Week 1 Brazil Game

bobobonators

2 hours ago, Mr Info said:

Huge fan of the TdF so already subscribed to Peacock. But enjoy the NFL just as much so will be paying for however many services are required to view it.

If ya get in at the right time it's $20/yr.  Enjoyed a lot of Olympics on the pcock

• Like (+1) 1

This seems to come up every time there is an exclusive streaming game…. but TBH it’s cheaper in 2024 to watch all NFL games than it was 20 years ago. Somehow cable companies/ESPN have tricked people into thinking MNF was “free”…. Yes they now simulcast some games on ABC, but MNF has been on ESPN for over 20 years.

I paid ~$120/month for cable the last time I had it (2006). There was usually some lock-in contract plus a ~$10/mo “rental” for a set-top-box (that cost the cable co about $30 total). DTV was similar with a much higher equipment cost; you might get a Sunday Ticket discount but the ASP was probably $200 for the season (so $50/mo), so for the 4 core months of NFL you are paying ~$170/month to see all NFL games.

Today you need:

1) An antenna for 4 Sunday games

2) Sunday ticket $87.25/mo ($349 was the payment in May)

3) A service with ESPN - Sling has 4 months for $50/mo prepaid

4) Peacock for $7.99/mo (the Brazil game and maybe a playoff game like last year?)

5) Prime Video for $8.99/mo for Thursday Night Football

6) one month of Netflix for the Christmas games at $6.99 (so call it ~$2/mo)

Thats a total of $161.25/mo over 4 months for every NFL game in 2024. (Somewhat ignorning playoffs, because they are mostly broadcast). So it’s cheaper than the $170/month 20 years ago.

The picture gets even better if you are local to your team; you can drop Sunday Ticket, and if you are willing to take your chances on an ABC simulcast, you’ll see all games for $19/month (streaming exclusives are also shown OTA to local markets). Back then you needed guaranteed sellouts to see all your teams games on TV.

Now, it’s certainly not easier tracking all these subscriptions and apps, and I am assuming your internet connection _is_ a utility, which is true for most households. But there is less money coming out of your pocket today than there has ever been since all games have been available. The NFL is getting more money by 1) cutting out the middle-man cable/satellite company, and 2) getting way higher rights deals fueled by higher advertising rates on national broadcasts. It won’t last forever as the broadcasters are still riding the fumes of the cable industry, but that will dry up and streaming will get more expensive; enjoy it while you can!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I was already priced out nearly 10 years ago.

Even in my 20's I used to find the money to make a trip to Buffalo to see a home game, then go to any games nearby. On a regular Sunday, I'd always go out to a sports bar with friends or the girlfriend & enjoy some food.

And when I got my own home, I immediately started paying for Sunday Ticket. I never missed ANY games. One way or another, I watched every one.

Fast forward to today, and I never go see live games anymore, nor do I pay for Sunday Ticket. I watch nationally televised games, or see if they're available on streaming services I already own & use a VPN. But there are also times where the Bills might be playing a less interesting team like the Panthers or Giants, and I just decide to skip & listen to it on a radio station.

I never used to be ok with that, but everything around the NFL has become so expensive & corporate, it's just too much to invest so much time & money into when I'm not rolling in the dough.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, agilen said:

This seems to come up every time there is an exclusive streaming game…. but TBH it’s cheaper in 2024 to watch all NFL games than it was 20 years ago. Somehow cable companies/ESPN have tricked people into thinking MNF was “free”…. Yes they now simulcast some games on ABC, but MNF has been on ESPN for over 20 years.

I paid ~$120/month for cable the last time I had it (2006). There was usually some lock-in contract plus a ~$10/mo “rental” for a set-top-box (that cost the cable co about $30 total). DTV was similar with a much higher equipment cost; you might get a Sunday Ticket discount but the ASP was probably $200 for the season (so $50/mo), so for the 4 core months of NFL you are paying ~$170/month to see all NFL games.

Today you need:

1) An antenna for 4 Sunday games

2) Sunday ticket $87.25/mo ($349 was the payment in May)

3) A service with ESPN - Sling has 4 months for $50/mo prepaid

4) Peacock for $7.99/mo (the Brazil game and maybe a playoff game like last year?)

5) Prime Video for $8.99/mo for Thursday Night Football

6) one month of Netflix for the Christmas games at $6.99 (so call it ~$2/mo)

Thats a total of $161.25/mo over 4 months for every NFL game in 2024. (Somewhat ignorning playoffs, because they are mostly broadcast). So it’s cheaper than the $170/month 20 years ago.

The picture gets even better if you are local to your team; you can drop Sunday Ticket, and if you are willing to take your chances on an ABC simulcast, you’ll see all games for $19/month (streaming exclusives are also shown OTA to local markets). Back then you needed guaranteed sellouts to see all your teams games on TV.

Now, it’s certainly not easier tracking all these subscriptions and apps, and I am assuming your internet connection _is_ a utility, which is true for most households. But there is less money coming out of your pocket today than there has ever been since all games have been available. The NFL is getting more money by 1) cutting out the middle-man cable/satellite company, and 2) getting way higher rights deals fueled by higher advertising rates on national broadcasts. It won’t last forever as the broadcasters are still riding the fumes of the cable industry, but that will dry up and streaming will get more expensive; enjoy it while you can!

