This just in(not really)........Lamar Jackson is a below-average QB propped up by the Media

Special K

9 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Lamar is a top 10 QB but point blank he is not Allen and never will be. 
I really like Lamar but he should not have been MVP last year 

Maybe a top 10 QB at some point, but I don't think that's true anymore.  More QBs are emerging and younger QBs like Stroud coming in the league.  I think Lamar is now pushed to somewhere in the top 15.  When you get that far down the list, you are just slightly above avg.

No he shouldn't have been, but this award seems to be all about the 1 seed.  It shouldn't be but it is.

What a ridiculous statement.

I do believe that Lamar Jackson catches way less flak than he deserves from the media and fans. That Josh Allen gets dragged for things unfairly and Lamar does not. That Lamar is, at times, overrated. That he probably didn't deserve to win MVP last year. That he historically comes up small in the playoffs.

...But to say that he's "below average"? Absolutely not. That's a wild exaggeration.

Lamar Jackson is an above average quarterback. You don't put up the statistics he has and the wins he has and win two league MVPs if you're below average. 

In 2019, he threw for 36 TDs and 6 INTs while rushing for 1,200 yards. Like....below average?

Lamar Jackson is a good quarterback.

You can support Josh Allen and love the Buffalo Bills -- and even think that the media treats Josh unfairly compared to Lamar -- without needing to hate Lamar Jackson. Really, you can.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Lamar is like Josh in that way too often he has to do everything himself. When your QB has to be near perfect the entire game in order to give your team a chance to win, then the mistakes/misses get magnified. No one remembers the 20 plays you made to keep your team in the game, it’s the obvious miss at the end to tie the game that matters, not the fact that the only reason the team was in that position to tie/win was because of your previous positive plays.

I like Lamar, I just think he’s overhyped by the media. No way he deserved that MVP last year. He’s a great player to watch but has obvious limitations as a passer which is why he sucks in the playoffs.

Lamar's QB skillset is very unique.  That is part of the reason discussions like this happen all the time.

His skills allow him to do things most QBs can't.  As long as his unique athleticism lasts, he will be successful.

The real question will be his durability.  Once his evasiveness is reduced, he will have to rely more on his arm and QB skills.

Once that happens (and it will) his uniqueness will decline.

How well Lamar Jackson plays at QB on the other side of 30 will be very interesting to watch.

His current contract runs out at 30.  Ultimately IMO, that will be how he is judged.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

That's a very good defense he played 

Got them to within one single toe

Lamar haters are weirdos just like Allen haters

I agree, Lamar is a good QB and isn't nearly as deficient a passer as some make him out to be. 

That said I do think where things get muddied for dual threat QB's is that sometimes their legs provide value instead of throwing the ball rather than in addition to. 

Is Lamar the 5th best passer in the entire league? No. But is he a top 5 QB anyways? Absolutely. 

He's overrated, and overhyped, and was gifted an MVP last year. But there aren't that many elite QBs in the league right now. He's still top 5-10. 

3 minutes ago, DJB said:

Don’t want to be that guy but I will. 

If Josh Allen and Lamar traded skin colour Josh would be the one with two MVP’s. 

There I said it . 

I don't know about Josh having two MVPs but yes, race was obviously a big factor last year. If Lamar was white he likely doesn't finish in the Top 4 for MVP. I don't really think this can be debated. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Qb looks so easy in screenshots. Why do some many of this guys bust? 

I'm not trying to diminish Lamar - I'm calling out when he made a series of mistakes in short order in a critical moment.  He isn't the only one to blame, but when you tighten your throwing angle and then pump a ball 6 feet to the left of where it should have been to a wide open receiver?  Do you want me to not call it out?  He made mistakes on that play.

22 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Maybe a top 10 QB at some point, but I don't think that's true anymore.  More QBs are emerging and younger QBs like Stroud coming in the league.  I think Lamar is now pushed to somewhere in the top 15.  When you get that far down the list, you are just slightly above avg.

No he shouldn't have been, but this award seems to be all about the 1 seed.  It shouldn't be but it is.

So  two MVPs at 27 doesn’t make you a top 10 qb? That’s a tough standard. 

and this is where fantasy football has ruined football (and I love fantasy).  The Ravens were curb stomping teams last year. There is so stat they were only trailing in a game for like 15 minutes all season. A dime a dozen Gus Edwards had 13 tds. I guess to a real “MVP” Lamar should stat padded in second halves where they had double digit leads and audible to qb sneaks at the 1. It’s silly. 

Allen could have 15 less tds this year and be a better qb. And if that happens and the Bills are good, he will be in MVp consideration. 

13 minutes ago, Logic said:

What a ridiculous statement.

I do believe that Lamar Jackson catches way less flak than he deserves from the media and fans. That Josh Allen gets dragged for things unfairly and Lamar does not. That Lamar is, at times, overrated. That he probably didn't deserve to win MVP last year. That he historically comes up small in the playoffs.

...But to say that he's "below average"? Absolutely not. That's a wild exaggeration.

Lamar Jackson is an above average quarterback. You don't put up the statistics he has and the wins he has and win two league MVPs if you're below average. 

In 2019, he threw for 36 TDs and 6 INTs while rushing for 1,200 yards. Like....below average?

Lamar Jackson is a good quarterback.

You can support Josh Allen and love the Buffalo Bills -- and even think that the media treats Josh unfairly compared to Lamar -- without needing to hate Lamar Jackson. Really, you can.

Agreed.  They put up 450 yards, and 25 first downs against one of the best defenses in football a year ago.  Outgained the chiefs by 100 yards.  Bad turnover, and a poor call on a 4th down were the differences.  

