the Worthy trade isn't rational

Success

It's actually insane - here & nationally.  

He had 2 big plays yesterday.  The 1st TD was some of the best blocking I've seen in awhile, and reflective of how good Reid is.  Most fast receivers get that TD.  The 2nd TD was a completely blown coverage, and pretty much ANY WR would have gotten a TD on.

He's incredibly fast - but we knew that before the draft.  The internet went crazy last night blaming the Bills and Beane - as though we didn't expect the guy to make some plays in one of the best offenses, with one of the best QB's and best offensive minds in the game?

But that's beside the point.  In all likelihood, KC would have gotten Worthy by standing pat in that draft.  Instead, we traded - and not only got Coleman, but Bishop as well.  People keep saying that if Worthy outperforms Coleman, it will look terrible for the Bills....but what if Bishop turns into a top safety?

It's almost like it's in the national psyche that KC always bests the Bills.  That will probably turn out to be a good trade for both teams, but the hot take reaction was so over the top anti-Bills.  

• Like (+1) 13
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 20

Like it or not, the Bills will always be connected to the Worthy choice. Just like we our to Mahomes.

And who’s to say the 49ers wouldn’t have grabbed Worthy?

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Yes, Chiefs would have gotten him regardless.. unless we drafted him. 

Ironically, the Chiefs being physical with our WR’s in the Playoffs and clamping them with single coverage is probably why we avoided him.  

You can see it in our overall philosophy with Kincaid, Knox, Coleman, Hollins and MVS.  Even Shakir and Samuel are thicker WR’s for the slot/gadget stuff we’ll run. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Success said:

He had 2 big plays yesterday.  The 1st TD was some of the best blocking I've seen in awhile, and reflective of how good Reid is.  Most fast receivers get that TD.  The 2nd TD was a completely blown coverage, and pretty much ANY WR would have gotten a TD on.

He's incredibly fast - but we knew that before the draft.  The internet went crazy last night blaming the Bills and Beane - as though we didn't expect the guy to make some plays in one of the best offenses, with one of the best QB's and best offensive minds in the game?

But that's beside the point.  In all likelihood, KC would have gotten Worthy by standing pat in that draft.  Instead, we traded - and not only got Coleman, but Bishop as well.  People keep saying that if Worthy outperforms Coleman, it will look terrible for the Bills....but what if Bishop turns into a top safety?

It's almost like it's in the national psyche that KC always bests the Bills.  That will probably turn out to be a good trade for both teams, but the hot take reaction was so over the top anti-Bills.  

I think they jumped SF who ended up with Pearsall.  In any case, i agree with you.  He was 5th WR off the board, and buffalo probably had similar grades on several players and liked Coleman best.  Remains to be seen if they were right, but I thought they got some pretty good value with the move into the 3rd round and still get the WR you liked.  

Worthy was traded for Legette and Carter.

Legette was traded for Coleman and Sedrick Van Pran-Granger

So Essentially the trade of the Worthy pick got them Coleman, Carter, and Van Pran-Granger.  They got the 3rd back that they moved in the Douglas trade, moved into the early 5th and used it to add two interior linemen.  

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Success said:

If anything…I’m more upset we passed on creed Humphrey and instead took Carlos Basham. 

Or even the fact that we wanted McDuffie and the chiefs jumped us to get him. 

Edited by whorlnut
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 5

9 minutes ago, Beast said:

Like it or not, the Bills will always be connected to the Worthy choice. Just like we our to Mahomes.

And who’s to say the 49ers wouldn’t have grabbed Worthy?

There was definitely speculation they would, and it's possible - but I have read that speed was not their priority at that spot & not a good scheme fit.

10 minutes ago, Success said:

• It was blown coverage
  • Chiefs would have got him anyway
  • He’s just benefitting from Andy Reid’s play calling

Yep, you hit all the bullet points.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

If anything…I’m more upset we passed on creed Humphrey and instead took Carlos Basham. 

Or even the fact that we wanted McDuffie and the chiefs jumped us to get him. 

That was indeed a big Whiff by Beane.

I was and am an "I wish we picked Worthy" guy.

That said -- the discourse on social media last night and this morning is ridiculous.

