putting a dog down.......UGH

Sweats

I'm going to put the old dog down at noon today.......18 year old Lab still acts like a puppy, but can't really walk anymore.

My wife was waiting for a sign that the dog was ready, but it's not like the thing is going to look at her and say, "well, todays the day", so you make a judgement call and live with it.

18 years is a long time for a big Lab, so you weigh the options for the quality of life, you make the decision and understand that they don't wake up one day and start to feel better, can miraculously see and hear and can walk normally.......it only keeps getting worse and worse.

It's a terrible day.

That is all......carry on.

• Sad 8

sorry man.  it's so incredibly hard but you're doing the only thing you can do.  an 18 year old lab is amazing.  i have a 13 and a half year old lab, and he seems to be having more trouble every day.  i've started doing the mental gymnastics about what to do when his time comes, but i'm bracing for it.  you've been that dog's best friend for 18 years, so keep up with that mentality and give him a peaceful send off.  

• Like (+1) 2

We have gone thru this twice with Ivan and King but in each case it was cancer and my wife said no more dogs but my daughter was lonely so we got another one. You had many years with your dog assuming you got it when young.   I am sure you gave it a happy life.

Sad day.

• Like (+1) 1

It's only been within the past 2 years or so where her vision was getting bad, her hearing was going dim, her legs were shaky and having trouble carrying her weight. She's spent most of the past 2 years just eating and sleeping, with very little pain that we could tell, however, she was always prone to seizures every once in a while, throughout her life and yesterday she had another one (a seizure with an 18-year-old dog is not a pretty sight) ......and that's when my wife finally decided to let her go.

This is the absolute worst part of pet ownership.

Won't judge, but I strongly urge you to be in the room with the dog when the time comes. They'll look for you in their time, and be happy and comfortable and able to rest easy if you are there. Just like they would be there for you.

We always use the services that come to the home so they can be extra comfortable.

Again, I'm so sorry. But 18 years is a great run. Sounds like you gave them a full and happy life. Not much more you can ask for.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

I have had 2 black labs in last 20 years.  My last one died a year ago October at 15. it was time. you just know. it's is such a big loss. I'm still very sad over it...and yes, be with them the whole time till the end. it's important

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This is the absolute worst part of pet ownership.

Won't judge, but I strongly urge you to be in the room with the dog when the time comes. They'll look for you in their time, and be happy and comfortable and able to rest easy if you are there. Just like they would be there for you.

We always use the services that come to the home so they can be extra comfortable.

Again, I'm so sorry. But 18 years is a great run. Sounds like you gave them a full and happy life. Not much more you can ask for.

Yeah, we will definitely be in the room when it's time.

I had to put my other Lab down about 10 years ago (cancer) and was with her the whole time.......she stared at me, looked off into space, and fell asleep for the last time. It was peaceful as hell for both of us.

• Like (+1) 7

Worst day of the year. But take relief in that you gave her a great life. Sorry for you and your family.

I actually had a dog give us a signal. She went an laid in the middle of the back yard at 3 am, something she had never done before. So I laid with her till the vet opened. She had cancer and she knew it was time. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 2

53 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Yeah, we will definitely be in the room when it's time.

I had to put my other Lab down about 10 years ago (cancer) and was with her the whole time.......she stared at me, looked off into space, and fell asleep for the last time. It was peaceful as hell for both of us.

Same w my husky.  I held her head, she stared at me, I kissed her as the needle went in.  She looked at me, let her head down in my hands and went to sleep.  Peaceful for her.  For me...well I was a wreck the whole drive home.  

And yes, worst part of pet ownership by a country mile.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

So sorry to hear this.   We just put our 11 year old Bassett down 2 weeks ago today.    Worst day and decision I ever had.     His arthritis got much worse along with some other issues we knew it was time.  Thankfully I found a Vet that would come to the house and had it done there.    Had to go to the store later that same day and don't know why I turned to look behind me but there was a huge rainbow going across the sky.    I knew he was happy and where he was supposed to be.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

although it is the right thing for your pet it feels so sad. Knowing it is right doesn't make it any easier. Right at this very moment I'm looking at my dog and my heart breaks for you.

I'm so sorry for your loss. 

• Like (+1) 1

The decision process is the hardest part. Here I am two years later still wondering if I handled those last days the right way and whether I made the call at the right time. "Did I do it right?" is a recurring thought.

I'm sorry for your loss.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Like it was said before, it’s the worst part of pet ownership.

When our foodmonger dog would not get up for breakfast, we knew it was time. 

A sad day to endure, for sure. May your family find peace when it is over.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, boater said:

The decision process is the hardest part. Here I am two years later still wondering if I handled those last days the right way and whether I made the call at the right time. "Did I do it right?" is a recurring thought.

I'm sorry for your loss.

I watched a video with a Vet who said... "You'd rather be a week too early than a day too late"     I was thinking the same way you are thinking and that helped me with the decision.  

• Like (+1) 3