Week 1 Brazil Game

bobobonators

On 9/3/2024 at 10:54 PM, agilen said:

This seems to come up every time there is an exclusive streaming game…. but TBH it’s cheaper in 2024 to watch all NFL games than it was 20 years ago. Somehow cable companies/ESPN have tricked people into thinking MNF was “free”…. Yes they now simulcast some games on ABC, but MNF has been on ESPN for over 20 years.

I paid ~$120/month for cable the last time I had it (2006). There was usually some lock-in contract plus a ~$10/mo “rental” for a set-top-box (that cost the cable co about $30 total). DTV was similar with a much higher equipment cost; you might get a Sunday Ticket discount but the ASP was probably $200 for the season (so $50/mo), so for the 4 core months of NFL you are paying ~$170/month to see all NFL games.

Today you need:

1) An antenna for 4 Sunday games

2) Sunday ticket $87.25/mo ($349 was the payment in May)

3) A service with ESPN - Sling has 4 months for $50/mo prepaid

4) Peacock for $7.99/mo (the Brazil game and maybe a playoff game like last year?)

5) Prime Video for $8.99/mo for Thursday Night Football

6) one month of Netflix for the Christmas games at $6.99 (so call it ~$2/mo)

Thats a total of $161.25/mo over 4 months for every NFL game in 2024. (Somewhat ignorning playoffs, because they are mostly broadcast). So it’s cheaper than the $170/month 20 years ago.

The picture gets even better if you are local to your team; you can drop Sunday Ticket, and if you are willing to take your chances on an ABC simulcast, you’ll see all games for $19/month (streaming exclusives are also shown OTA to local markets). Back then you needed guaranteed sellouts to see all your teams games on TV.

Now, it’s certainly not easier tracking all these subscriptions and apps, and I am assuming your internet connection _is_ a utility, which is true for most households. But there is less money coming out of your pocket today than there has ever been since all games have been available. The NFL is getting more money by 1) cutting out the middle-man cable/satellite company, and 2) getting way higher rights deals fueled by higher advertising rates on national broadcasts. It won’t last forever as the broadcasters are still riding the fumes of the cable industry, but that will dry up and streaming will get more expensive; enjoy it while you can!

https://www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/want-to-watch-every-nfl-game-this-season-its-going-to-cost-you-nearly-2-500-31c4d300

very relevant article

I pay for Sunday Ticket each year because I'm a Bills fan.

But if I could only buy Bills games for a lesser price I would.  I'd be perfectly happy with only being able to see Bills games and whatever games are nationally or locally broadcast.

My interest in the greater, non-Bills NFL has diminished over the years.   And if the Bills ever moved out of Buffalo, I'd probably stop watching football altogether.  

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

Hi. It's me. I'm "NFL is gonna jump the shark with their greed and start losing fans at some point" guy.

The NFL owners ARE brazen. They are wildly greedy. They ONLY care about maximizing profit, and they care nothing about fan experience, loyalty, "the integrity of the game", player safety, or anything along those lines. Their sole concern is making the most money they possibly can, no matter how much it waters down the product, endangers the players, or alienates the fans. I firmly believe that one day, like Icarus, they will fly too close to the sun and their wings will burn.

Until then...enjoy subscribing to five different streaming platforms, paying for PSLs and also paying $250 for a ticket, funding stadiums, and watching two backup QBs square off in a meaningless week 20 game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

I pay for Sunday Ticket each year because I'm a Bills fan.

But if I could only buy Bills games for a lesser price I would.  I'd be perfectly happy with only being able to see Bills games and whatever games are nationally or locally broadcast.

My interest in the greater, non-Bills NFL has diminished over the years.   And if the Bills ever moved out of Buffalo, I'd probably stop watching football altogether.  

Exactly the same. I wonder sometimes if I would stop watching altogether if the Bills ever won a Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 1

NOPE !! And i'm not sorry for it . I agree 100% with the OP !! I will never watch a game that takes place out side of the US that could possibly promote more of the same . Plus that is a game you are taking away from the US fans that have been fans & supported this team some their entire lives even as kids ! 

This is all a greed based move by the NFL to IMHO 1 day expand the league to foreign countries which they have already had & that was NFL Europe .

Go for that have a totally different league in Europe and after both leagues have their individual Super Bowls have the 2 winners of those games play and call it the World Championship Bowl but i absolutely hate the fact that games are in other countries, stadiums, time zones, to take away a game from the American fans that have supported the team no matter what ! 

I don't even watch the Bills games if they are out of the country, hell look at what happened last time they played in London . Millano, Jones & others went down and didn't play the rest of the season . Nope keep it America's game !

