Team Captains ???

Saint Douggie

1 hour ago, Roundybout said:

Thats it. 

I gotta say, this is interesting. It bucks the trend of having lots of captains.  I wonder who decided just to have two: one for offense and one for defense and screw special teams.  Was this a player decision?  Coach decision?  

I get there's going to be a Leadership Council but I'd love to hear more about the rationale of doing things differently this year.

Cool to see Bernard taking his place as one of the two captains.  

Edited by hondo in seattle

1 hour ago, dancing_joker said:

Remember when that article came out about Pegula wanting Josh to be a better leader and everyone scoffed? I bet this was part of that plan…

Yep. I think everything that has happened since that article pretty much confirms to me that its content was accurate. This is just another brick in the wall. From things McDermott has said about it being Josh's team, to the report about Brady getting him to chair and report back on offensive players only meetings, to making him the only offensive captain (when Dion is arguably the second most qualified captain candidate on the entire roster). It says to me that there is a feeling inside the building, right or wrong, that they are not getting everything they would like from Allen as a leader.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, Cash said:

I've been seeing a bunch of other teams releasing their announcements of team captains, and I'm jealous now.  What's taking the Bills so long?  Need a couple recounts on the votes?

My guesses are below.  Of note, McDermott went with 6 team captains from 2017-2019, then 7 in 2020, 8 in 2021, 9 in 2022, and back to 8 last year.  I feel like we might be back to a lower number this year with all the incumbent captains departing?

Offense

-Allen and Dawkins are locks IMO, although Dawkins hasn't been a captain since 2020 I think he's such a veteran leader he's gotta be one this year.

-Mack Hollins.  Everyone on the Bills appears to be obsessed with this guy.  He might also count as a special teams captain.

-Dalton Kincaid?

Defense

-Bernard.  He's the QB of the defense.  Edmunds was a team captain basically every year till he left.  Now that Bernard is the established starter, he'll get the C.

-Von Miller has been a captain each of the last 2 years.  Hard for me to think they take it away this year.

-Benford?

Special Teams

-Mack Hollins? (see above)

-Casey Toohill?

Going forward, Miller will never have a "C" on his jersey without the "D.O." before it... 

22 hours ago, MPL said:

wtf does the leadership council do? Do they, like, vote on if Josh is being too nice or too mean in his leadership style? I'm going to need some clarity here. 

They wear cool robes (red & blue, of course), talk about the direction of the team... and of course they perform the Initiation Ceremony whenever a guy is signed or called up from the practice squad.

17 hours ago, dancing_joker said:

Remember when that article came out about Pegula wanting Josh to be a better leader and everyone scoffed? I bet this was part of that plan…

Not everyone.... its time to have him take over... and honestly that should include challenging him at the LOS to alter play calls according to defenses. 

Does any other team in the NFL ever have more team captains than the McDermott-era Bills?

What a waste of time and energy. 

Enough of this rah-rah crap.

Go out and win some ***** games in January. 

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Does any other team in the NFL ever have more team captains than the McDermott-era Bills?

They have 2 captains. Are they only supposed to have 1?

3 minutes ago, Beast said:

They have 2 captains. Are they only supposed to have 1?

They had 8 last year, which was nothing short of asinine. 

Glad to see they’ve matured. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

Bengals, Bears and Fins have named the maximum of captains this year; 8. A lot of other teams have 7 or 6. Others like the Ravens appoint the captains weekly. The Bills are alone in only having two.

9 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

Bengals, Bears and Fins have named the maximum of captains this year; 8. A lot of other teams have 7 or 6. Others like the Ravens appoint the captains weekly. The Bills are alone in only having two.

Any team with more than two captains deserves to suck.