HS team executes brilliant underhand thrown fake punt

Big Turk

18 hours ago, Simon said:

When I was younger I could be accurate at 20-30 yards like that.

The key is the windup, sort of like fastpitch softball; a couple practice throws and you'll find the angle to make it come off your hand tight.

Not making this up. 

When my Uncle Rico was young, he could throw a football over mountains. 

• Haha (+1) 2

20 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Josh Allen did nothing comparable to a fake slide versus Pittsburgh ...

He literally never started to lower himself to the ground...  Josh Allen's been shimmying like that since he got to the bills and it's nothing like a fake slide.. it's more of a stuttered juke

Reading his body language on that play, I'm pretty sure there wasn't any intent to 'fake slide'. 

To my eyes it appeared he started to go that way for a split second, assessed the situation, and before committing himself to it, he quickly changed his mind, deciding he could gain more yards.

An NFL calibur top defensive back would read that in a heartbeat and jump the lobbed ball. I know you mean well OP, but these guys are the best for a reason.  They are some of the fastest guys on the planet and know how to play it.  It may work in some small high school, but not an NFL team.

Id love our opponent to do this to us so Rapp or more likely Taron will jump it, and it s a pic six.

Ill agree it’s fun to see in HS football.

Cool but I don't know how hard this would be to stop. The underhand toss I see here basically goes into a crowd of 2 punt team players and 4 defenders. Good for the offense a punt team player comes down with it of course but generally throwing a ball into a 2 on 4 on 4th down is not a plus play.

22 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

There's been spread type plays in the NFL for a long time 

What has changed is how many teams are using them consistently 

30 years ago only a couple teams were using spread concepts.. now every team does

That's why the majority of spread quarterbacks failed before this new modern era of football..  the majority could not play in a pro style offense where they had to make four five reads 

You can't put kyler Murray  in a under center offense and have him do seven step drops and read two wide receivers two tight ends and a running back... He needs defined spread reads to be successful 

College football has stopped putting out pro style pocket passers for the most part.. NFL teams had to adjust their offenses because they're not getting classic quarterbacks 

As for the wildcat that was a slightly new innovation, which was a fad... It had success for one season... And the next year the entire league caught up

I think part of the problem with the wildcat was that it became insanely predictable in the majority of scenarios.  If a team with a traditional pocket QB chose to run it, you have to have some variety to it.  Like if miami had a jet motion tyreek come across, that becomes a possible misdirection, you can also have the "quarterback" have a 2nd back as an option pitch.  When you just shotgun it and run into a wall you may as well just do a QB sneak.  

4 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I think part of the problem with the wildcat was that it became insanely predictable in the majority of scenarios.  If a team with a traditional pocket QB chose to run it, you have to have some variety to it.  Like if miami had a jet motion tyreek come across, that becomes a possible misdirection, you can also have the "quarterback" have a 2nd back as an option pitch.  When you just shotgun it and run into a wall you may as well just do a QB sneak.  

Yea I think the wildcat could still be semi successful in some situations 

Consistently doing quarterback sneaks and getting your quarterback pounded by 300 lb guys is tough...

On the goal line , it might be the time to put in an extra offensive lineman... Get a fullback back there, and direct snap... That's basically your QB sneak but you don't have to beat him up 

And you got an extra blocker 

But I don't see teams running for a thousand yards like the dolphins did

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

An NFL calibur top defensive back would read that in a heartbeat and jump the lobbed ball. I know you mean well OP, but these guys are the best for a reason.  They are some of the fastest guys on the planet and know how to play it.  It may work in some small high school, but not an NFL team.

Id love our opponent to do this to us so Rapp or more likely Taron will jump it, and it s a pic six.

Ill agree it’s fun to see in HS football.

It's a trick play though.  The idea is that the other team doesn't know that its coming.  

50 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yea I think the wildcat could still be semi successful in some situations 

Consistently doing quarterback sneaks and getting your quarterback pounded by 300 lb guys is tough...

On the goal line , it might be the time to put in an extra offensive lineman... Get a fullback back there, and direct snap... That's basically your QB sneak but you don't have to beat him up 

And you got an extra blocker 

But I don't see teams running for a thousand yards like the dolphins did

No, probably not - and wildcat has become more irrelevant as more QBs coming out now are athletic enough to run draws, RPOs, and options if you need to.  Why sub out the QB and give away what I'm trying to do? 

Taysom Hill is a good example of someone fitting some creative offensive play design around a player taking snaps instead of their QB.  Maybe we'll see it more as more athletic QBs are drafted and potentially resulting in more position switches.  

6 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

It's a trick play though.  The idea is that the other team doesn't know that its coming.  

Im with you, but it’s just nfl D Backs can jump that route in their sleep.  These guys are 4.4 to 4.3 and change on a dime.  High school kids get caught which is a great high school move, but it’s only a high school move.  Do you think McD wouldn’t do it if it would work.

I applaud the HS coach for his move.  I coached 12-14 olds in football, but that’s different from the nfl.

1 minute ago, machine gun kelly said:

Im with you, but it’s just nfl D Backs can jump that route in their sleep.  These guys are 4.4 to 4.3 and change on a dime.  High school kids get caught which is a great high school move, but it’s only a high school move.  Do you think McD wouldn’t do it if it would work.

I applaud the HS coach for his move.  I coached 12-14 olds in football, but that’s different from the nfl.

I think the issue is most of the time the players blocking the gunners aren't looking for the ball.  Doesn't matter how fast you are if you never look for the ball because it's not your job to catch the punt.  The returner is likely too deep to get there, and if he doesn't see the throw - he's going to wave it off and tell everyone not to touch it because... if you touch a punt its a live ball.  

I just don't see it working because I'm not sure who's eligible, and I'm not sure how far you throw it to find a player.  Just feels likely to hit the ground in most scenarios.  

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

it might possibly work, but if it was ever tried even once then every team would drill for it and prepare for it, making it impossible to pull off a second time

Kinda has to be a check style play - I saw X number of players on the LOS which is different from their normal alignment.  Maybe they go for a block and you can trickle someone out.  

• Like (+1) 1

This play design is at least 20 years old and is often called "vomit" because the underhanded throw looks like the kind of poor punt that would make an ST coach vomit.

Here video of the play:

https://coachtube.com/course_lesson/viral-shield-punt-fake-vomit/viral-vomit-pressbox-view/21540734?a=0d90ee66aac64614b00ca7657&utm_source=sendfox&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=the-viral-fake-punt-vomit-by-jeremy-plaa-at-downey-high-school