Joe Marino: 1/4 of Bills 2024 salary cap is dead cap!

JaCrispy

3 hours ago, DefenseWins said:

Hindsight is always 20/20. But as far as the whole Diggs "thing" is concerned, I find it interesting that he ends up with this newly adjusted contract making him a Free Agent at the end of the season essentially. (Correct me if I am wrong on this...) So was his exit about differences between him and Josh? or the way he was/wasnt being used in the offense? Or was it more about MONEY? If so I'm fine with Beane moving on from Diggs...

Read the recent Diggs interview.  He had problems with Brady and mentioned that his production dropped when Brady became OC.  Also said that his mental space with the Bills last season was the worst of his career.

Again in hindsight...  The big Von contract turned out to be a mistake and the big Diggs contract didn't end well.  I wonder if Beane will think twice about handing another FA a big contract.

21 hours ago, Billznut said:

That is why 2024 is a reset year.  A playoff appearance would be a huge bonus. Expect a big bounce back in 2025. 

It’s always next year, now it’s next year before this season kicks off. What KC is doing, and what NE did all those years is truly amazing, for a football fan.. not so much as a bills fan!!!! 

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, Billznut said:

That is why 2024 is a reset year.  A playoff appearance would be a huge bonus. Expect a big bounce back in 2025. 

Pardon my French, but bullsh**.  Beane reshuffled the cards, but it's not a throwaway season by a longshot.

• Shocked 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Most 1st and 2nd round rookies under McDermott play.  

Ehhh not off the bat. 

They didn't play Groot right away.

Never played Elam. 

Didn't want to start Josh right away until Peterman threw 6 INTs.

Didn't start Cook right away. 

Basham never played (or rarely)

Do they play, yes. Do they start, no. If they do, they have the shortest leash known to man. 

1 minute ago, warrior9 said:

Ehhh not off the bat. 

Never played Elam. 

Do they play, yes. Do they start, no. If they do, they have the shortest leash known to man. 

Groot started all 17 games his rookie year.

Other rookies who started or who played a lot.

Ed Oliver

Spencer Brown

Tremaine Edmunds

Tre White

O'Cyrus Torrence

Dion Dawkins

Dalton Kincaid

Devin Singletary

Cody Ford

Why would you start a player who didn't earn a spot.  Elam nor Basham earned playing time but it seems like it doesn't matter.

13 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Ehhh not off the bat. 

Never played Elam. 

Elam & Basham didn't play because they aren't good

21 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

The good news is that we only have 4.5 million in dead cap in 2025.  The bad news is we only have 2.3 Million is actual cap space.  

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/overview/_/year/2025/sort/cap_total

I expect both numbers to grow.

Dawson Knox and Von Miller might add to next years dead cap.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Looking at dead cap for one year and making vast conclusions is narrow sighted, all teams deal with dead cap, it goes up and down, some are conservative some are aggressive with contracts.  Is it the same people that push for the Bills to sign all FA's to big deals cause the "cap is not real" that are now astounded by a year of dead cap?   When you sign a lot of guys to big deals and push the money out it guarantees you will have big dead cap years at some point.  People see the number, 60M and think, hey we can do other things with that but guess what, we did, in years past he Bills spent cash above the cap, this is just the bookkeeping catching up because the cap is just accounting.

I was just responding to the person who asked to see context for the OP's numbers & wanting to know what the league average was.

No matter how you slice it, that's a lot of dead cap, significantly higher than average. But that's almost entirely due to Diggs, otherwise they'd be right at league average. I'm not complaining, just laying out the facts.

8 hours ago, DefenseWins said:

Hindsight is always 20/20. But as far as the whole Diggs "thing" is concerned, I find it interesting that he ends up with this newly adjusted contract making him a Free Agent at the end of the season essentially. (Correct me if I am wrong on this...) So was his exit about differences between him and Josh? or the way he was/wasnt being used in the offense? Or was it more about MONEY? If so I'm fine with Beane moving on from Diggs...

I think it is a bit of the first two.  I don't think money was an issue as Diggs got his new contract.

Diggs was having a great season in the first 10 weeks...but then his OC gets fired as the Bills stumbled to a 5-5 record out of the gate.

Brady comes in and changes play calling and giving ball more to Cook...Diggs has his worst productive 2nd half of the season...

Diggs as a whole sulks around the team and is a no show in the playoffs. 

Over this period his frustration boils over to Allen because he looked elsewhere and did not feed him (Diggs) enough

Diggs goes to McDermott and he remains silent...

It is also possible that Diggs figured out that this is a reload year for the Bills and did not have the patience to play through the season and wanted to go to a team which he believes is more ready...It is not about whether Stroud is better than Allen but Stroud having a lot more weapons on both Offense and Defense. 

Time will tell if Diggs made the right move to get himself evicted out of Buffalo.   Go Bills !!!

On 9/3/2024 at 5:44 PM, Bruffalo said:

Yeah I want some context here. What’s the average dead cap across the league?

30 million of it is from Diggs drama, so I don’t know if you could have really known that was gonna happen when you extended him. 

The mean dead cap (#16) is LV with $31.3M.  

So yeah, $31.1M of the Bills $63.7M dead cap is Diggs, and without his share the Bills would be right about the mean.

Cap space can always be moved around but the Diggs deadcap number was just awful.
  If Josh gets this team to the playoffs just give the man his gold jacket much less MVP.

I will give Brandon credit he really wanted a ton of picks in 2025 and he got them…and with Minny looking like they are going to have a reset year after what sadly happened to JJ they are essentially going to have 2 first round picks in a very deep defensive draft.  
  So all is not lost but I agree with some here it really looks like Brandon is loading up for 2025. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Groot started all 17 games his rookie year.

Other rookies who started or who played a lot.

Ed Oliver

Spencer Brown

Tremaine Edmunds

Tre White

O'Cyrus Torrence

Dion Dawkins

Dalton Kincaid

Devin Singletary

Cody Ford

Why would you start a player who didn't earn a spot.  Elam nor Basham earned playing time but it seems like it doesn't matter.

Josh didn't earn a spot? Just had to put Peterman out there, yeah? 

James Cook? Just magically was the 4th best yard earner the next year? He started zero games his rookie year 

Dalton Kincaid started 11 games last year man. 

Ed Oliver started 7 games his rookie year 

Singletary started 12 his rookie year. 

Dion Dawkins started 11 his rookie year. 

Spencer Brown started 10

Yes, they ultimately play but he has this "easing players in to it" (which was the original reason for my post)

Most of the people (other than Tre, Ford and Torrence) didn't start for quite a while my man. McDermott does NOT start rookies right away. 

Edited by warrior9