Josh getting MVP love

DJB

45 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

If Josh throws for more than 9 interceptions he'll be immediately formulated out of the NFL's MVP criteria. 17 should already have at least one. When do players like Lamar get disqualified for their garbage playoff performances every year....and just remember folks the NFL says for every Allen interception,  you deduct 2 tds.

I disagree.

As a couple of others have already said, the MVP now is the QB of one of the two #1 seeds. So, if the Bills get the #1 seed he's got approximately a 50% chance. If he puts up better stats than the NFC #1 seed QB, he'll win. If the Bills win the East and are #3 seed, very little chance of him being MVP regardless of stats.

• Like (+1) 1

Josh didn't win MVP last year because of picks and the narrative about him being a turnover machine despite half of those picks being 3rd and long, 4th down and off Diggs/Davis hands. People don't care about that. They see 18 interceptions and go Oh he cost the  Bills games despite having the 2 seed. Mahomes has 8 less interceptions the last 3 years. Mahomes has 105 throwing TDs, Josh has 100. Josh has 28 rushing TDs, Mahomes has 6.

So Allen has 128 TDs vs 47 picks

Mahomes has 111 Tds vs 39 picks

So Allen has 17 TDs vs 8 picks.

Yet Mahomes doesn't get hit with turnover machine. Mahomes throws a lot of TDs on TE screens and RB screens but his one yard shuffle pass to Kelce is more important than Allen's 1 yard TD. It's just the media creating a narrative. Lamar had absolutely no reason to win MVP last year. He isn't even the best player on his time (Roquon Smith) and because he didn't have to play at all down 2 scores the Ravens could protect him and not make him throw. It's dumb. Allen is the 2nd best QB in the league and the most talented but gets no respect and "over-rated" and choker labels put on him. 

• Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

How about we actually play some, you know, football first?  Just my opinion …

I mean the entire point is to make these predictions before the season has started, the prediction loses a bit of the magic if you wait a few weeks to know what you have first.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, dma0034 said:

Allen is the 2nd best QB in the league and the most talented but gets no respect and "over-rated" and choker labels put on him. 

I don't really care about the MVP thing, but this is what really frustrates me about the criticism of Josh.  Outside of the opener against the Jets last year (where Josh really was putrid), how many games has Allen lost for us in the clutch over the past three years?  Have there been any outside of that game?  Yet I frequently hear the morons on sports radio or ESPN reference Allen's turnovers giving away important games or that he fails to come through in the clutch and postseason.  It's clear that they are just riding along on some prepackaged narrative about Allen and don't ever bother to watch him.  Two weeks ago I heard a national radio guy say that Jared Goff was better than Allen, and that he prefers him to Josh, because Goff doesn't make the backbreaking turnover that costs his team big games. 🤡

Edited by TheBrownBear
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, dma0034 said:

Mahomes has 8 less interceptions the last 3 years. Mahomes has 105 throwing TDs, Josh has 100. Josh has 28 rushing TDs, Mahomes has 6.

So Allen has 128 TDs vs 47 picks

Mahomes has 111 Tds vs 39 picks

So Allen has 17 TDs vs 8 picks.

Allen also has 28 fumbles over that period.  128 TDs vs 75 picks and fumbles compared to 111 TDs vs 58 picks and fumbles.   So he’s got 17 more TDs than Mahomes but also 17 more INTs and fumbles.

• Vomit 1

Unfortunately, it feels like voters don't really respect Allen the same way they do other QBs.

And with all the talk from players to anonymous GMs about Allen being "overrated," it doesn't seem like 2024 is positioned well for Allen to win MVP.

Also, having 4 of your first 6 games being at night could really backfire if they're nationally televised. It's definitely a good opportunity for a lot of people to see you, but they can also reaffirm biases when you don't play great. Look at nationally televised games from 2023 for example:

Jets (MNF) - 4 turnovers to start the year, leading to tons of memes about Allen starting off the year in peak "turnover machine" form

Jags (London) - Sloppy game. Josh & the whole offense scored 1 TD until 4 minutes left in the 4th.

Giants (SNF) - 169 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT, barely escaped with a 14-9 win against the 1-5 Giants.

Bucs (TNF) - Pretty good game through 3 quarters, still got a little too close at the end.

Bengals (SNF) - Not good, outplayed by Burrow. Josh & the offense looked stagnant.

Broncos (MNF) - 3 turnovers, embarrassing MNF loss to the Broncos & a ST choke job at the end.

Chargers (Christmas Eve Peacock) - Bills barely win against the 5-10 Easton Stick Chargers. Allen played solid, but offense still didn't look good.

Dolphins (SNF) - Awful first half, good 2nd half. 2 INTs & 2 TDs, but enough for the win.

So when you look at the games that were nationally televised in some capacity, the majority of the country saw a LOT of sloppy Bills play, a lot of turnovers, and not against the toughest competition.

Despite his 40+ TDs, this is what I think killed his MVP chances last year. If Allen has any shot at winning this year, we definitely need him to ball out in these types of games. He's also got to cut back on the turnovers... and somehow string together multiple games without an INT instead of setting records for longest stretch of consecutive games with an INT.

Edited by BigDingus

38 minutes ago, Billl said:

Allen also has 28 fumbles over that period.  128 TDs vs 75 picks and fumbles compared to 111 TDs vs 58 picks and fumbles.   So he’s got 17 more TDs than Mahomes but also 17 more INTs and fumbles.

Are those fumbles actual lost fumbles (turnovers) or is that his fumble total that includes not losing possession?  I didn't check, so asking, as there is a big difference.

13 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Are those fumbles actual lost fumbles (turnovers) or is that his fumble total that includes not losing possession?  I didn't check, so asking, as there is a big difference.

How is there a difference?  A fumble is a fumble.  Is an interception better if your defense gets a stop?  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, Billl said:

How is there a difference?  A fumble is a fumble.  Is an interception better if your defense gets a stop?  

Look at it this way...it's the difference between a dropped "interception" versus an actual interception.  We are talking about turnovers, not potential turnovers.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Look at it this way...it's the difference between a dropped "interception" versus an actual interception.  We are talking about turnovers, not potential turnovers.

I understand the reasoning.  It’s just flawed.  A fumble doesn’t suddenly become less or more of a mistake depending on what color jersey the person who falls on it is wearing.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

As long as they continue to ignore his stats, Josh Allen is never gonna win the MVP, 

2 hours ago, Billl said:

Allen also has over 350 carries over that period whereas Mahomes only has about 200, which goes a long way explaining the fumble differential.

• Like (+1) 1