People are saying he's bad?  Like all the stuff before a missed EZ throw is irrelevant?  Crazy.  

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Process said:

He's overrated, and overhyped, and was gifted an MVP last year. But there aren't that many elite QBs in the league right now. He's still top 5-10. 

I don't know about Josh having two MVPs but yes, race was obviously a big factor last year. If Lamar was white he likely doesn't finish in the Top 4 for MVP. I don't really think this can be debated. 

Yeah, the Heisman trophy college qb who Polian said should switch positions is now the beneficiary of his race. I don’t know people who think like this function. 

maybe and this is crazy, the qb from the most dominant team who were killing everyone (see the SF game) and only had flukes losses deserved to be the MVP. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Cray51 said:

I'm not trying to diminish Lamar - I'm calling out when he made a series of mistakes in short order in a critical moment.  He isn't the only one to blame, but when you tighten your throwing angle and then pump a ball 6 feet to the left of where it should have been to a wide open receiver?  Do you want me to not call it out?  He made mistakes on that play.

I think the big mistake is not clocking the ball after you make that 40 yard pass.

• Bateman needs to come off the field, and you need to substitute your RZ players on.
  • Everyone's running 40 yards down the field - why try and line up when you have a "clock it" play that you have practiced.  You risk a formation penalty, or you have to wait to snap while you get lined up proper.  
  • Way too much time is running off the clock, the play ended up taking more time and left you with 10 seconds so you only had 2 more plays anyway.  I'd rather have 3 actual plays from the 10 than a no huddle non-play and 2 play calls. 
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

These plays happen all the time to every qb. It’s the hardest job in sports. Lamar isn’t the best passer but he’s really good. 

A non Bills fan that is a Lamar hater is also likely an Allen hater. Lamar is an elite athlete. Maybe not perfect as a a qb but still one if the best in the game. Allen is in that same bucket in a different way. He makes some bad decisions or misses throws “you have to make” but will do other things that no one can do. Allen and Lamar would both be qb’s a team would dream to have. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

These plays happen all the time to every qb. It’s the hardest job in sports. Lamar isn’t the best passer but he’s really good. 

It's not my job to pull up how frequently it happens to others.  In that situation, Lamar made several bad decisions that led to a loss for his team.  Lamar - from what I see when I watch him - is a solid passer, who gets stuck on his first read and stares down receivers when facing tough defenses.  He also puts his head down to escape the pocket quickly when facing consistent pressure as well.

I think he is a top 7-8 QB, but to each their own.  

Let me add:  Lamar is not in the QB tier as Burrow/Allen/Mahomes.  Those three are clearly better QBs who I'd want to try to lead my team to the Super Bowl.  He falls into that second group, Dak/Lamar/Rodger/Stroud/Herbert.  He is probably the guy I take from that group first if given the choice, but Lamar simply struggles against the best competition in ways that Allen/Mahomes/Burrow do not

7 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I think the big mistake is not clocking the ball after you make that 40 yard pass.

• Bateman needs to come off the field, and you need to substitute your RZ players on.
  • Everyone's running 40 yards down the field - why try and line up when you have a "clock it" play that you have practiced.  You risk a formation penalty, or you have to wait to snap while you get lined up proper.  
  • Way too much time is running off the clock, the play ended up taking more time and left you with 10 seconds so you only had 2 more plays anyway.  I'd rather have 3 actual plays from the 10 than a no huddle non-play and 2 play calls. 

I agree - he absolutely should have clocked it and reset the team.

Edited by Cray51

10 hours ago, FireChans said:

Losing to the defending champs on the last play in a one score game after putting up 300 yards of offense makes you a BUM.

When you blatantly miss a wide open man in the EZ the play before it doesn't make you great. That throw wasn't even remotely close.

4 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

It's not my job to pull up how frequently it happens to others.  In that situation, Lamar made several bad decisions that led to a loss for his team.  Lamar - from what I see when I watch him - is a solid passer, who gets stuck on his first read and stares down receivers when facing tough defenses.  He also puts his head down to escape the pocket quickly when facing consistent pressure as well.

I think he is a top 7-8 QB, but to each their own.  

Let me add:  Lamar is not in the QB tier as Burrow/Allen/Mahomes.  Those three are clearly better QBs who I'd want to try to lead my team to the Super Bowl.  He falls into that second group, Dak/Lamar/Rodger/Stroud/Herbert.  He is probably the guy I take from that group first if given the choice, but Lamar simply struggles against the best competition in ways that Allen/Mahomes/Burrow do not

I agree - he absolutely should have clocked it and reset the team.

Bateman just ran around for like 10 seconds, made a huge leaping catch, and you have him lining up and running a route?  You're basically ok with playing with 10 guys there.  

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah, the Heisman trophy college qb who Polian said should switch positions is now the beneficiary of his race. I don’t know people who think like this function. 

maybe and this is crazy, the qb from the most dominant team who were killing everyone (see the SF game) and only had flukes losses deserved to be the MVP. 

When it comes to awards, media narratives, player rankings etc, race is absolutely a factor. 

He did not deserve to be the MVP and he is not close to the second best player in the NFL, as voted on by the players. 

ESPN doesn't even try to hide their bias....

https://x.com/SaycheeseDGTL/status/1768313698634854585?t=d-mIVpTWRAvy_JHKIt2cWQ&s=19

Lamar is a great QB, but when it comes to things like MVP there is no doubt he benefits from the media trying to hype up the "underappreciated" black QB. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1