This just in(not really)........Lamar Jackson is a below-average QB propped up by the Media

Special K

6 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I guess but only a handful of QBs make the pass to Bateman that gets them down there in the first place. Being able to drive the ball like that is a rare talent and we shouldn't throw it under the rug.

I feel that QBs like Allen and Jackson are sometimes a victim of their own success. They make so many incredible circus plays that keep their team in games they have no business being in, and then they make one mistake or bad throw and all the critics point and say "see?? I told you he sucks!" Like they are at times single handedly dragging their offenses into tight games that would otherwise be a losing blowout, and then they're solely blamed for not making the one more play that was needed to finish the job.

The three bad passes at the end of the game were only part of it.  Andrews and Bateman were open frequently and barely got a look.  Lamar passed up on easy completions and took off with the ball.  It was almost like one read and take off running.  His footwork was terrible even when he had good protection.  Many of his completions had terrible ball placement.  Smart defensive coordinators try to take away the middle of the field and force Lamar to hit outside routes because he struggles with accuracy to that part of the field.  Lamar had some outstanding runs and showed some great quickness. He played with an apparent level of desperation because he probably realizes that he has to do crazy things in order to compete. He took some big hits and he won't finish a complete season, if he continues to take those.  Overall, Baltimore is not as good as I expected them to be.  Their o-line is a train wreck and Derrick Henry won't be able to provide the results that they are hoping to have.

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Exactly. The guy wants to talk context but ignores the context when it doesnt suit him.  The receivers did most of the work this game, not Jacksons arm.  Even on some of the game defining deeper throws, it was the receiver making an incredible catch. Jacksons running was still elite and helped keep them in the game though.

pass-chart_JAC323395_2024-REG-1_17255951

Edit: I just realized that you were probably talking about the game last year against 49ers. Im referring to last nights game.

Yea, I was talking about the 49ers game last year that catapulted him into the default MVP candidate for some reason. His chart in that one shows 4 or 5 passes 10 yards or more down the field which was actually more than I remember. Still the vast majority are dump offs around the LOS.

2 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Yea, I was talking about the 49ers game last year that catapulted him into the default MVP candidate for some reason. His chart in that one shows 4 or 5 passes 10 yards or more down the field which was actually more than I remember. Still the vast majority are dump offs around the LOS.

So just like last nights chart 🤣

15 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

That's a very good defense he played 

Got them to within one single toe

Lamar haters are weirdos just like Allen haters

His passes were trash last night. Maybe that is abnormal, but last night he was terrible. They were lucky to get it that close.

Lamar Jackson is a unicorn.  It is true he's not a very cerebral QB.  On the other hand, he is probably the most effective runner of any QB in the league.  That has allowed him to be successful.  I'd rather have Josh Allen or Patrick Mahomes or one or two other QBs than Jackson, but I wouldn't mind having Jackson.

• Agree 3

Also, Jackson has come up small in the playoffs, just a fact.  Allen on the other hand has had tremendous playoff games-- not always but many.  To me that indicates it will be difficult to win it all with Jackson.  I think Allen can.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, DasNootz said:

"Below average passer" is a defendable position.  "Below average quarterback" is not.    He is an offensive weapon - and I believe that many teams would happily trade their QB for him straight up.

I am sure Browns would with that contract they are saddled with but Lemar's agent is too smart for that and he could not be hanging out with his high school and college friends on practice nights drinking if he was in Cleveland.

2 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

I would not.  All of those QBs have above avg to elite passing skills.  At some point Jacksons running ability is going to slide.  Even if it hasnt slid, the better defenses can contain him most of the game. When either of these things happen, his passing skills can't make up for it.  Thats why his playoff record is so bad. Those QBs are still going to be above avg to elite when Jackson cant run anymore.  The only two I might not take ahead of him is Tua and Herbert.  Tua because without the speed and elite offensive coordinator, Tua probably would suck.  Herbert because I don't think the guy has any heart.

What about at this moment in time?

4 hours ago, Ga boy said:

I’d take him over Tua, Cousins, Dak, Hurts, Stafford, and Herbert.  So I’d say he’s #3.

