New Depth Chart - Week 1

7 hours ago, BananaB said:

Yeah that pretty much says it all. Scrub vet over rookie, the McD way. 
Hamlin starting too. Lmao. You think he would of learned after Nate Peterman

This is just a silly comment.  Bishop missed virtually 100% of training camp and obviously did not play in any games.  Today was his first contact practice.  Despite all this, you expected him to start?  That makes no sense.  The same applies to Edwards, who while experienced, also missed all of training camp.  If you want to make a real criticism, find an argument that makes a little more sense than the one you are making.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I was called silly, unreasonable, and all sorts of other things when I said that the Bills would likely start the season with Mack Hollins as one of their two starting outside receivers. And here we are.

Yes, I realize they'll rotate heavily. Still. They released a depth chart indicating the starting player at each position, and at one of the outside receiver spots, they have Mack freakin Hollins listed. In 2024. For Josh Allen in his prime.

Fun. This is fun. I'm having fun.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Einstein said:

I think you may be experiencing some memory lapses my friend. Hamlin was awful pre near-death-experience game. Truly terrible. He was a problem and caused many of the issues we had on defense.

Do you mean the 2022 defense that was 2nd in the NFL in least points allowed?

Is it remotely possible that Hamlin has studied the mistakes he made in 2022, learned from them and is possibly a better player today than he was two seasons ago? It's not like McD has ever taken cast off safeties and turned them into All-Pro before.

• Like (+1) 3

55 minutes ago, FLFan said:

This is just a silly comment.  Bishop missed virtually 100% of training camp and obviously did not play in any games.  Today was his first contact practice.  Despite all this, you expected him to start?  That makes no sense.  The same applies to Edwards, who while experienced, also missed all of training camp.  If you want to make a real criticism, find an argument that makes a little more sense than the one you are making.  

Oh come on. McD babies these rookies unless he absolutely has to start them. Bishop has been in at all the OTAs, he’s been at all the meetings, if he’s ready to play physically he should be the option. The best thing for this team is for him to learn as much as possible, as soon as possible. No sense leaning on a guy that just ain’t that good and dragging Bishops learning curve along slowly. Put him in and let in play, In January and February we’ll be better off. Maybe better off in October and November as well

Edited by BananaB
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

58 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yes, I realize they'll rotate heavily. Still. They released a depth chart indicating the starting player at each position, and at one of the outside receiver spots, they have Mack freakin Hollins listed. In 2024. For Josh Allen in his prime.

They also have Curtis Samuel lined up on the boundary.  Don't read to much into the depth chart.  Lets look at targets and snap counts for the WRs in real games before we worry about who is list as a starter. 

Edited by GASabresIUFan

3 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Oh come on. McD babies these rookies unless he absolutely has to start them. Bishop has been in at all the OTAs, he’s been at all the meetings, if he’s ready to play physically he should be the option. The best thing for this team is for him to learn as much as possible, as soon as possible. No sense leaning on a guy that just ain’t that good and dragging Bishops learning curve along slowly. Put him in and let in play, In January and February we’ll be better off

Here are the rookies that either started or played a lot as rookies under McDermott:

• Greg Rousseau
  • Ed Oliver
  • Spencer Brown
  • Tremaine Edmunds
  • Tre White
  • O'Cyrus Torrence
  • Dion Dawkins
  • Dalton Kincaid
  • Devin Singletary
  • Cody Ford
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Elite:  Allen, Taron

Very Good, could be Elite this season:   Dawkins, Oliver, Rousseau, Bernard   

Elite Playmaker:  Rasul 

I wish there was a "ehh" emojie option.  I don't totally disagree, but I'm not sure Rasul is an elite playmaker.  We have some very good players, but i'm not sure any top 5 at their position outside of Allen.  We have some that could be, but ideally we'd have a better team around Allen, particularly on offense at this point.  

22 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I think predicting 11 wins might fall more in the astrology category. (I kid ... but I'm also predicting 9 wins with a 10-win ceiling).

Bruh:  If we lose 8 games then those who say JA17 is the most overrated are right.

37 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Is it remotely possible that Hamlin has studied the mistakes he made in 2022, learned from them and is possibly a better player today than he was two seasons ago? It's not like McD has ever taken cast off safeties and turned them into All-Pro before.

Hope #3 is one of them 🦬

21 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

This defense is poo.  Not a single quality edge rusher (unless miller returns to form), LB dept is super suspect and our safeties have to be to worst pairing in the league. I’m not concerned at all about the offense, but this D looks void of talent.  

Void of talent….: lol.

Rousseau is about to get paid 20M+, ed, Daquan, Bernard, benford, Douglas, Taron are all very good players.  We only look void of talent if you don’t know talent.  

We aren’t as talented in years past.  Our safeties are questionable as is Milano replacement.  There are holes and I think we will take a slight step back statistically (mostly due to a tougher schedule).  I don’t think we are void of talent.  Not even close

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

22 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Mack Hollins. Starting WR.

I think we’re done here.

