Week 1 Brazil Game

bobobonators

For once we have an advantage in Canada.  We get all these exclusive games as part of most cable tv packages.  The downside is CTV owns the rights and the ads are low production value crap not much better than the local ads on bills games + endless promos for upcoming shows and gambling.

CTV also sometimes downgrades the picture quality, it’s not good.  But we do get at no extra fee.

We also have DAZN as an option.  Every single NFL game plus a ton of other sports (I only use it for NFL).  You can get a 6 month gift card for $100 cnd which is about $75.  And if you use a PC or Apple TV, you can have up to 4 games on your screen at once.

On 9/5/2024 at 3:36 PM, T master said:

NOPE !! And i'm not sorry for it . I agree 100% with the OP !! I will never watch a game that takes place out side of the US that could possibly promote more of the same . Plus that is a game you are taking away from the US fans that have been fans & supported this team some their entire lives even as kids ! 

This is all a greed based move by the NFL to IMHO 1 day expand the league to foreign countries which they have already had & that was NFL Europe .

Go for that have a totally different league in Europe and after both leagues have their individual Super Bowls have the 2 winners of those games play and call it the World Championship Bowl but i absolutely hate the fact that games are in other countries, stadiums, time zones, to take away a game from the American fans that have supported the team no matter what ! 

I don't even watch the Bills games if they are out of the country, hell look at what happened last time they played in London . Millano, Jones & others went down and didn't play the rest of the season . Nope keep it America's game !

Ya'll can cry & tell me what a D**K i am & how great it is to go here there & every where to see our team play and that's your prerogative but myself as a life long American Bills fan will never watch a game that's not on American soil !! 

It appears you will not be a fan of this. 
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/41154722/roger-goodell-nfl-16-international-games-per-season

But ok with me. I went to the Bills game in London a few years back and had a great time. I happened to be working there for a short while so no expense other than a ticket.

I would be interested if the Bills played in an International location where I happened to be but would not plan a vacation around a Bills game.

So I'm not really sure what the OP wants.

Do you want to go back 20 years and get 2-3 games on Sunday and one MNF game.  20 years ago the two great games we just saw would likely have not been seen in Buffalo or Cleveland.  Instead of GB-Phil your only option may have been Clev-Dallas or some other terrible NFC game.  And since Buffalo was playing an NFC opponent there may have been only 2 games to watch all Sunday depending which network had the double-header.  

Now we have options.  Nobody is forcing you to take advantage of these options.  If you want to watch every NFL game you can. If you only want to watch the Bills from WNY most of the time you can for no additional cost than our cable.  

On 9/5/2024 at 2:31 PM, hondo in seattle said:

I pay for Sunday Ticket each year because I'm a Bills fan.

But if I could only buy Bills games for a lesser price I would.  I'd be perfectly happy with only being able to see Bills games and whatever games are nationally or locally broadcast.

My interest in the greater, non-Bills NFL has diminished over the years.   And if the Bills ever moved out of Buffalo, I'd probably stop watching football altogether.  

I agree with this.  I don't watch a ton of non-Bills NFL games. Could you imagine watching Carolina vs Atlanta?  No thanks. 

I will usually catch parts of 2-3 college games on Saturday because there is always several great match-ups to see.  Then watch Bills and maybe one other game.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr Info said:

It appears you will not be a fan of this. 
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/41154722/roger-goodell-nfl-16-international-games-per-season

But ok with me. I went to the Bills game in London a few years back and had a great time. I happened to be working there for a short while so no expense other than a ticket.

I would be interested if the Bills played in an International location where I happened to be but would not plan a vacation around a Bills game.

My thing is IMHO, they will do to the NFL what they did to MLB . Use to be when i was a kid watching the MLB there was hardly ever a empty seat, ball fields were always full now if you look not so much because of the saturation of the sport, they have done the same thing to Nascar .

