This just in(not really)........Lamar Jackson is a below-average QB propped up by the Media

Special K

Lamar is a top 8 QB in the league.  He can turn any play into a home run.  When he is on, he makes some absolutely WOW plays happen.

However, the guy still makes rookie QB mistakes when he goes up against good competition.  He (like most QBs) feasts on bad teams.  In the playoffs he has a 2-4 record, a 1:1 TD/Int ratio passing, and a rating of 75.  With a 57% completion percentage.

He doesn't moved past his first read well enough, and when he does, he then stares down his second or third option.  The Ravens are a great team, and that defense played its butt off for Jackson to fumble early on, and then miss throws at the end.  

The guy is a talent.  Unfortunately, he doesn't seem like the guy who can elevate to the largest moments.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 6

42 minutes ago, MJS said:

That game was a joke, and the announcers did nothing but praise Lamar Jackson all night long. Jackson continues to be what he is: a gifted runner and a limited passer.

And they are going to induct him into the hall of fame. Just watch.

He could retire today and probably be a first ballot hall of famer. Much weaker candidates have and will get into the Hall of Fame. 

• Disagree 2

Hard to blame it all on him.

he didn’t miss the block on that 4th down conversion.

he didn’t make bad play calls, bad officiating calls, bad blocks, or missed fgs 

Lamar kept them in it more than he kept them out of it. Yes he needs to get rid of the ball quicker, but everyone needs to against Chris johnson. That also comes with good plans, play calls, and audibles.

he’s not better than Josh, but the ravens do ask him to bail them out just as much as the bills ask Josh to. 

the main difference b/w the teams isn’t mahomes and Lamar, it’s the supporting cast, bc it is a TEAM game.

… and ofc the refs 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MJS said:

That game was a joke, and the announcers did nothing but praise Lamar Jackson all night long. Jackson continues to be what he is: a gifted runner and a limited passer.

And they are going to induct him into the hall of fame. Just watch.

Of course he's going to the Hall of Fame. He's a two time MVP. If he retired today he'd be in.

He was the best player on the field today. Does he have limitations as a passer? Absolutely. That doesn't make him a poor QB - he just plays the position differently, much like Vick and Cunningham before him.

That said, I wouldn't choose him over Allen, Burrow, and probably 5 other guys, but he's absolutely an elite talent.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Ah yes the "if you take away his elite asset he is below average" game. When you evaluate Lamar Jackson the Quarterback you have to evaluate all of Lamar Jackson the Quarterback. Not just what he does as a passer. His entire game. 

He is not Allen or Mahomes but he is unique and brilliant in his own way.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Elite athlete.  Average QB.  Should NEVER have won MVP over Josh last season.   

I don't understand this narrative that Jackson cheated Allen out of the MVP last season.

Josh Allen was never in the MVP conversation.  He finished a distant 5th well behind Dak Prescott, CMC, and Scott Purdy.   Once the Ravens destroyed the 49ers in week 15, it was a foregone conclusion that Jackson would win, especially since the Niners vote got split evenly between CMC and Purdy.

If you don't think Jackson should have won the MVP, you should have said Jackson should not have won the MVP over Prescott, CMC or Purdy not Allen.

The reasons Allen didn't win the MVP are pretty apparent:

(1) The Bills didn't finish as one of the top two teams in the league

(2) Allen played pretty badly for a significant part of the season when most of the impressions are made.

(3) Allen had too many interceptions.  In particular, his three interceptions in the Jets game that everybody was watching re-enforced the impression that he is a turnover machine.

Edited by Billy Claude
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

I am not so extreme about it.  Yes he is over rated and did not really deserve the MVP last year but he is super talented and one of the best qbs in the nfl.  Mahomes and then Allen are clearly above him IMO but he is in the next grouping.  He does not get dinged for his injury issues and poor play in big moments….that. Is my issue with how he is treated by the media.  

5 hours ago, BigDingus said:

He sure looked better than Allen did week 1 last season... And against a significantly better team.

If you're using THIS game to make any determinations about Lamar, that's ridiculous.

"Please tell me what you saw out there today..."

I don't need to reference anything from today, the Ravens last 6 seasons show me they're a much better team with Lamar in there, he's a 2 x MVP (even though he shouldn't be), and is still a top tier QB.

Do I think Josh is better? Hell yeah I do! But as someone once told me, you don't need to put out someone else's candle to make yours brighter. Do I think the media props Lamar up? Definitely. But in his early years, they were equally critical & nitpicky, just like they were with Josh.

So again, people judging Lamar off one game are the same kind of people who made a mockery of Allen week 1 last year. I'm not joining in with that group, even if I think Lamar is overrated.

LOL, not a better defense by any means. Last time I checked Allen doesn’t play defense so you can only judge who they are going against. And at the beginning of the year before injuries, the Jets defense was hands down better than the Chiefs.

