Joe Marino: 1/4 of Bills 2024 salary cap is dead cap!

JaCrispy

• JaCrispy changed the title to Joe Marino: 1/4 of Bills 2024 salary cap is dead cap! 😲😲😲

You can't expect to be paying Josh Allen's salary in dead cap and have a good a chance as other teams that are not having to.

People seem to forget this. But I'm still ok if we win the SB. 

Side note:

marinos podcasts have started to become so chalk full of sponsorships, adds, etc, it's almost becoming unlistenable.

Edited by Sharky7337
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

And meanwhile in the Big Apple - Bobby Bonilla is still getting 1.2 million a year- I know it's not the same but it could always be worse- dude left the team in 2000

Edit: not sure why I even wrote this - really nothing to do with what the OP point is- I think I was looking for something worse to try and soften the nonsense of forfeiting 25 %of the budget for zero return - it's worse than alimony - if that's even possible 

Edited by BlazinBill
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yeah I want some context here. What’s the average dead cap across the league?

30 million of it is from Diggs drama, so I don’t know if you could have really known that was gonna happen when you extended him. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

List of NFL teams cap space and dead money

Lots of teams have a substantial amount of dead money. It’s an obstacle, but the Bills aren’t alone with it. And they only have themselves to blame. Giving Diggs an extension and big pay bump with two seasons left on his contract was a big mistake (and I said so at the time). At that point it was already clear things weren’t good between him and the team. More money was not going to fix things. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

It isn't surprising, based on our roster the past 4 years. It's been absolutely stacked with depth and veteran leadership. We havent lost a regular season game by more than 6 points in that time (or something like that). Our window was wide open. 

We all knew that  2024 was when Josh's contract kicked in, so big changes were coming. Then the Diggs situation with a new contract and being traded. 

Like it or not, this is a reset year. It doesn't mean we can't overachieve and win a super bowl. Other teams have done more with less, but the hill is higher this year.

The silver lining is that next year looks good (from a cap perspective and draft capital). 

Edited by Captain_Quint
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• Simon changed the title to Joe Marino: 1/4 of Bills 2024 salary cap is dead cap!
29 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

List of NFL teams cap space and dead money

Lots of teams have a substantial amount of dead money. It’s an obstacle, but the Bills aren’t alone with it. And they only have themselves to blame. Giving Diggs an extension and big pay bump with two seasons left on his contract was a big mistake (and I said so at the time). At that point it was already clear things weren’t good between him and the team. More money was not going to fix things. 

Diggs’s extension isn’t hindsight for me either. I said at the time if you want to extend him with a pay raise, fine, but only 2 years maximum. That would put him at 32 where you could reevaluate him when his deal came due again. To go with a 4 year $96M extension when he had a couple years left was insane I thought. I wasn’t sure his contract and cap hit would be warranted at 33 and 34 years of age. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I'm more than happy to have them eat that this year as long as they spend it on some serious upgrades next year to retool for the back half of Allen's career.

Alas. Time and again. Free agent spending been proven that doesn’t lead to wins / Super Bowl victories.

they have to hit in the freaking draft 

need impact players

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

The good news is that we only have 4.5 million in dead cap in 2025.  The bad news is we only have 2.3 Million is actual cap space.  

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/overview/_/year/2025/sort/cap_total

I expect both numbers to grow.

For sure Milano and Von account for 40 million have to imagine those numbers change.  Knox is 14 and I don't think he sees that either.  Finally next year is allegedly the Josh renegotiation year.  I doubt he goes in with a 60 million cap hit.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Sharky7337 said:

You can't expect to be paying Josh Allen's salary in dead cap and have a good a chance as other teams that are not having to.

People seem to forget this. But I'm still ok if we win the SB. 

Side note:

marinos podcasts have started to become so chalk full of sponsorships, adds, etc, it's almost becoming unlistenable.

You’re probably the guy who rails on at paywalls and think reporters should work for free …. This is the business model that works toget these people paid so that, you know, they can eat?

• Like (+1) 1