The NFL is heading down the same road ! Roger is trying to be greedy & make more money by spreading it all over the entire globe & those people can't get enough already because in reality 18 game seasons is really not a lot if you consider how many games the MLB, & NHL play per season .

I think Roger is going to try & add more teams once a fan base is built in these other countries as has been talked about with the Jags being London's team . They will saturate it to the point that it will eventually lose it luster and go the way of the NBA,& MLB of which i use to be huge fans of both .

It's awesome that you had a great time at the game where you were working, but for every out of country fan that is ecstatic about our team being there i'll bet there are twice as many home town fans & stadium workers that are pissed because they don't get to use their season tickets or get paid for that game & personally i think the home town fans and the revenue is much more important than shipping it to other countries  .

Here's a thing let them plan their vacation here to watch the Bills at home & generate more revenue for the Buffalo area hotels, airports, restaurants, and keep the product here rather than doing what has been done to a lot of other businesses that use to be here and ship them over seas along with the jobs that support them here .

Because as i have said for every game that isn't here how many people at our home stadiums don't get paid to go to work on those days that are taken to another country ? Again IMHO it sucks !! 

BOOOO to international games !! 

Edited by T master

1 hour ago, T master said:

My thing is IMHO, they will do to the NFL what they did to MLB . Use to be when i was a kid watching the MLB there was hardly ever a empty seat, ball fields were always full now if you look not so much because of the saturation of the sport, they have done the same thing to Nascar .

The NFL is heading down the same road ! Roger is trying to be greedy & make more money by spreading it all over the entire globe & those people can't get enough already because in reality 18 game seasons is really not a lot if you consider how many games the MLB, & NHL play per season .

I think Roger is going to try & add more teams once a fan base is built in these other countries as has been talked about with the Jags being London's team . They will saturate it to the point that it will eventually lose it luster and go the way of the NBA,& MLB of which i use to be huge fans of both .

It's awesome that you had a great time at the game where you were working, but for every out of country fan that is ecstatic about our team being there i'll bet there are twice as many home town fans & stadium workers that are pissed because they don't get to use their season tickets or get paid for that game & personally i think the home town fans and the revenue is much more important than shipping it to other countries  .

Here's a thing let them plan their vacation here to watch the Bills at home & generate more revenue for the Buffalo area hotels, airports, restaurants, and keep the product here rather than doing what has been done to a lot of other businesses that use to be here and ship them over seas along with the jobs that support them here .

Because as i have said for every game that isn't here how many people at our home stadiums don't get paid to go to work on those days that are taken to another country ? Again IMHO it sucks !! 

People don't care about MLB--it's for kids and old men.   Conversely, people cannot get enough of the NFL and it has totally eclipsed all other sports as interest in them declined, so your comparison makes no sense. 

The Packers will still have 9 home games this season, The Eagles will have 8 (same as last year, when they didn't leave the country).  Also, this is what Terry and Jerry and the rest want.  It has nothing to do with the wishes of Goodell.

Edited by Mr. WEO

2 hours ago, T master said:

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

People don't care about MLB--it's for kids and old men.   Conversely, people cannot get enough of the NFL and it has totally eclipsed all other sports as interest in them declined, so your comparison makes no sense. 

The Packers will still have 9 home games this season, The Eagles will have 8 (same as last year, when they didn't leave the country).  Also, this is what Terry and Jerry and the rest want.  It has nothing to do with the wishes of Goodell.

I’ll reply to both because they are related to my response.

i no longer live in WNY but travel there frequently as I am still a season ticket holder. I am contributing a good amt of my $ to the WNY economy with these trips. I enjoy my trips ‘home’ but do not consider them a vacation.

Regarding the NFL & MLB. I posted this in another thread but, imo, the demise of MLB was removal of the salary cap. I was an intense follower of MLB as a kid and also as a young adult. The teams with the most $ can poach the best players from other teams. There are some players on these teams whose yearly salary is more than the team salary of some clubs. I nol longer follow baseball or pay for any streaming. I still like the game and may watch a game infrequently when it’s free.

