Dorian Williams’ time to shine?

eball

He's got a bit of violence to his game which has been a sorely lacking element in McDermott's defense since he got here. As others have stated, hoping they let him make his mistakes now because he could be exactly the kind of player/attitude they've been missing when the pressure gets turned up.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, YattaOkasan said:

I love rooting for this kid too but I am very scared hes not gonna be ready for McBride.  But on the plus side stopping the run is his strength and thats the key to this game.  I would consider using him in simulated and creeper pressures and drop a DE into coverage.  I dont know that you lose a lot in terms of coverage ability but you gain the element of surprise.  Lastly on obvious passing downs Edwards should come in.  Hopefully I'm wrong or as we get through the first part of the season he continues to grow (was satisfied with his improvement this offseason), but his tape to date is tough.  

Have Williams at the historical WILL.  Opposite side of the Te.  Put Taron on McBride.  Obviously, he will have some responsibility in coverage.  On 3rd Downs I would like to see Williams used as a Blitzer/Spy.  Let him be a Tasmanian devil not a read and react player down in and down out.  Milano was deployed this way a lot paired with Edmunds.  Also, I think you see many 3 safety looks.  Not just Edwards but also Bishop.   

Edited by Mat68
  • Like (+1) 4

I think this will be a game he will struggle with since two things go against him.

Connor is a hard hitting fast back who comes downhill fast. This may keep Williams occupied.

The other page is Murray who is unorthodox, undisciplined, and likely to do anything because he is far from a polished traditional QB. He will take chances that will cost him but those chances may come through. If he looks to make risky plays and play avant garde football Williams maybe left holding his jock.

2 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Have Williams at the historical WILL.  Opposite side of the Te.  Put Taron on McBride.  Obviously, he will have some responsibility in coverage.  On 3rd Downs I would like to see Williams used as a Blitzer/Spy.  Let him be a Tasmanian devil not a read and react player down in and down out.  Milano was deployed this way a lot paired with Edmunds. 

Williams should def be the Will cause Bernard could push all pro at the Mike.  Some of the challenge is we typically play zone so while hell be on the weak side away from McBride he will still likely have TE coverage responsibility (Milano is often seen covering TEs and our TEs coverage numbers are typically pretty rough when he misses time).  I do agree blitzer/spy (see simulated/creeper comment), but on obvious passing downs I think you got to get Williams off.  I'm fine with him as a tasmanian devil like Milano in the run game.  The challenge is that Williams gets too far forward on PA which wasnt as nearly the same problem for milano.  

9 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Williams should def be the Will cause Bernard could push all pro at the Mike.  Some of the challenge is we typically play zone so while hell be on the weak side away from McBride he will still likely have TE coverage responsibility (Milano is often seen covering TEs and our TEs coverage numbers are typically pretty rough when he misses time).  I do agree blitzer/spy (see simulated/creeper comment), but on obvious passing downs I think you got to get Williams off.  I'm fine with him as a tasmanian devil like Milano in the run game.  The challenge is that Williams gets too far forward on PA which wasnt as nearly the same problem for milano.  

I mean line him up vs the tightend not formation.  Based off alignment the weak side could be the side with the tight end.  Overall, I think we are in agreement.  Come down to maturing as a player.  This can be said for almost every linebacker though.  Thats why PA is successful.  If he is a liability Morrow offers replacement level average play.  I think on par with what Dodson offered.  Ideally, Williams becoming a good player greatly impacts the defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

If the game can slow down for Williams, his athleticism and violence would be an absolute God-send for this Defense. 

Big “if”

He has every tool in the toolbox you could ask for as a modern NFL Linebacker.   But none of that matters if you can’t process what you’re seeing. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, MJS said:

In theory, but I think it might be Dorian Williams's time to get exposed in coverage. I'm pretty nervous about him.

Yeah- coverage is where I’m worried.  But at least he has the movement skills to help make up for his mental deficiencies in zone.  Eager to watch him develop

• Like (+1) 1

I was really high on Dorian coming out. Had him as my # 2 MLB prospect. 

He has very high end traits for the position but has struggled to harness at times. You can see him pop though and I’m hoping he can take a leap this year because he has pro bowl like potential in my opinion. 

I think the Bills drafted him to eventually replace Milano later down the road but Milanos injuries have thrust him in a prominent role now obviously 

• Agree 1

Get Dorian as many reps as possible have to live with some of the mistakes to see what you have before he gets to the end of his rookie deal and is worth extending or not. We are in bit of a transition year rather play the younger guys to see what we have.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MJS said:

In theory, but I think it might be Dorian Williams's time to get exposed in coverage. I'm pretty nervous about him.

He didn’t look to improve much in that area from what I’ve seen this offseason and preseason either.  I share the same fear 

2 hours ago, T.E. said:

He's a quintessential JAG.

That’s just a crazy guess you’re throwing out about a 2nd year 3rd round pick who hasn’t had a chance yet to show who he is. 

What were you saying about Bernard last year?

• Like (+1) 2

will be great to see what he can do against McBride.  I think Williams has a great game.  He came from Tulane (big gap in opponent talent to NFL) and looked better as the season progressed last year.  I'm thinking he's ready.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Have Williams at the historical WILL.  Opposite side of the Te.  Put Taron on McBride.  Obviously, he will have some responsibility in coverage.  On 3rd Downs I would like to see Williams used as a Blitzer/Spy.  Let him be a Tasmanian devil not a read and react player down in and down out.  Milano was deployed this way a lot paired with Edmunds.  Also, I think you see many 3 safety looks.  Not just Edwards but also Bishop.   

Bernards a quality interior blitzer too - I think the key will be to keep them guessing.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

will be a rough first half season

I kind of think that will be this teams MO this season . I feel given all of the new pieces on the team on all facets that it will take them time to jell and by mid season (I hope) the switch will come on and they will roll through the rest of it and be a SB contender and in doing so prove Beane & McD know better what they are doing than some of us think they do .

Williams, Colemen, and all the other new faces will help make it so going forward .

Edited by T master

1 hour ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Bernards a quality interior blitzer too - I think the key will be to keep them guessing.  

This will be the key to our entire season on offense and defense.  

Just now, NewEra said:

This will be the key to our entire season on offense and defense.  

Very true.  I feel like the dorsey offense and the frazier defense were entirely too predictable.  The discipline and communication on defense made life miserable for a lot of teams, but they'd be exposed by better QBs/coaching/WRs. 

As for the offense under dorsey, it was somehow both too simple (felt like we didn't attack with many route concepts, and the red zone was just 5 wide, let allen do allen stuff) and too complicated?  The alerts, checks, and leverage calls for the WRs have you constantly thinking as a player.  The other aspect was how easy it was to manipulate those same checks to get buffalo to throw short, or force the read into a hole shot, or force the option route to the safety.  

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Very true.  I feel like the dorsey offense and the frazier defense were entirely too predictable.  The discipline and communication on defense made life miserable for a lot of teams, but they'd be exposed by better QBs/coaching/WRs. 

As for the offense under dorsey, it was somehow both too simple (felt like we didn't attack with many route concepts, and the red zone was just 5 wide, let allen do allen stuff) and too complicated?  The alerts, checks, and leverage calls for the WRs have you constantly thinking as a player.  The other aspect was how easy it was to manipulate those same checks to get buffalo to throw short, or force the read into a hole shot, or force the option route to the safety.  

Spot on my friend