Joe Marino: 1/4 of Bills 2024 salary cap is dead cap!

JaCrispy

Just now, section122 said:

For sure Milano and Von account for 40 million have to imagine those numbers change.  Knox is 14 and I don't think he sees that either.  Finally next year is allegedly the Josh renegotiation year.  I doubt he goes in with a 60 million cap hit.

If we learned anything this off-season it's that Beane is going to work the system to get where he needs to go.  Milano, Miller and Knox are definitely on the chopping block, but we'll see what happens.  If Knox has a great year and stays healthy and makes a great combo with Kincaid, he could easily return.  

Yep, and that is largely due to Diggs. But he forced himself out. And good riddance, honestly. Sometimes, you have to rip off the bandaid and take your medicine.

It will be impressive when the Bills make the playoffs and win the division, right?

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

If we learned anything this off-season it's that Beane is going to work the system to get where he needs to go.  Milano, Miller and Knox are definitely on the chopping block, but we'll see what happens.  If Knox has a great year and stays healthy and makes a great combo with Kincaid, he could easily return.  

Knox has a contract that seems to keep him in Buffalo through 2025. He has a potential out in 2026. That being said, I thought Diggs had a contract prohibitive of moving on from him, and Beane did it anyway. So, they find a way to move on from the players they want to, that's for sure.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Witch or Wizard....he's still allergic to wrs.

Warlock, those guys never draft WRs in the first round…, 

🤣

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

I'd be surprised if knox wasn't back I just don't think it'll be at 14 per.  He and Josh are boys so I could see a pay cut to stick around.  14 for the #2 te is just too steep to stick imo.

20 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

You’re probably the guy who rails on at paywalls and think reporters should work for free …. This is the business model that works toget these people paid so that, you know, they can eat?

Your probably the guy who makes assumptions huh?

Next year will be an interesting off-season.  Beane will evaluate the roster this year, figure out of Shakir is a top 2 WR, does Coleman break into the league well and flash, does Kincaid that that next step blocking.  Can Mcgovern handle center duties?  Can Dorian Williams or another young guy be a capable LB, do we have talent in Elam?

If a few of these guys hit, Beane can work Knox/Miller/Milano out and use that money to bring in that next wave of talent for Allen and co to try to win with.  I'd expect 1-2 big names coming into this team next year.

Beane bit the bullet now, to evaluate and give this team a better shot in a year.

2 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

You can't expect to be paying Josh Allen's salary in dead cap and have a good a chance as other teams that are not having to.

People seem to forget this. But I'm still ok if we win the SB. 

Side note:

marinos podcasts have started to become so chalk full of sponsorships, adds, etc, it's almost becoming unlistenable.

I have made it a point to try to memorize his opening statement. I’m like 90% there.

2 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Over $60 million in dead cap…No wonder our roster looks mediocre on paper…

The Chiefs are spending $50 million more than the Bills on their 2024 roster…

This isn’t news, it is though, a known situation,

41 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

You’re probably the guy who rails on at paywalls and think reporters should work for free …. This is the business model that works toget these people paid so that, you know, they can eat?

He has got a point though, it is a bit much with the "join my discord", adds, sponsorships etc.

I am all for promoting, as I run an online business on social media and that's how we get business.

But there is a fine line between promoting a bit here and there, compared to talking about it for 5-10 minutes each episode lol. At least in my opinion

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

List of NFL teams cap space and dead money

Lots of teams have a substantial amount of dead money. It’s an obstacle, but the Bills aren’t alone with it. And they only have themselves to blame. Giving Diggs an extension and big pay bump with two seasons left on his contract was a big mistake (and I said so at the time). At that point it was already clear things weren’t good between him and the team. More money was not going to fix things. 

Yup. I see the Chargers, Jets and Patriots are not far behind on that list and have achieved exactly nothing compared to the Bills. Sometimes its the cost of doing business. The last time the Bills has a huge dead cap, they broke a 17 year playoff drought. Who knows what they can achieve this year

Also, the Bills had peaked as a division champion losing in the second round. They needed fresh blood, fresh ideas, a fresh start and youve seen that. We have a new DC, a new OC, new MLB, new safeties, new WR room. The only real constant has been 17 and Mcdermott. Teams have to be willing to reload and make hard decisions to improve. The Chiefs traded Tyreek Hill, people thought they were nuts and their WR room struggled with drops and missed assignments and theyve won two SBs since then.

How would you feel if the Bills had simply trotted out the same roster with the same result? At least they are going to try to shake things up instead of being happy picking 27th every year 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Over $60 million in dead cap…No wonder our roster looks mediocre on paper…

The Chiefs are spending $50 million more than the Bills on their 2024 roster…

It’s not a surprise.  Half of that is Diggs.  That’s how badly they wanted to move him off the team.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, balln said:

Alas. Time and again. Free agent spending been proven that doesn’t lead to wins / Super Bowl victories.

they have to hit in the freaking draft 

need impact players

I hate  to start throwing Beane and co under with McD but he’s had enough shots at the Draft and who are the HOFers, not including Josh?

The things the young ones on here maybe don’t remember is Polian absolutely stacked those late 80s early 90s teams with Crazy Talent.

We are already into the second generation of Beane talent and the first didn’t knock anyone’s socks off. I get that we were perennially drafting late in the rounds but right now, to me, last years first two picks were possibly his best one two punch to start a draft. 
   Some of his second picks each year have been🤔🤔🤔.

Long story short, the idea that having Cap space next year is going to allow us to restock is iffy at best.

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I hate  to start throwing Beane and co under with McD but he’s had enough shots at the Draft and who are the HOFers, not including Josh?

The things the young ones on here maybe don’t remember is Polian absolutely stacked those late 80s early 90s teams with Crazy Talent.

We are already into the second generation of Beane talent and the first didn’t knock anyone’s socks off. I get that we were perennially drafting late in the rounds but right now, to me, last years first two picks were possibly his best one two punch to start a draft. 
   Some of his second picks each year have been🤔🤔🤔.

Long story short, the idea that having Cap space next year is going to allow us to restock is iffy at best.

Diggs is the 2nd best player this team has acquired in the entire tenure of Beane and McD. The floor with Allen is pretty close to a wild card win. He's a top 3 QB, how isn't that the basement? Statistics prove that it is. 

Until we do something more both McD and Beane should get a fair share of criticism IMO. 

I think after the trapper hat photo Beane got a little full of himself and overspent and wasted some picks.   Im a firm believer this team needs to get younger and cheaper.   Need more picks on rookie contracts.  It does seem Beane recognizes it and is accruing more picks.  Its a shame we have that much in dead money.

3 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

List of NFL teams cap space and dead money

Lots of teams have a substantial amount of dead money. It’s an obstacle, but the Bills aren’t alone with it. And they only have themselves to blame. Giving Diggs an extension and big pay bump with two seasons left on his contract was a big mistake (and I said so at the time). At that point it was already clear things weren’t good between him and the team. More money was not going to fix things. 

I thought we had the Tre white money to spend, but it looks like it’s already gone.