If the NFL rescinded the salary cap, then I would no longer follow the Bills and the NFL. The Bills may be able to pull an Oakland A’s moneyball for a short while but the big money teams would reap the benefit of no salary cap. The Packers, Bills, Bengals, Colts, etc. would have difficulty competing consistently. The current salary cap helps level the playing field.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yeah, MLB slit its own throat by ignoring the obvious problems with the game for years on end (three and a half-hour games, out of control PEDs, etc.).  While people will argue about some of the NFL's decisions (international games, Thursday night football, rule changes) the sport's audience goes up every year, both home and abroad.  

I don't particularly like the international games, either, but they are part of the league's long-term strategy.  I believe that strategy includes not just increasing the overseas TV audience, but increasing the number of kids playing football overseas.  Football participation is shrinking in the US and in order to ensure a strong product, I think the NFL is hoping to be able to develop a pipeline of foreign talent, much like the NBA has done.  The NFL has a long way to go--and football faces obstacles overseas that basketball does not--but it's certainly not impossible.      

Edited by mannc

2 hours ago, Mr Info said:

i no longer live in WNY but travel there frequently as I am still a season ticket holder. I am contributing a good amt of my $ to the WNY economy with these trips. I enjoy my trips ‘home’ but do not consider them a vacation.

Regarding the NFL & MLB. I posted this in another thread but, imo, the demise of MLB was removal of the salary cap. I was an intense follower of MLB as a kid and also as a young adult. The teams with the most $ can poach the best players from other teams. There are some players on these teams whose yearly salary is more than the team salary of some clubs. I nol longer follow baseball or pay for any streaming. I still like the game and may watch a game infrequently when it’s free.

If the NFL rescinded the salary cap, then I would no longer follow the Bills and the NFL. The Bills may be able to pull an Oakland A’s moneyball for a short while but the big money teams would reap the benefit of no salary cap. The Packers, Bills, Bengals, Colts, etc. would have difficulty competing consistently. The current salary cap helps level the playing field.

The NFL will never get rid of revenue sharing and therefore the cap.  It's the secret to their dominance. 

Baseball is ruined by the fact that it is too boring for modern viewers to remain interested in an entire game, of which there are too many, rendering many of them meaningless.  For all of August, every sportscast or radio show has nearly exclusively discussed the NFL camp/preseason.  This is despite MLB heading toward their playoffs, yet the only mention of MLB is in regard to Ohtani and Judge.  That's it.

MLB, NHL, NBA are playoffs only sports (if that) for most people.  Poaching players rarely results in a WS ring.  The NBA is a straight up mess with teams falling over themselves to pay ancient stars huge contracts on bogus "superteams".

2 hours ago, mannc said:

Yeah, MLB slit its own throat by ignoring the obvious problems with the game for years on end (three and a half-hour games, out of control PEDs, etc.).  While people will argue about some of the NFL's decisions (international games, Thursday night football, rule changes) the sport's audience goes up every year, both home and abroad.  

I don't particularly like the international games, either, but they are part of the league's long-term strategy.  I believe that strategy includes not just increasing the overseas TV audience, but increasing the number of kids playing football overseas.  Football participation is shrinking in the US and in order to ensure a strong product, I think the NFL is hoping to be able to develop a pipeline of foreign talent, much like the NBA has done.  The NFL has a long way to go--and football faces obstacles overseas that basketball does not--but it's certainly not impossible.      

There will always be enough college players to fill rosters.  Marginal talent kids will always wash out or play Little League.  Foreign talent will always be negligible in the NFL.

26 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

There will always be enough college players to fill rosters.  Marginal talent kids will always wash out or play Little League.  Foreign talent will always be negligible in the NFL.

Sure, that's how it looks right now, but I think it will change.  40 years ago, there were no foreign players in the NBA, and few Europeans in the NHL.     