22 hours ago, TBBills Fan said:

I don't get the love affair the coaches have with this guy

19 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Every year it seems like the over use of 1 guy infuriates me….I can already see this year is going to be Hollins. This guy is closer to a PS guy than a starter. I really hope I’m wrong about him but it’s inexcusable that this dude is even in the conversation for #2 WR. He’s a 5 in an average offense. I have seen how bad the Bills want to force this guy in from day 1. Hopefully they know something I don’t

8 hours ago, BananaB said:

Yeah that pretty much says it all. Scrub vet over rookie, the McD way. 
Hamlin starting too. Lmao. You think he would of learned after Nate Peterman

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I was called silly, unreasonable, and all sorts of other things when I said that the Bills would likely start the season with Mack Hollins as one of their two starting outside receivers. And here we are.

Guys, I think you are thinking of Hollins in the wrong way. Just because he is listed as the starting outside receiver on the depth chart does not mean he is Josh's second target. First of all, McD always defers to vets on depth charts, etc. He wants the young guys to have to prove it and overtake the vet. And, it is a respect thing. The vets have earned their stripes in the league.

Second, Hollins is an excellent blocker and a big body. Gabe Davis might not have had great hands, but he was a big asset as a blocker. He's gone. And we plan to run the ball more this year, so Hollins will help in that department and as a possession receiver for Josh. 

Plus, as far as target share goes, Kincaid, Shakir, Samuel, Coleman...and perhaps even Cook and Knox will get more targets than Hollins most likely. So, despite being listed as the "number two," he will probably be 5th-7th in actual targets. The Bills aren't looking for him to have a 700-800 yard year. That's for the other guys. Hollins is there to block and be a big body available for Josh on third downs or short yardage, etc. Plus, there will be a lot of rotating of the pass catchers, I would assume. I don't expect to see Hollins out there as the boundary receiver on every play the whole year. It will be situational dependent. Sometimes Shakir will be outside, sometimes it will be Coleman, or even MVS depending on the situation. I do expect to see Hollins out there say in 4-minute drills when we are trying to run the ball to run out the clock, etc.

We don't really know what Brady's offense will look like yet, or how Hollins fits exactly. He could actually surprise some of you (not in going off for a ton of yards, but in how his role actually helps the team). We'll see.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, folz said:

Guys, I think you are thinking of Hollins in the wrong way. Just because he is listed as the starting outside receiver on the depth chart does not mean he is Josh's second target. First of all, McD always defers to vets on depth charts, etc. He wants the young guys to have to prove it and overtake the vet. And, it is a respect thing. The vets have earned their stripes in the league.

Second, Hollins is an excellent blocker and a big body. Gabe Davis might not have had great hands, but he was a big asset as a blocker. He's gone. And we plan to run the ball more this year, so Hollins will help in that department and as a possession receiver for Josh. 

Plus, as far as target share goes, Kincaid, Shakir, Samuel, Coleman...and perhaps even Cook and Knox will get more targets than Hollins most likely. So, despite being listed as the "number two," he will probably be 5th-7th in actual targets. The Bills aren't looking for him to have a 700-800 yard year. That's for the other guys. Hollins is there to block and be a big body available for Josh on third downs or short yardage, etc. Plus, there will be a lot of rotating of the pass catchers, I would assume. I don't expect to see Hollins out there as the boundary receiver on every play the whole year. It will be situational dependent. Sometimes Shakir will be outside, sometimes it will be Coleman, or even MVS depending on the situation. I do expect to see Hollins out there say in 4-minute drills when we are trying to run the ball to run out the clock, etc.

We don't really know what Brady's offense will look like yet, or how Hollins fits exactly. He could actually surprise some of you (not in going off for a ton of yards, but in how his role actually helps the team). We'll see.

That's very possible I hope so

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, folz said:

On the one hand, I agree with what you're saying.

On the other hand, a discussion about why Mack Hollins being listed as a starting WR on your depth chart actually isn't a bad thing is not a discussion I was hoping to have to have four days before kickoff in the year of our lord, two-thousand-twenty-four. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Hahaha...I wanted to put the laugh emoticon, but didn't want it to seem that I was mocking your post.  I just legit laughed at the bolded.  

I do however think too much is being made of "Mack Hollins is starting" according this depth chart though.  It is going to be a lot less about "starters" and more about "packages" this year to start the season at least.  Keon is going to be on the field plenty and his role will only increase.  Keon took every rep and snap with the ones in camp from day 1 through the end of camp.  Keon started the game even when Hollins played in the 2nd preseason game.  And Keon had a great camp and showed no signs of demotion or a loss in confidence by the staff.  

And this regime has always made the rookies earn it unless they had no choice but to play them week 1.  Keon will get plenty of run on Sunday and chances to earn it.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Sure it’s possible. But I wasn’t predicting what will happen this year - I was stating what he was in 2022. And he was awful.

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Void of talent….: lol.

Rousseau is about to get paid 20M+, ed, Daquan, Bernard, benford, Douglas, Taron are all very good players.  We only look void of talent if you don’t know talent.  

We aren’t as talented in years past.  Our safeties are questionable as is Milano replacement.  There are holes and I think we will take a slight step back statistically (mostly due to a tougher schedule).  I don’t think we are void of talent.  Not even close

$20M per for and edge rusher is starter money not top end talent money.  Full disclosure, I like Rousseau, but to this point he hasn’t been a game changer, he’s not a top end edge rusher.  However, he has been great against the run…who knows maybe this is his year, he has looked great is the pre season.  Agree, Oliver and TJ are very good, but the others you mentioned are just good (average to slightly above).  You’re correct, Bills are not void of talent, but they are void of top end / game changing talent.  Life of a Bills fan, anticipate the worst and hope for the best.