This just in(not really)........Lamar Jackson is a below-average QB propped up by the Media

Special K

39 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

Trust me, I know. It's just when they do those "redrafts" sometimes Lamar is drafted above Josh. That makes people angry. BTW, if you want a fun read, try this.

I counter with this 

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Every year, everyone goes "multiple of these rookie QB's can be at least good to great QB's" and then fastforward 3 years and like one of them at most is even okay.

The Trevor Lawrence/Mac Jones/Justin Fields class didn't seem so bad after their first or second years.  Fastforward to today, everyone from that class has been cut or traded except Trevor, and Trevor has 1 playoff berth in his career.

Bo Nix, the 25 year old dink and dunker, will be better than a 2 MVP is certainly a take. 

8 hours ago, Special K said:

Can't read Defenses.

One read, then run it on nearly every play.

Most of the completions he did have were the result of great catches by his receivers of terrible throws.

Overthrows, throws into coverage, missing wide open receivers....I could go on and on.

He is nowhere near the level of Mahomes, Josh Allen or Joe Burrow, yet he is a 2 time MVP???

Give me a break.

I know some will disagree with me, but please tell me what you saw out there today(minus running the ball as many times as a RB in a game) that tells you he is on the same level as the top QB's in the league??

I also don’t think he audibles or alters protections. Consider all the cat and mouse stuff that Josh and the other top QBs do at the line based on their pre-snap reads.

• Like (+1) 1

I criticized Lamar’s passing ability all night, but he’s still a top QB. He brings a different skill set, although I’m not sure it’s one that can win titles. When people claim he’s not top ten, that’s ridiculous. QB’s like Justin Herbert have all the tools, but the production doesn’t match it. I think many are looking at stats, not actually watching the games. Jackson does more for his offense than what guys like Herbert or Lawrence accomplish when watching a full game. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, MJS said:

Don't forget Jordan Love. He had a great season last year. He has all the tools to become a great QB.

I need to see another year of Jordan Love. Lafleur is his Superman cape. As long Lafleur keeps making things easy for Love he will keep hiding his flaws as a slow processor and inaccurate passer. But he has his version of Daboll to Josh so certainly could fly up the QB list if he can be fixed

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I also don’t think he audibles or alters protections. Consider all the cat and mouse stuff that Josh and the other top QBs do at the line based on their pre-snap reads.

I agree there’s tons of flaws of

in his game. He also seems very clueless about clock management. That team is always a disaster in the two minute drill. His athleticism covers a lot of those huge deficits. I’d look at Baltimore as a legitimate contender if those deficits didn’t exist. 

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Agree on the first 5 but yikes on the second part.

i will bet you a lot of money that Maye and Nix don’t win multiple MVps and win 70% of their starts. DM to let me know the amount.

Oh I am not talking totality of career. Lamar may win that easily. I’m saying 5 years from now. Sorry that was probably confusing 

5 minutes ago, T.E. said:

Nothing about it is wrong. Manning is one or the most clutch QBs of all time. Jackson chokes in every big game he plays in and can't read defenses. His MVP award last year was a complete joke.

Eli “won” 2 SBs with teams that went 9-7 and 10-6 (while having a career .500 record and an 84 qb rating). He won one SB were they scored 13 points, a dude who had a football stick to his helmet, and an awesome defense that shut down one of the best offenses ever. 

Eli is certainly luckier than Lamar. But there is not one legitimate statistic where he is better than Lamar. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, SirAndrew said:

I criticized Lamar’s passing ability all night, but he’s still a top QB. He brings a different skill set, although I’m not sure it’s one that can win titles. When people claim he’s not top ten, that’s ridiculous. QB’s like Justin Herbert have all the tools, but the production doesn’t match it. I think many are looking at stats, not actually watching the games. Jackson does more for his offense than what guys like Herbert or Lawrence accomplish when watching a full game. 

I agree with this.  

I have him behind Mahomes and Allen, as an either/or with Burrow for 3rd or 4th best QB in the game. 

If the Chiefs are the measuring stick right now.. and they are.. there is just a massive drop off from watching Allen vs Mahomes compared to anyone else.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Great point with the Herbert example. I like him and it looks more like how you envision nfl qbs being. But he hasn’t done a thing better than Lamar unless you are the most biased person ever on the planet. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

That's a very good defense he played 

Got them to within one single toe

Lamar haters are weirdos just like Allen haters

Their defense is good, however, the Raven wide receivers were wide open in the end zone on multiple plays. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Sestak4ever said:

Their defense is good, however, the Raven wide receivers were wide open in the end zone on multiple plays. 

I don't know about you, but I can't even imagine a great QB missing an open receiver in the endzone at the end of the game vs the Chiefs.