5 hours ago, Special K said:

Not judging him off of one game, this is a pattern.

He crapped the bed in the playoffs vs. the Chiefs last year, and vs. the Bills in the playoffs a few years ago. He pads his stats vs. bad teams, then is exposed when he plays against good teams....it happens almost every time.

I thought this was a Lamar thread not a McDermott thread

• Haha (+1) 1

I’ve had him on fantasy teams in the past, including last season and he drove me crazy.   He’s very, very inconsistent.  I also had Tua last year and I’d put him in for Lamar after another mediocre game and he would of course go off.

He was one of the leading fantasy scoring QBs, but I swear a big chunk of it was in the 3 or 4 times I benched him.  The rest of the games he was underwhelming.  When he was named MVP, I couldn’t comprehend it.

Now, as far as his actual play, his missed throws at the end cost them.  Also, when has he won big games at the end by throwing the ball?  If you can contain his running some, he’s not an effective QB.  The Bills did an excellent job of it when playing them a couple years ago.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

That's a very good defense he played 

Got them to within one single toe

Lamar haters are weirdos just like Allen haters

When he can single handedly pick his team up and execute the plays to win a relevant game when he must be will deserve what he gets. His team has always beaten lesser opponents, historically had solid defenses and good coaching, and most importantly the teams that face difficulty with the Ravens and specifically Jackson are not accustomed to his style of play. Their own divisional opponents don't even fear the ravens. 

He's a very gifted football player but he is an average to mediocre quarterback. 

Conversely, Watson is leaps and bounds a better QB and just as good of a runner/athlete and gets nothing compared to the adoration of Jackson. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Ah yes the "if you take away his elite asset he is below average" game. When you evaluate Lamar Jackson the Quarterback you have to evaluate all of Lamar Jackson the Quarterback. Not just what he does as a passer. His entire game. 

He is not Allen or Mahomes but he is unique and brilliant in his own way.

This is well said. He's a good player because of all he brings to the field. He's average ball passer at worst. But he's an elite all around player. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Low Positive said:

Bills fans hate on Lamar because he was drafted after Josh and has two MVPs. The implication being that the Bills made a mistake.

Wrong on so many levels.  I can’t think of a Bills fan who would want Lamar instead of Josh.  There is literally no reason to “hate” on Lamar; it’s not as if he voted himself MVP.  It is reasonable, however, to question the voters who continue to ignore Josh’s production and, by comparison, his success in the playoffs.

As for Lamar’s play last night…he did what he could to keep them in the game.  He’s not a refined, accurate passer and never has been, but he made play after play and was a toe away from sending that game to OT.  He’s always going to miss throws you think he should make, but he’s also going to make plays only he can make.

From day 1 I have stayed true to this and no matter how often I say it, I always get pushback. Jackson is an incredible runner. Maybe the best I have ever seen after Barry Sanders. Even counting running backs. He’s incredible. He’s not a passer. He’s not Tim Tebow, you can obviously get bye with him but he’s not a passer. He is pretty decent at wide open throws in the middle of the field but he can’t make the throws outside the numbers and doesn’t fit balls into windows. If you can stop the run and you can score on them….the Ravens struggle. The biggest issue is most teams can’t stop them from running to begin with.  The guy is an excellent football player and I’m not trying to hate on the guy..but he’s just not a good passer.

Going to share a bit of context before I get to my point so please indulge me:

Had a buddy in town this weekend with his wife and, when we were actually able to get a word in, we talked about Josh vs Lamar…in other words a short conversation.  This guy is from Utah and grew up a casual 49ers fan.  He played D1 at Utah State and moved to Upstate NY immediately after college which is when I met him.   He admits he does not have a team he roots for and by doesn’t watch a ton of football.   But given his experience I like to think he knows a bit about football.  His son, after growing up an Indy fan due to Peyton, is now a Ravens fan.   

When we talked about which QB you would select to start your actual (not fantasy -puke) football team and could only select between Josh and Lamar he said it was a closer contest than he knew I would like.  He said he’d take Lamar due to his 2 MVPs….

I remained calm and came back with the stats specifically with leading in the number of TDs scored over last several seasons… his response - Yeah but Josh can’t win the big games….he didn’t know what to say when I asked how many postseason games Lamar has won.  

Basically if you don’t really watch the games you will go with what the media wants you to go with.   

Is Lamar trash?  IMO no but he seems to be more gadget QB with some pretty good success.  But I don’t think he has been able to put the entire team on his back as often as Josh has and in the bigger situations.  

Plus you add in the durability question and I just don’t think he’s worthy of a higher ranking in any stack ranking list.   

But just like this weekend -trying to have conversation in the midst of a lot of background noise is tough.   

• Like (+1) 1