This just in(not really)........Lamar Jackson is a below-average QB propped up by the Media

Special K

He's the same guy he was out of Louisville - electric, game-changing runner who can make a few throws. There were multiple throws last night that quarterbacks like Mahomes or Allen easily make, but Lamar missed badly. 

Edited by Roundybout
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, Success said:

I don't know - he's also one of the most electric, fun-to-watch players in the league.  

Some other QB's would have been sacked 5-6 times tonight.  I don't know if there are too many guys who can improvise like he can.

Both things can be true:  Jackson is fun to watch and electric where anything can happen at any moment and he's not a very good passing QB. 

• Like (+1) 2

This isn’t any great secret.  Lamar is a marginally above avg passer and an excellent rusher.

Hes certainly better than avg and in totality a top 10 QB, but he’s not in the same universe as Mahomes, Allen, and when healthy Burrow.

When Baltimore played the Chiefs in the playoffs, they went away from the run and force fed the passing game and it flopped miserably.

I have nothing against Lamar, but the media goes out of the way to prop him up.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

your quarterback accounting for 88% of your offense is a problem if you lose or don’t score enough. 

this is all part of a bigger conversation about how you define what a quarterback is. the reality is the quarterback is dependent on the system they're in (play calling and design) as much as their attributes; it’s a marriage. 

People like to imagine what the 49ers would look like with josh Allen at quarterback. Imagining 600 yards of offense and 8 touchdowns every game. this wouldn’t happen because the marriage of system and quarterback in San Francisco is already operating at a super high level. (You only get the ball so many times a game) 

The current best marriage in the nfl is mahomes and Reid. They’re winning by eliminating mistakes on offense and playing great defense.  The Brady/Belichick method. 

Edited by Shortchaz

I think some fans have a hard time understanding that the QB position isn't just throwing the ball. A QB can be above average or even elite but not be particularly elite at passing. The QB position has always had the ability to become a runner. Lamar Jackson is an elite runner at the QB position. He's not an elite passer but he's also not completely crap either. I'd say he's probably in the 7-15 range of passers in the NFL. He's either 1 or 2 in running, depending how you rate Allen. As a whole at the postion those 2 measurables put him easily in the top 10 and for me maybe just outside the top 5 at his position.

If you have to designate a player on the defensive side of the ball to spy a player, I just don't think that makes you below-average. His running ability has to be game planned for.

54 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Maybe it’s just me, but why does it seem that a significant portion of Bills fans enjoy crapping on other quarterbacks in order to build up their own guy?

Probably because the QB for the Bills is the most harshly criticized player in football even though he carries the whole team on his back weekly while Lamar Jackson receives nothing but glowing praise for occasionally completing two-yard dumpoffs to wide open fullbacks.

1 minute ago, T.E. said:

Probably because the QB for the Bills is the most harshly criticized player in football even though he carries the whole team on his back weekly while Lamar Jackson receives nothing but glowing praise for occasionally completing two-yard dumpoffs to wide open fullbacks.

I'm sure fans of the Ravens think Josh is "unfairly propped up by the media too." A lot of blindness to bias going on.

2 minutes ago, RousseauRage said:

I'm sure fans of the Ravens think Josh is "unfairly propped up by the media too." A lot of blindness to bias going on.

Allen led the league in TDs last year and didn't even make the Pro Bowl. They gave Jackson an MVP for a totally pedestrian season. There is an obvious chasm in regards to how they're treated by the media and NFL players. Get real here, dude.

• Like (+1) 1

I still say that all of this goes back to the 2018 draft when BOTH Josh and Lamar were very polarizing figures. Many scouts thought Josh had elite talent with all of the desired measurables and may have been the most talented QB to EVER come out of college, while others felt that his production at Wyoming (in particular his accuracy) was underwhelming. Meanwhile, many scouts were intrigued by Lamar's Vick-like traits and thought he was an even more accomplished passer coming out of Lousiville; critics refused to even classify him as a QB (believing he was more of a Kordell Stewart "slash" player).

Clearly both of these young men have proven their naysayers wrong -- and both are among the best QBs in the league. However, while virtually everyone has come around on Lamar -- even feeling shame or denying ever having doubted him -- there are still plenty of folks out there (even on this message board) who want to stick with their initial assessments of Josh and stubbornly refuse to admit what a generational NFL QB he truly is. It's like every time he has a bad game, they are on hand to exclaim, "See, I was right!". The term "overrated" has even been tossed around by multiple sources over the last few weeks.

While both of these guys are top drawer NFL players, Lamar's skill set is far less transferable than Josh's. That is, Lamar needs the right offensive scheme and supporting talent that will allow him to thrive and best utilize his running prowess. Josh would thrive in ANY offense, past or present. You could literally take him off the Bills and put him on any of the other 31 teams' roster and he would still be an elite QB.

• Like (+1) 1

1) Had Likely's toe been an inch closer to the playing field, Lamar would have brought his team back for a victory. 2)Lamar had 395 combined passing and rushing yards agaist a top defense. Stop the nonsense, Jackson is a top quaility QB deserving of his MVP awards.

6 hours ago, DCOrange said:

He could retire today and probably be a first ballot hall of famer. Much weaker candidates have and will get into the Hall of Fame. 

That would be a huge joke.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Success said:

I don't know - he's also one of the most electric, fun-to-watch players in the league.  

Some other QB's would have been sacked 5-6 times tonight.  I don't know if there are too many guys who can improvise like he can.

An average QB would have completed both of the passes in the end zone on the two plays prior to the out of bounds pass to Likely.  The KC secondary played a poor game and Lamar really could not take advantage of it.  I'm not a hater, just being honest.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, MJS said:

That would be a huge joke.

It is what it is. Eli will probably be a first ballot guy this year and he’s never been remotely close to the level of QB Lamar is. The only active QBs ahead of Lamar in terms of HOF probability are Mahomes and Rodgers. 

7 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

I don’t hate Lamar at all.  I like him.  

He's fun.  

Good dude.  

Elite athlete.  Average QB.  Should NEVER have won MVP over Josh last season.   

Same. I think he is a good QB and deserves some praise. He seems like a good dude. I like his demeanor. I just wish there was honesty about his limitations in the media. I mean, Josh Allen gets FAR, FAR more criticism and Jackson is nowhere near the level of elite QB that he is.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

It is what it is. Eli will probably be a first ballot guy this year and he’s never been remotely close to the level of QB Lamar is. The only active QBs ahead of Lamar in terms of HOF probability are Mahomes and Rodgers. 

Eli is borderline to me. He threw for over 50k yards. Won two superbowls. He was a four time pro bowler. I would prefer to keep him out of the HOF, mainly because of his win percentage and turnover percentage. I think he has a much better case than Lamar Jackson. Jackson has no post season success. His first MVP year was legitimate. He had a great season. I'm not taking anything away from him there. He has been a good regular season QB, despite his limitations, and has benefited from elite defensive play his entire career so far.

11 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Eli Manning won two SBs against the greatest dynasty in NFL history. Lamar Jackson still can't go through progressions if his first option is covered. 

• Agree 1

He's certainly a top 10 talent when you put all of his traits together, but if you're just looking at classic QB traits (processing/audibles, passing strength, ability to navigate and step up in the pocket) then he's going to look unfavorably.  His statline looks way better than it was because of the YAC from Likely. 

So yeah, he's definitely overrated, but still a good QB with a multi-dimensional set of skills that help hide his deficiencies. In my opinion, he should not have won MVP again.