• Haha (+1) 2

1.  Great DT, Chris Jones, in his face all night.

2. Terrible O line protecting him.

3.  Excellent DBs for the Chiefs.

4.  The sun was in his eyes, his shoes were too tight, he had a cold, he had a scratch on his throwing hand pinkie -- any more excuses?

The point about Jackson is that he doesn't do what the elite QBs do which is make plays when the game is on the line.  Way before the final flurry of lousy Jackson passes, the Ravens wasted a lot of time moving downfield.  And even getting as far down as they did was largely due to great catches by their new TE.  

With their poor-passing QB, and a terrible O line that leaves Derrick Henry helpless, the Ravens show themselves not a top AFC team.  

MVP??  What joke!  MVP twice?????  You've got to be kidding.

4 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

Oh I am not talking totality of career. Lamar may win that easily. I’m saying 5 years from now. Sorry that was probably confusing 

Thanks for the clarity and that makes more sense. I think Nix is the definition of a JAG and only got drafted because he got to play 8 years in college. Payton can prop him up but he has no remarkable traits and can see him being a backup in a few years. 

MAye is more interesting because I would rather the Pats have Mac Jones (terrible) than him. He has Allen “skills” but he has a lot of work to do and NE is a garbage organization right now. 

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I don't know about you, but I can't even imagine a great QB missing an open receiver in the endzone at the end of the game vs the Chiefs.

Unless that QB was being knocked sideways by Chris Jones.  Which Jackson wasn't.

9 hours ago, Special K said:

Can't read Defenses.

Most of the completions he did have were the result of great catches by his receivers of terrible throws.

Overthrows, throws into coverage, missing wide open receivers....I could go on and on.

He is nowhere near the level of Mahomes, Josh Allen or Joe Burrow, yet he is a 2 time MVP???

Give me a break.

I know some will disagree with me, but please tell me what you saw out there today(minus running the ball as many times as a RB in a game) that tells you he is on the same level as the top QB's in the league??

I do not think that he is BELOW average... I think he is a bona fide weapon with his legs... he may be an average or c minus passer but total package he is a solid B to me. That being said and I have said it before, I will never understand the infatuation with him that exhaults him to MVP status. Maybe that is a media thing or whatever, but to me overall he may be the biggest over rated QB out there.... (Lets see what happens with Rodgers this year) . I would also say the minute he becomes a less effective runner, or is injured to the point that running is really not a good option he becomes very  very average. So unless he reinvents himself like Elway did when he needed to stop running he is pretty much cooked when that happens. And he has no where near the arm or passing capabilities as Elway. 

Edited by JP51

9 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Great point with the Herbert example. I like him and it looks more like how you envision nfl qbs being. But he hasn’t done a thing better than Lamar unless you are the most biased person ever on the planet. 

Herbert is a far better passer than Jackson.  But, as you say, there's a lot more to being an effective QB than passing.

12 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Eli “won” 2 SBs with teams that went 9-7 and 10-6 (while having a career .500 record and an 84 qb rating). He won one SB were they scored 13 points, a dude who had a football stick to his helmet, and an awesome defense that shut down one of the best offenses ever. 

Eli is certainly luckier than Lamar. But there is not one legitimate statistic where he is better than Lamar. 

His Wonderlic score was literally three times better than Jackson's, and that's why he was able to read complex defenses and throw the ball further than five yards from the line of scrimmage!

9 hours ago, Special K said:

Can't read Defenses.

Give me a break.

He's better than you're saying here. 

But he does have problems in the passing game, no question. On the other hand he's not so weak there that they can't win an SB with him behind center. But they'd be better off with 5 - 7 other QBs, IMO, including Allen or Mahomes.

KC's line outplayed the Ravens OL and it made it awfully hard. 

This wasn't a good game, in passing anyway, but every QB has some bad games.

He deserved the MVPs. 

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Thanks for the clarity and that makes more sense. I think Nix is the definition of a JAG and only got drafted because he got to play 8 years in college. Payton can prop him up but he has no remarkable traits and can see him being a backup in a few years. 

MAye is more interesting because I would rather the Pats have Mac Jones (terrible) than him. He has Allen “skills” but he has a lot of work to do and NE is a garbage organization right now. 

Nix is more than just a guy. He’s a rookie this year and will have his lumps but he’s the long term answer barring injury. Kid processes the game very quickly and can throw accurately on the run. He’s a lesser version of Burrow imo. But time will tell

Just now, NeverOutNick said:

Nix is more than just a guy. He’s a rookie this year and will have his lumps but he’s the long term answer barring injury. Kid processes the game very quickly and can throw accurately on the run. He’s a lesser version of Burrow imo. But time will tell

Agree to disagee. Oregon is a gadget offense and he threw a lot of screens. When teams challenged him to beat them down field, he struggled. I also think it’s easier to process things when you’ve are in your 8th year in college. 😃

he is a better fit for Payton offenses but for as good of a rep as he has, what has he done without Brees? We’ll see.