As you said, his two scoring plays came on a reverse, which -- credit to him -- he followed his blockers and scored on. He showed his rare speed. And the other came on a completely busted coverage where Marlon Humphrey thought he had safety help and left Worthy uncovered down the sideline. 

NEITHER of those plays are indicative of some great talent that Worthy possesses AS A RECEIVER. We didn't see him getting open against press-man, finding the soft spot in zone coverages, or generally displaying the skills it takes to be a good WR in the NFL. Nevertheless, he scored twice (and one of them came on his first NFL touch, no less). And because nuance doesn't really exist in our instant reaction world of hot takes, hyperbole, and instant viral video clips, the discussion is simply "LOOK AT WHO THE BILLS PASSED ON!"

So yeah...Even as a big Worthy guy, you're right. The discourse around him this morning his ridiculous. Last night didn't show me much other than "he's fast", which we already knew.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 14
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Billl said:
  • It was blown coverage
  • Chiefs would have got him anyway
  • He’s just benefitting from Andy Reid’s play calling

Yep, you hit all the bullet points.

You'd argue those points?

You don't think it's a benefit for an offensive player to have Andy Reid as his coach?

You don't think it was blown coverage?

Figured you'd chime in on this one, Billl.  I'd encourage you to just enjoy your threepeat season instead of trying to pile on the Bills even more.  Were you looking for threads like "Woe is us!  We made a terrible trade w/ KC again!!!"

• Thank you (+1) 1

It’s completely rational.  Before last night, it was already a questionable move to allow KC to move up and select the fastest WR ever.  And then the same player goes out and gets a 20+ yard rushing TD and 30+ yard receiving TD.

They were saying on WGR this morning that in past however many years, only five players have accomplished that feat in a game.  Four of the five have been on Andy Reid coached teams, including the likes of DeSean Jackson and Tyreke Hill.

It’s totally rational to have been skeptical of the trade when it happened, and at least continuing to be skeptical after last night, if not more so.  

It’s irrational to not be skeptical.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 4
  • Dislike 1

12 minutes ago, Success said:

Still two more TDs than Coleman will have in his first game.  I don't care about circumstances.    It's like the Chiefs are constantly innovating and ahead of the curve and we're always trying to catch up to what they did last year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 2

It is conjecture at this point but you know how people love to conject LOL... I mean Coleman hasnt even played a game yet what if he puts up 8 - 102 and a TD... does that mean we won the trade?  Its one game for one of the players... lets see how this plays out... I mean at least a season.... that being said... Beane really does need to stop trading with KC, I just dont like it... makes me nervous... as if we are accomodating a team that believes a move makes them better based on their needs... why would I want to let them do something they think makes them better... Beat them in the playoffs and then trade with them LOL... until then just no... dont do it.

This what Mahomes had to say about Worthy after the game.....

"Just having him out there, it just opens up stuff," Mahomes said. "You saw when he's out there, they're playing shell coverages. It's getting guys like [Travis Kelce] and it's getting guys like [Rashee Rice] open underneath, and that's what's so great about this offense is we're able to do all of that, and that's when we're at our best."

His impact was bigger than the two splash plays.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

If you understand defense go watch the tape when Worthy is on the field. It’s not just the stuff he did in terms of the TD’s but how the defense adjusts coverage to account for him. That helps a guy like Rice get 100 yards. So many people seem to miss this concept. It’s what the Bills are missing, we have no one teams are worried about in that same way. 

Edited by ngbills
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

This what Mahomes had to say about Worthy after the game.....

"Just having him out there, it just opens up stuff," Mahomes said. "You saw when he's out there, they're playing shell coverages. It's getting guys like [Travis Kelce] and it's getting guys like [Rashee Rice] open underneath, and that's what's so great about this offense is we're able to do all of that, and that's when we're at our best."

His impact was bigger than the two splash plays.

Now THIS I can agree on.

The big reason I wanted Worthy is that I thought having he and Samuel on the outside would open things up underneath for Shakir, Kincaid, and Knox. That for a team who seems to want to run their offense through their tight end and slot receiver, the best possible thing they could do is get an explosive option outside to take the top off the defense and create space underneath.

If one wants to see the impact Worthy made last night, they'd do better to point out Rashee Rice running wide open underneath repeatedly than to point to a reverse or a blown coverage TD.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4