putting a dog down.......UGH

Sweats

I’m so sorry. I know and hate that sense of loss, but making it to 18 is a very good run for a lab. It’s easy for me to tell you to remember the good things, but that takes time. I’ve always felt there was something missing in the house when they are gone. Somehow you can just feel a void. 

4 hours ago, qwksilver said:

Worst day of the year. But take relief in that you gave her a great life. Sorry for you and your family.

I actually had a dog give us a signal. She went an laid in the middle of the back yard at 3 am, something she had never done before. So I laid with her till the vet opened. She had cancer and she knew it was time. 

I had a dog do that, she went somewhere she would never go and laid down to die. I was fortunate that the vet was open and we learned an unknown tumor had broken free and was pressing on her heart. She was fine when my son left for school, and gone when he got home. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 2

Another recommendation for an at home procedure.  The company we used took care of our buddy as well as us. It was actually a really beautiful process and outcome.  They deserve the best possible ending. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

37 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Another recommendation for an at home procedure.  The company we used took care of our buddy as well as us. It was actually a really beautiful process and outcome.  They deserve the best possible ending. 

My wife and I have decided this with our pets. Her soul cat, a 17-year-old tortoise shell named Bella, has pancreatitis. It is treatable but my wife and I have had the talk about when the time comes, we will have her put down at home. She has been with my wife for 16 1/2 of her 17 years. I may have just my wife in the room when it's time for Bella to cross the rainbow bridge.

• Like (+1) 2

I'm so sorry. It's never easy. I'm unfortunately selfish when it comes to this. I get in denial and tell myself "They're ok. They're not as bad as it seems." I realized I'm making the decision on when I'm ready and not them, and that's not fair. I've lost three myself and doing better on putting them down when the time is right FOR THEM. The vet tells me the time is right when they stop eating and/or enjoying doing the things they love to do.

• Like (+1) 1

Yesterday was brutal......it didn't actually hit me until we were at the vet and while we were waiting and watching the whole process take place, i remembered what a vet from 10 years ago told me when i had to put my other Lab down......"sometimes, putting a dog down is the last act of kindness that we can give them".......and once that thought rolled into my head, i blubbered like a little kid.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Sweats said:

Yesterday was brutal......it didn't actually hit me until we were at the vet and while we were waiting and watching the whole process take place, i remembered what a vet from 10 years ago told me when i had to put my other Lab down......"sometimes, putting a dog down is the last act of kindness that we can give them".......and once that thought rolled into my head, i blubbered like a little kid.

It’s true, and it’s all part of the process. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Let me put it into perspective of having an 18 year old dog..........I told my wife yesterday that if our dog was a kid, she would be in university or college by now.

That's a long, long time to have a dog and have a pet commitment.........and not that i am complaining, but you are fairly limited for what you can do in your everyday life and especially when the dog gets older and requires more care, help and attention.

I know my wife felt relief yesterday and that a great weight was lifted off her shoulders, as the dog looked to my wife as the main caregiver.

• Like (+1) 4

• 2 weeks later...

I’m sure it was mentioned already but….

our vet has one of those little light candles at the desk with a note that says if this light is on someone lost a friend.  You can feel the somberness in the room. We noticed it on normal check up and really noticed when we were on the other side of that situation. 

sorry for your loss. It’s a tough day.