Joe Marino: 1/4 of Bills 2024 salary cap is dead cap!

JaCrispy

7 hours ago, Mango said:

Right, because they ate Diggs. 

if they kept Diggs their total cap space would be nearly identical (-$3M) which would put that right around league average. But as we saw today Diggs just said the Bills didn’t want to move on from him, he forced the situation. 

Talk to Stef about it. 

I do not know a GM in the league that wouldn’t catch flak for extending a player 2 years early, and then trading that player before he played a snap on that extension. 

Crappy situation but when you double down on a volatile, mercurial WR as your only guy in the room, you can get burned.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, balln said:

Alas. Time and again. Free agent spending been proven that doesn’t lead to wins / Super Bowl victories.

they have to hit in the freaking draft 

need impact players

I agree, have to hit in the draft. That goes without saying. However, if they are going to spend money on free agents they need to hit on that as well. Need to stop paying top dollar for mid range guys. 

10 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I hate  to start throwing Beane and co under with McD but he’s had enough shots at the Draft and who are the HOFers, not including Josh?

The things the young ones on here maybe don’t remember is Polian absolutely stacked those late 80s early 90s teams with Crazy Talent.

We are already into the second generation of Beane talent and the first didn’t knock anyone’s socks off. I get that we were perennially drafting late in the rounds but right now, to me, last years first two picks were possibly his best one two punch to start a draft. 
   Some of his second picks each year have been🤔🤔🤔.

Long story short, the idea that having Cap space next year is going to allow us to restock is iffy at best.

Barring injury, people are going to realize how good Kincaid is this season.

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I agree, have to hit in the draft. That goes without saying. However, if they are going to spend money on free agents they need to hit on that as well. Need to stop paying top dollar for mid range guys. 

But when you don't sign huge free agents deals, you're cheap. Fans want splashy signings and trades. Developing your own talent is borrrrrrringgggg.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, The 9 Isles said:

Beane is a wizard but he is also responsible for all that dead cap as well. He handed out those contracts. 

I see other teams with top dollar QBs without all of this baggage. 

half of the 60 is Diggs.   Beane extended him to try and get a SB with that roster , but a blast of injuries and Bass' inability to make a freakin 40 yd FG ruined that.   by then Diggs lost it and had to go (everyone agrees with this I believe) .  Can't fault Beane for going for it when he had the guys on paper to do it. 

Is what it is.  

Edited by ProcessTruster
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

We still have the awful contracts of Von Miller, Bass, Matt Milano and Dawson Knox that all will eventually be dead cap.  If this is a reset year, next year could phase two of that reset.  Too many awful contracts given out to old or injury prone players.  

That’s a good list. I think next offseason was the original plan for a reset, but that injuries led to the Bills to move up the plan by a year. They just couldn’t get out of Miller’s contract that fast. He’ll have at least $15.4M in dead money if/when cut next offseason. That can be split over two seasons with a 6/2 designation. Also any incentives he hits this season will be adjusted on the cap. 

As for Milano, I agree that due to injuries there’s a good chance they’ll move on from him too. $17.3M dead cap so he’d be the other player I’d use the 6/2 designation on. 

Knox would have $17M dead cap too. His 2025 salary is partially guaranteed so I think he sticking around for at least that. Remember, he took a $4.5M haircut this offseason for added guarantees. 

Bass comes down to how he plays this season. His contract is going to keep him on the roster for 2024. If he fails apart then I see them signing another K and IRing Bass with some excuse. Next offseason it’s only $3M dead so the Bills can move on if they need to. 

The dead cap can add up fast. We already have $4.5M on the books for 2025 and with the numbers above, you are correct, it could balloon again. 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Joe knows basic math. Did he also say we are paying Diggs more than all other WRs combine? I mean, it’s called retooling. No issue with moving on from Diggs. 

Listen and you'll hear him say that.

14 hours ago, Billznut said:

That is why 2024 is a reset year.  A playoff appearance would be a huge bonus. Expect a big bounce back in 2025. 

Age 27 of the best QB we've ever had, when we haven't made a Super Bowl..

This part of your post isn't acceptable, and fans shouldn't just be all "well, shucks, guess it was just a reset year".   

