Has where you grew up changed a lot?

Another Fan

1 minute ago, Punching Bag said:

Thanks for information.  I am assuming this is California where motorcycles are very big.  First time I drove there I was shocked to seeing caravan of bikes driving down middle of road between lanes of traffic.

Henchmen-MC-Patch-Logo.png

This was in KW, Ontario, Canada.....at the time, the seediest section of town, if not the province.

The city and the cops eventually incarcerated a whole slew of guys, razed the old neighborhood to the ground and created a parking lot for most of the area.......it was a time and area they would rather forget.

Grew up in a little town in Chautauqua county.  No stop light and maybe 500 people.  That hasn’t changed.  The two bars closed down, the hotel burned down and there’s only one grocery store.  I pass through once every 3-4 years and it feels about the same as it did.   The Jamestown area is the biggest “city” nearby.  It’s gone downhill badly.  All of the manufacturers left years ago and nothing will ever replace the jobs.  That’s pretty sad…

I just drove down what I used to think was the most beautiful street in the world. It hasn’t changed at all, but I have. It’s a bunch of bad architecture designed to impress, without actually being impressive (in a good way). I then drove thru Woodstream Farms, and it seems as lovely as ever. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I just drove down what I used to think was the most beautiful street in the world. It hasn’t changed at all, but I have. It’s a bunch of bad architecture designed to impress, without actually being impressive (in a good way). I then drove thru Woodstream Farms, and it seems as lovely as ever. 

The mean streets of Williamsville! 😆 🤣 

I'm living ⅓ mile from where I grew up in Cheektowaga, so I saw the gradual changes. I pass by our house every time I go to the supermarket. We sold the house 3 years ago when mom died.  The people that bought it haven't made any external changes yet.

Edited by Wacka

6 hours ago, f0neguy said:

Grew up in a little town in Chautauqua county.  No stop light and maybe 500 people.  That hasn’t changed.  The two bars closed down, the hotel burned down and there’s only one grocery store.  I pass through once every 3-4 years and it feels about the same as it did.   The Jamestown area is the biggest “city” nearby.  It’s gone downhill badly.  All of the manufacturers left years ago and nothing will ever replace the jobs.  That’s pretty sad…

I still think it's awesome Lucille Ball is from Jamestown.  Went with the fam to the Lucille Ball museum and the National Comedy Center last year and we drove by her childhood home and visited her gravesite.  Pretty cool stuff.  I feel like when people talk about famous WNYers she often gets left out of the conversation.  Granted she moved on to NYC and Hollywood and never came back so maybe that's why there isn't a strong association of her to WNY.  

• Like (+1) 1

City and north tonawanda has not changed much.

the downtown canal front areas have gone through some business changes.

they moved a Tops across the canal

NT had some small pieces of land that they built some new housing since 2000.

100%

Although to be fair, I am not sure if it’s changed from when I grew up or my perspective has changed how I perceive it.

I grew up in a house on a cross street off of two major roads. Good home. Decent yard, no neighbors immediately in our space, semi-rural with fields around us. I always thought of it as lesser than many of my friends homes, especially those who lived in newer developments. Not necessarily in terms of size or quality, but in that it was not part of those desirable areas. 

At the time, I found those neighborhoods enticing. They were classic white picket fence suburban utopia. Close enough for me to ride my bike, but far enough to feel like I never belonged. 

Fast forward 10-20 years: 

I moved to the city, chasing the nightlight and experiences, and then found myself slowly working from down town, to north buffalo, then to Amherst, to east Amherst and now out to Clarence in an area much like which I grew up.

I find it funny that I always thought I wanted to live in one of those developments. As much as I did enjoy it for the 5 years we were there, I’ve found where we are now to be more liberating in terms of truly living how I’d like. 

All that being said, when I go back to where I grew up to visit my parents, I have an appreciation for their property and driving through those neighborhoods I used to envy make me chuckle as I now look at how divided and broken the Properties seem (smaller lots, neighbors all around, etc)

I am Not sure if this is where I’ll die, but I am happy here for now and proud to raise my family in a similar area to where I grew up. I wonder if my kids will be like I did, or theyll appreciate it more in real time. 

to each their own! 

4 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

It builds character. I used to ride my 10 speed over the North Bridge fairly regularly. On the sidewalk of course. Just don't fall left...or right...

I was driving an oversized Buick at 16. I was sure everybody was dead. 

You’re welcome.