Ya'll can cry & tell me what a D**K i am & how great it is to go here there & every where to see our team play and that's your prerogative but myself as a life long American Bills fan will never watch a game that's not on American soil !! 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

Hi. It's me. I'm "NFL is gonna jump the shark with their greed and start losing fans at some point" guy.

The NFL owners ARE brazen. They are wildly greedy. They ONLY care about maximizing profit, and they care nothing about fan experience, loyalty, "the integrity of the game", player safety, or anything along those lines. Their sole concern is making the most money they possibly can, no matter how much it waters down the product, endangers the players, or alienates the fans. I firmly believe that one day, like Icarus, they will fly too close to the sun and their wings will burn.

Until then...enjoy subscribing to five different streaming platforms, paying for PSLs and also paying $250 for a ticket, funding stadiums, and watching two backup QBs square off in a meaningless week 20 game.

Week 20? You’re predicting that the Super Bowl will feature two backup QBs? So it’s gonna be Mitch against who? 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Week 20? You’re predicting that the Super Bowl will feature two backup QBs? So it’s gonna be Mitch against who? 

I suppose I'm projecting into the future. 

I think 18 games plus two bye weeks is a foregone conclusion, hence my week 20 comment.

Mike Florio and other national analysts actually think TWENTY games is the eventual outcome, and gosh I hope the NFLPA never agrees to that. As much as I love football, that's just way too much.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Logic said:

I suppose I'm projecting into the future. 

I think 18 games plus two bye weeks is a foregone conclusion, hence my week 20 comment.

Mike Florio and other national analysts actually think TWENTY games is the eventual outcome, and gosh I hope the NFLPA never agrees to that. As much as I love football, that's just way too much.

Some want to turn football into baseball with multiple teams, double headers, etc. 

• Vomit 1

10 minutes ago, Punching Bag said:

Some want to turn football into baseball with multiple teams, double headers, etc. 

Part of what makes football great is that every game matters. If you keep increasing the number of playoff teams and adding more games, it just waters down the product.

Were the Mason Rudolph led Steelers really worthy of a playoff spot?

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Part of what makes football great is that every game matters. If you keep increasing the number of playoff teams and adding more games, it just waters down the product.

Couldn't agree more.  Should stay at 16 games, 2 preseason and 2 bye weeks.

Playoffs with 6 teams per conference with 2 bye teams like it was in the past.

No, Steelers should not have been in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Teams sometimes get hot at right time and sometimes teams make playoffs because they are playing schedule for 4th in division schedule with weak opposite conference schedule.   Is that a fault of the AWS scheduling, weakness of their division or just luck?   There have been times when every team in a division has had winning records and a team not making it.

On 9/3/2024 at 9:44 PM, Mikie2times said:

I have Jordan Love as my sleeper MVP and the Packers as my sleeper NFC rep. The wrong team is favored here. 

Plus the Packers have the largest fan base in Brazil 🇧🇷(probably the colors), so it might be like a home game for them. Of course, they may just treat it like futbol, and each team will need to use silent counts. 😂 🤷‍♂️ 

On 9/3/2024 at 11:10 PM, bobobonators said:

Agreed. 

Not every idea is a great idea. Id love to know how the convo went during the meeting when this opening day in Brazil on Peacock idea was discussed. 

32 men asked ... OK Roger, how do we make more money ... (It's a business and making money is what it's all about) And Roger said "Lets play a game in Brazil" ... The owners saw dollars dancing in their eyes and told him to make it happen.

On 9/3/2024 at 8:49 PM, Mr Info said:

But enjoy the NFL just as much so will be paying for however many services are required to view it.

Someone showed me a report that said there are 13 different outlets carrying NFL games this season.  The broadcast networks and several others.  It will cost you.  To see all of them. 

On 9/3/2024 at 9:30 PM, Mr Info said:

I can understand the fan on a fixed budget that will not pay additional $ to watch NFL games on other platforms. It has become an expensive entertainment option. 
The NFL, imo, is the last league that has a true salary cap. Years ago I was a big MLB fan but no more. If the NFL allows the teams with the most $ to acquire the most talented players then I will no longer be a fan of the Bills and the NFL. I will stop paying just like I did with MLB. I will occasionally watch an MLB game but only if it is free.

The NHL has entered the chat. That league is money tight, even cutting guys you still have to pay salary and limited on how you can spread it out. 

On 9/3/2024 at 10:09 PM, Aussie Joe said:

People complain about the greed all the time .. but does anyone ever walk away?

I won’t be ..

BTW - rumours that there will be a Week 1 game next year in Australia ..will be two West Coast teams though apparently so no need for Bills fans to be concerned about it

Winners have a home-and-home with the AFL Premiers - one game under each league's rules.

(Go Geelong!)