Week 1 Brazil Game

bobobonators

I’m a huge fan of the NFL and football. I pay for Sunday Ticket every season for the past I dunno 20ish+ years? Basically for as long as it’s been in existence. The NFL offers me endless hours of entertainment via their content and/or fantasy throughout the year. For that, I’m grateful because I truly and genuinely love it. 

Having said that, I have to admit this Friday’s game makes me feel a bit used (dirty? disrespected? Not quite sure) and I have zero rooting interest in the game. Could you imagine being a fan of either the Eagles or Packers and waiting all off season for Week 1 kickoff and this is what you’re offered? You can’t go to the stadium to support the team. You shell out $400 for Sunday Ticket and you can’t watch the game on there either. Nope, instead the game is overseas and on Peacock. Week 1.  Wow. 

It really irks me. I know the NFL has been doing this for years now. But week 1 overseas? And then double down and put it on Peacock? It’s brazen. 

Im definitely not one of these people that is always predicting the NFL’s demise (they’re entitled to their opinion too). In fact, I’m the opposite. So if the NFL is able to irk me, a staunch supporter of their product and the brand, something is clearly starting to go awry. Perhaps the means don’t justify the ends. 

Brutal. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 17

Yeah, I love the NFL and I’m not going anywhere but I can’t lie….the NFL now kind of seems like a billionaire out for a walk and he and a hobo see a quarter on the sidewalk and the billionaire races the hobo to it and pushes him over when the hobo bends down to get it….and cackles as he grabs the quarter and shoves it in his pocket.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Info said:

Huge fan of the TdF so already subscribed to Peacock. But enjoy the NFL just as much so will be paying for however many services are required to view it.

Yeah, I get it for Premiere League games , but damn feel bad for fans of those teams that live out of market.

I'm not saying I'm boycotting the league or anything like that but the NFL definitely went from trying to make a profit... into A GIANT GREEDY BASTARD a long time ago.

The worst part is I do think the quality of the product from a fans perspective has gone downhill over the years at the expense of trying to squeeze every penny out of the fans/viewers as they possible can(Ok bring on all the eyerolls and snarky comments from the fans who are still in denial that this is true🤣🤣)

• Like (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

I'm not saying I'm boycotting the league or anything like that but the NFL definitely went from trying to make a profit... into A GIANT GREEDY BASTARD a long time ago.

The worst part is I do think the quality of the product from a fans perspective has gone downhill over the years at the expense of trying to squeeze every penny out of the fans/viewers as they possible can(Ok bring on all the eyerolls and snarky comments from the fans who are still in denial that this is true🤣🤣)

It’s not the good and simple old days. 

What the hell does this look like in a decade? 

…or another month for that matter? 

• Like (+1) 1

I can understand the fan on a fixed budget that will not pay additional $ to watch NFL games on other platforms. It has become an expensive entertainment option. 
The NFL, imo, is the last league that has a true salary cap. Years ago I was a big MLB fan but no more. If the NFL allows the teams with the most $ to acquire the most talented players then I will no longer be a fan of the Bills and the NFL. I will stop paying just like I did with MLB. I will occasionally watch an MLB game but only if it is free.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, bobobonators said:

I’m a huge fan of the NFL and football. I pay for Sunday Ticket every season for the past I dunno 20ish+ years? Basically for as long as it’s been in existence. The NFL offers me endless hours of entertainment via their content and/or fantasy throughout the year. For that, I’m grateful because I truly and genuinely love it. 

Having said that, I have to admit this Friday’s game makes me feel a bit used (dirty? disrespected? Not quite sure) and I have zero rooting interest in the game. Could you imagine being a fan of either the Eagles or Packers and waiting all off season for Week 1 kickoff and this is what you’re offered? You can’t go to the stadium to support the team. You shell out $400 for Sunday Ticket and you can’t watch the game on there either. Nope, instead the game is overseas and on Peacock. Week 1.  Wow. 

It really irks me. I know the NFL has been doing this for years now. But week 1 overseas? And then double down and put it on Peacock? It’s brazen. 

Im definitely not one of these people that is always predicting the NFL’s demise (they’re entitled to their opinion too). In fact, I’m the opposite. So if the NFL is able to irk me, a staunch supporter of their product and the brand, something is clearly starting to go awry. Perhaps the means don’t justify the ends. 

Brutal. 

Yeah my opening game being in another hemisphere and continent is bs

• Agree 1

People complain about the greed all the time .. but does anyone ever walk away?

I won’t be ..

BTW - rumours that there will be a Week 1 game next year in Australia ..will be two West Coast teams though apparently so no need for Bills fans to be concerned about it

Edited by Aussie Joe

1 hour ago, JP51 said:

Yeah my opening game being in another hemisphere and continent is bs

Agreed. 

Not every idea is a great idea. Id love to know how the convo went during the meeting when this opening day in Brazil on Peacock idea was discussed. 

10 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

People complain about the greed all the time .. but does anyone ever walk away?

I won’t be ..

I won’t be either. Everyone has a limit though. The point of my thread is that I’m nowhere near unsubscribing from the NFL yet this move really rubbed me the wrong way. I can totally see a small market of people that will check out as a result. 

If in 5 years the Sunday Ticket is $500-600 only for me to then have to pay Peacock to watch a game in another country….not sure. Like I said, everyone has a limit and the NFL is currently on an unsustainable long-term (think 10-15yr) course in my opinion with respect to this international nonsense and 3-4 different networks + Sunday Ticket. They need crap or get off the pot with that stuff. 

Generations change and national pastimes change. But who am I kidding. I’ll prob pay the $600 for Sunday Ticket in 2030. 

Edited by bobobonators
  • Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

I won’t be either. Everyone has a limit though. The point of my thread is that I’m nowhere near unsubscribing from the NFL yet this move really rubbed me the wrong way. I can totally see a small market of people that will check out as a result. 

If in 5 years the Sunday Ticket is $500-600 only for me to then have to pay Peacock to watch a game in another country….not sure. Like I said, everyone has a limit and the NFL is currently on an unsustainable long-term (think 10-15yr) course in my opinion with respect to this international nonsense and 3-4 different networks + Sunday Ticket. They need crap or get off the pot with that stuff. 

Generations change and national pastimes change. But who am I kidding. I’ll prob pay the $600 for Sunday Ticket in 2030. 

Yes .. there are limits but I suspect that we aren’t even close to them as yet …

All entertainment activities are getting way more expensive these days… 

Edited by Aussie Joe