It's more the hassle than the money for me.  I liked three years ago when I could just go to my cable guide channel (or youtubetv now) and know I can find whatever game I wanted there.  Then just pay the extra 12 bucks or so for Red Zone.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, bobobonators said:

I’m a huge fan of the NFL and football. I pay for Sunday Ticket every season for the past I dunno 20ish+ years? Basically for as long as it’s been in existence. The NFL offers me endless hours of entertainment via their content and/or fantasy throughout the year. For that, I’m grateful because I truly and genuinely love it. 

Having said that, I have to admit this Friday’s game makes me feel a bit used (dirty? disrespected? Not quite sure) and I have zero rooting interest in the game. Could you imagine being a fan of either the Eagles or Packers and waiting all off season for Week 1 kickoff and this is what you’re offered? You can’t go to the stadium to support the team. You shell out $400 for Sunday Ticket and you can’t watch the game on there either. Nope, instead the game is overseas and on Peacock. Week 1.  Wow. 

It really irks me. I know the NFL has been doing this for years now. But week 1 overseas? And then double down and put it on Peacock? It’s brazen. 

Im definitely not one of these people that is always predicting the NFL’s demise (they’re entitled to their opinion too). In fact, I’m the opposite. So if the NFL is able to irk me, a staunch supporter of their product and the brand, something is clearly starting to go awry. Perhaps the means don’t justify the ends. 

Brutal. 

Bobo, I know the NFL is evolving and if anything seeking out new revenue streams, but it’s hard on guys like my 94 yr. Old father who wouldn’t know how to stream at all.

For me, I like some shows on NBC so I’ve had Peacock and Amazon Prime for a long time as they have some shows like Reacher and Jack Ryan.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Yes .. there are limits but I suspect that we aren’t even close to them as yet …

All entertainment activities are getting way more expensive these days… 

I think we get closer every year. 

Things add up over time. I lost interest in the NBA with the 3 pointer barrage and social justice crap and jamming WNBA down our throats. 

NFL will be death by a thousand cuts. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, MJS said:

Boo hoo.

🤣🤣

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It's more the hassle than the money for me.  I liked three years ago when I could just go to my cable guide channel (or youtubetv now) and know I can find whatever game I wanted there.  Then just pay the extra 12 bucks or so for Red Zone.

The hassle for sure is my biggest gripe I think. It’s hard to keep track of what channel/streaming service games are on. 

My dad is also getting up there in age and he misses out on so many football games bc getting an 80yr to try and work streaming apps on a smart tv is not easy. The dude likes to push the red power button and move the channel button. 

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, bobobonators said:

Agreed. 

Not every idea is a great idea. Id love to know how the convo went during the meeting when this opening day in Brazil on Peacock idea was discussed. 

right love to know myself and be a fly on the wall. 

9 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

People complain about the greed all the time .. but does anyone ever walk away?

I won’t be ..

BTW - rumours that there will be a Week 1 game next year in Australia ..will be two West Coast teams though apparently so no need for Bills fans to be concerned about it

Everyone has a point. I don't know where mine is for the NFL but I knew where is was for MLB. As a Big Red Machine fan of the 70s I was NL all the way. When they added the DH to the AL I said if they do that to the NL, it won't be the same game and I'll stop watching. I haven't watched a single Red's game this year. Don't doubt people being willing to walk away from things they enjoy if pushed the right (wrong?) direction.

• Like (+1) 1

wait until the hedgefund bros sink their teeth into the NFL.  you dont like it now?  watch out.   only thing you can do is vote with your wallet.  you continue to show the NFL that its ok to do somewhat shady sh!t,  they'll continue on,  and then some.   i see people get upset about things like this all the time,  in many different corporate sectors,  and they continue to open up that wallet.  your power,  is your money,  and how you use it.  thats it.  

i dont blame the corpos,  sure they could choose a different path,  but they wont,  cuz ez money.   i blame the consumers who act like drug addicted clowns with their money.  yall dont like the direction economically this country is going,  stop feeding these greedy f@cks.

Edited by bigduke6
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

wait until the hedgefund bros sink their teeth into the NFL.  you dont like it now?  watch out.   only thing you can do is vote with your wallet.  you continue to show the NFL that its ok to do somewhat shady sh!t,  they'll continue on,  and then some.   i see people get upset about things like this all the time,  in many different corporate sectors,  and they continue to open up that wallet.  your power,  is your money,  and how you use it.  thats it.  

i dont blame the corpos,  sure they could choose a different path,  but they wont,  cuz ez money.   i blame the consumers who act like drug addicted clowns with their money.  yall dont like the direction economically this country is going,  stop feeding these greedy f@cks.

I've been a longtime season ticket holder for the Bills...I have absolutely no desire to pay for PSL's and all of the other prices that would go into remaining a STM at the new stadium.  There's so many other things I would rather spend that kind of money on.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

I've been a longtime season ticket holder for the Bills...I have absolutely no desire to pay for PSL's and all of the other prices that would go into remaining a STM at the new stadium.  There's so many other things I would rather spend that kind of money on.  

and its a shame youre being forced to even make that decision.   profit is fine,  getting rich off a product is fine.  outright greed at the expense of the consumers is not.  good vibes to u.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

and its a shame youre being forced to even make that decision.   profit is fine,  getting rich off a product is fine.  outright greed at the expense of the consumers is not.  good vibes to u.

Thanks to be honest with how expensive it is getting and what the actual entertainment aspect is of the modern NFL it was a pretty easy decision for me lol

• Like (+1) 1

it's getting ridiculous how many different streaming platforms the NFL is using.  Although, if solving puzzles helps with Alzheimer's, NFL fans won't have it after trying to figure out how to watch games at the lowest price.  

• Like (+1) 1