5 minutes ago, mannc said:

Sure, that's how it looks right now, but I think it will change.  40 years ago, there were no foreign players in the NBA, and few Europeans in the NHL.     

Elite Foreign basketball leagues have existed for decades.  Hockey same.

There’s no meaningful football being played outside of this continent

Ots never going to happen that way

8 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

So I'm not really sure what the OP wants.

Do you want to go back 20 years and get 2-3 games on Sunday and one MNF game.  20 years ago the two great games we just saw would likely have not been seen in Buffalo or Cleveland.  Instead of GB-Phil your only option may have been Clev-Dallas or some other terrible NFC game.  And since Buffalo was playing an NFC opponent there may have been only 2 games to watch all Sunday depending which network had the double-header.  

Now we have options.  Nobody is forcing you to take advantage of these options.  If you want to watch every NFL game you can. If you only want to watch the Bills from WNY most of the time you can for no additional cost than our cable.  

I agree with this.  I don't watch a ton of non-Bills NFL games. Could you imagine watching Carolina vs Atlanta?  No thanks. 

I will usually catch parts of 2-3 college games on Saturday because there is always several great match-ups to see.  Then watch Bills and maybe one other game.  

The main thing I like about the International games (mainly London) is the 930am start time (EST). Even if it's a game you don't really have a ton of interest in,it's good background noise at home or a tailgate.

7 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

To much of anything or over saturation can change the end result ! My comparison makes no sense to you but time will tell when the NFL reaches the saturation point .

Every thing runs it's course and change is inevitable and sometimes is not always for the best .

On 9/3/2024 at 7:41 PM, bobobonators said:

I’m a huge fan of the NFL and football. I pay for Sunday Ticket every season for the past I dunno 20ish+ years? Basically for as long as it’s been in existence. The NFL offers me endless hours of entertainment via their content and/or fantasy throughout the year. For that, I’m grateful because I truly and genuinely love it. 

Having said that, I have to admit this Friday’s game makes me feel a bit used (dirty? disrespected? Not quite sure) and I have zero rooting interest in the game. Could you imagine being a fan of either the Eagles or Packers and waiting all off season for Week 1 kickoff and this is what you’re offered? You can’t go to the stadium to support the team. You shell out $400 for Sunday Ticket and you can’t watch the game on there either. Nope, instead the game is overseas and on Peacock. Week 1.  Wow. 

It really irks me. I know the NFL has been doing this for years now. But week 1 overseas? And then double down and put it on Peacock? It’s brazen. 

Im definitely not one of these people that is always predicting the NFL’s demise (they’re entitled to their opinion too). In fact, I’m the opposite. So if the NFL is able to irk me, a staunch supporter of their product and the brand, something is clearly starting to go awry. Perhaps the means don’t justify the ends. 

Brutal. 

Amen. Couldn’t agree more. 

14 hours ago, Mr Info said:

MLB never had a salary cap, so far as I know.

29 minutes ago, billsintaiwan said:

MLB never had a salary cap, so far as I know.

You are correct.  

As far as I know- the MLB players union said awe hell naaaaw and will likely never agree to one- hence no cap.  But I could be wrong. 

13 hours ago, T master said:

To much of anything or over saturation can change the end result ! My comparison makes no sense to you but time will tell when the NFL reaches the saturation point .

Every thing runs it's course and change is inevitable and sometimes is not always for the best .

people on this board have been predicting the demise of the NFL for decades.

what's the point of saying this?

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

people on this board have been predicting the demise of the NFL for decades.

what's the point of saying this?

I was not attesting to the demise of the NFL if the salary cap is gone. People still watch MLB with basically no salary cap. If you are a Yankee or Dodger fan then everything is great. 

My point is that I will no longer follow nor support the Bills if the NFL salary cap is removed. Hopefully, they can still compete but it will be like the bottom tier MLB teams whose best players are eventually acquired by teams with more money.