But not Stroud. And maybe not Caleb Williams. And maybe even not Aaron Rodgers? (we forgot about him really fast, which is kind of ok with me)

2 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Herbert because I don't think the guy has any heart

Really?

The guy who played with broken ribs?

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ghost_002! said:

Josh was a finalist, was he not? And yea he even dwarfed L. Jackson in interceptions as well. Josh hit double digits which lead to him having a lower QBR than L.Jackson

But didn't he out throw him in yards, also TD's were like over double & attempts were more than Jacksons . The rushing TD's and yards were right there . So if you throw for twice as many yards, twice or 3 times as many TD's and your rushing yards are comparable who had the better season ? 

Not to mention you carry the team through the last half of the year starting out as the 11th seed all but out of the play offs and then carry them to win 6 in a row and wind up as the number 2 seed because of the QB's play alone pretty much . 

Well you can have Lamar i'll take Josh every day all day but again that's just me !!! GO BILLS !!! 

8 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

When you blatantly miss a wide open man in the EZ the play before it doesn't make you great. That throw wasn't even remotely close.

On further review he was not throwing to Flowers. The throw was to Bateman who stopped running. But that won’t change anything and I may oddly get banned for saying this - not sure why the mods have issue with that. I am a Bills fan but also know football. 

Totally disagree.

Lamar had over 300 total yards and when the game was on the line he led his team right down the field, on the road, in KC and came up 1 inch short.

Now, he's not as good as Mahomes or Allen, imo, but he is an electric player. 

Allen is an amazing generational talent but that doesn't mean you can't appreciate other great players as a fan of the sport. Lamar is one of the best ever playing the way he plays, which is different from most QBs.

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Agree 2

12 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I feel that QBs like Allen and Jackson are sometimes a victim of their own success. They make so many incredible circus plays that keep their team in games they have no business being in, and then they make one mistake or bad throw and all the critics point and say "see?? I told you he sucks!" Like they are at times single handedly dragging their offenses into tight games that would otherwise be a losing blowout, and then they're solely blamed for not making the one more play that was needed to finish the job.

That was like poetry.

4 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Really?

The guy who played with broken ribs?

Yeah the guy that needed to get his team a first down and turtled up before the first down marker when the nearest defender was 5 yards away. Very similar to a Kyle Orton move that everyone in Buffalo loved when it happened.

Edited by Scott7975

2 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Totally disagree.

Lamar had over 300 total yards and when the game was on the line he led his team right down the field, on the road, in KC and came up 1 inch short.

Now, he's not as good as Mahomes or Allen, imo, but he is an electric player. 

Allen is an amazing generational talent but that doesn't mean you can't appreciate other great players as a fan of the sport. Lamar is one of the best ever playing the way he plays, which is different from most QBs.

This is exactly how I see it too.

And if there's anything I've learned from watching Josh over the years, it's never make too many judgements off a single game - especially not week 1.

Allen & the Bills have lost 2 of their last 3 week 1 games, both to sub-par opponents. Josh's best regular season games last year weren't even nationally televised, so most people didn't see the best he had to offer. But when we did have nationally televised games, Allen struggled & threw a ton of INTs, which means that most people started judging him based off those performances.

If that continues, Allen will always struggle to win MVP. I'm only bringing up MVP because I think it's the reason many Bills fans are being overly critical of Lamar right now.

I knew the toe was going to take the cake around NFL media today. The real story of the Ravens was Jackson missing touchdown throws, and honestly.. the thing more puzzling is how he continues to call his team into bad plays. Slow developing play action on a jail break run blitz.. pshhh

Based on MVPs, you’d think Mahomes and Jackson have been the only two QBs in the NFL the past half decade. 

Oh, gotta barf on Colinsworth when he says IN THE FIRST HALF! that Lamar is “competing his tail off tonight!”

baaarrrrfffffff

23 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Both things can be true:  Jackson is fun to watch and electric where anything can happen at any moment and he's not a very good passing QB. 

When he played here in 2019, that was my takeaway. Hell of an athlete, great player. Ok passer

He makes it work, he’s a hell of a player and he made some incredible plays against KC. But is he on the level of Burrow, Allen, Mahomes? Not even close IMO. I think even the Ravens would say that 

• Like (+1) 1