They better figure it out and make a run to give JA a shot.  Wasting a prime year of JA would be absolute malpractice from an organization he's tried to drag to the Super Bowl year in/year out without much help when it matters. 

Diggs is $31M, White is $6M, Floyd, Bates, Hyde, Poyer, and Morse bring it to $53M in dead cap.  While we will never know the complete Diggs drama, it must have been pretty damn bad to jettison the guy and take a large dead cap hit.  Bates was traded for a draft pick.  White was injury related.  They moved on from Morse.  Everyone else had void years on their contract which resulted in dead cap this year.  Most of these dead cap hits were planned or managed.  

I honestly can't believe people are just now acknowledging our dead cap this season.

I've been saying since last season that this year would be a reset year, and even more so when we traded Diggs. Pretty obvious what Beane was going to do given the age of a solid portion of our roster. Set up Allen for his back 9 in a Bills uniform

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Over $60 million in dead cap…No wonder our roster looks mediocre on paper…

The Chiefs are spending $50 million more than the Bills on their 2024 roster…

Except that's not how the analysis works.  Beane could take the Diggs hit this year because he reshuffled the roster and we suddenly became a lot younger (and cheaper).  Are you honestly going to tell me the Chiefs' roster looks markedly better on paper?

• Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Billznut said:

That is why 2024 is a reset year.  A playoff appearance would be a huge bonus. Expect a big bounce back in 2025. 

I agree and a necessary one... playoffs to me are a bonus, AFC East title huge bonus... that may be the way we make the playoffs... I think 2025 they are positioned to do more in a more educated way as we begin to find out who we have and how they perform. I also like we have solid draft capital in 2025 for either players or to move up. Minnesota finishing bottom 5 or 10 would be very nice. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, eball said:

Except that's not how the analysis works.  Beane could take the Diggs hit this year because he reshuffled the roster and we suddenly became a lot younger (and cheaper).  Are you honestly going to tell me the Chiefs' roster looks markedly better on paper?

Considering the Chiefs were madly trying to acquire CBs after the cut down date tells me they might be missing Sneed...https://www.si.com/nfl/chiefs/news/nfl-insider-reveals-chiefs-claimed-two-more-players-off-waivers-paints-concerning-picture-of-cornerback-position

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, eball said:

I don’t know how you quantify markedly better but go position by position.

QB - Chiefs

RB - Push? Maybe Bills

WR - Chiefs

TE - Chiefs

OL - Chiefs

DL - Chiefs

LB - Push with Milano out at best

CB - McDuffie would be the best CB on the Bills but the Bills have better depth so push/slightly Bills

S - not sure how anyone is confident either side is good

K - Chiefs

P - Push

By my eye, we have some position groups that are close, but imo, the talent gap between both teams hasn’t been wider since 2020.

• Disagree 1

40 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I don’t know how you quantify markedly better but go position by position.

QB - Chiefs

RB - Push? Maybe Bills

WR - Chiefs

TE - Chiefs

OL - Chiefs

DL - Chiefs

LB - Push with Milano out at best

CB - McDuffie would be the best CB on the Bills but the Bills have better depth so push/slightly Bills

S - not sure how anyone is confident either side is good

K - Chiefs

P - Push

By my eye, we have some position groups that are close, but imo, the talent gap between both teams hasn’t been wider since 2020.

How do you figure the Chiefs' WR room is better than the Bills?  Hollywood Brown is on his third team and is always injured (and is injured now) and Worthy is a rookie who's proved nothing, just like Keon Coleman.  Rasheed Rice and Shakir seem comparable, assuming Rice doesn't get suspended.  Both teams have plenty of question marks here.  This seems like a push.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, mannc said:

How do you figure the Chiefs' WR room is better than the Bills?  Hollywood Brown is always injured (and is injured now) and Worthy is a rookie who's proved nothing, just like Keon Coleman.  Rasheed Rice and Shakir seem comparable, assuming Rice doesn't get suspended.  Both teams have plenty of question marks here.  This seems like a push.

Rashee Rice had more catches, yards and TD’s as a rookie than Shakir has in his career. I don’t think it’s really comparable tbh. Shakir came on last season, but he’s gotta produce to show he’s as good or better than Rice.