Joe Marino: 1/4 of Bills 2024 salary cap is dead cap!

JaCrispy

47 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Cap space can always be moved around but the Diggs deadcap number was just awful.
  If Josh gets this team to the playoffs just give the man his gold jacket much less MVP.

I will give Brandon credit he really wanted a ton of picks in 2025 and he got them…and with Minny looking like they are going to have a reset year after what sadly happened to JJ they are essentially going to have 2 first round picks in a very deep defensive draft.  
  So all is not lost but I agree with some here it really looks like Brandon is loading up for 2025. 

Moon Landing Space GIF by Apple TV+

On 9/3/2024 at 6:18 PM, Sharky7337 said:

You can't expect to be paying Josh Allen's salary in dead cap and have a good a chance as other teams that are not having to.

People seem to forget this. But I'm still ok if we win the SB. 

Side note:

marinos podcasts have started to become so chalk full of sponsorships, adds, etc, it's almost becoming unlistenable.

I agree with this.  I am starting to look elsewhere for content.

• Agree 1

Moving on from players - Hyde, Poyer, Morse, White, and Diggs are all on the books.  Moving Diggs was also just.. terrible from a cap ramifications standpoint.  Then you have void year contracts for players on expiring deals last year in Floyd, Settle, Daquan.  

Most teams only have one big-time player cut, and a couple of void cuts.  We had a pretty similar roster construction for the last 5 seasons, won 0 super bowls, and it became apparent that the team needed to go in a different direction.  There is still void money for next season - Douglas is the only big one at 4.125M, but i'd expect von to be released unless he has a good year this year.  That would add a pretty substantial dead money hit, but at least there would be associated savings on the cap vs. diggs who's cap hit actually went up when we traded him.  

Next season there are a bunch of opportunities to extend and restructure players to create space - Josh being the big one.  But they'll likely need... a CB, maybe a S, OLB if milano is released, WR is still a need, TE2 if they move on from knox, Pass rush, RT, etc.