New Depth Chart - Week 1

52 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

find it interesting that Shakir is designated as the only slot. I suspect we see more of him than just that.

I don't think that any of the receiver positions are written in stone.  We'll see Samuel in the slot, backfield and boundary.  Shakir will also move around.  Remember his physical stats are nearly the same as Diggs except Shakir is faster.  If Diggs can succeed on the boundary, I don't see why Shakir can't.  He played both slot and outside at Boise St.  Also Kincaid and Coleman can play inside.   

Brady promised "position less" football. I think we are going to see Brady try to confuse the D with formations with Kincaid, Shakir, Coleman, and Samuel lining up everywhere in the formation.  

The biggest surprises on this depth chart for me was Johnson as the No. 2 back and Hollins ahead of Coleman. Starting is one thing, but Coleman will out snap Hollins on offense sooner than later.

Edited by GASabresIUFan

I agree that safety is a major question mark for the Bills.  The good news is that both Rapp and Hamlin appear to have made significant strides in their mental grasp of the defense.  In the Bills's defense, I think mental sharpness is much more important than athleticism.  I'm still wary to their ability to matchup with speedy receivers and athletic tight ends, but I think they might be better than they've been in the past.  

3 hours ago, GoBills! said:

Excited to see Dorian get his chance , nervous that Damar is starting. He always seems a step behind or lost. 

I am way more nervous about Dorian. Dude was lost last year against weak offenses like NE and NYG. We had to play AJ Klein over him in the playoffs. Dorian has looked a little better in pass coverage this preseason but he really concerns me. I have seen both players floor and damars upside. Dorian’s floor is significantly lower than damars and his upside is a bit higher. 

I expect on obvious passing downs Dorian comes off the field for Edwards.  If safeties were truely worst in the league (not your language but other posters) this will not occur week 1. 

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

My comment about 'no stars' was purely subjective and not based on stats or formal recognition (All-Pro, etc.).  I think there are several above-average players on the roster but I think Josh is the only person that's viewed as a star around the league.  He may be the only elite playmaker we have this season.    

But I certainly don't want to argue this point with you, eball, because I want you to be right.   I hope the guys you named play so well, and we win so many games that new stars are crowned.   

While I think some fans tend to overrate their players, there are many who underrate them as well. I find that there are more of the latter in this forum.

Where we agree (I think) is that Josh alone makes this a team opponents fear. I just think the supporting cast is more talented than a lot of others do. 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

Rapp and Hamlin starting safety, that’s definitely the biggest eye popping weakness of the team. Hope our corners can play great coverage

I heard that McDermott can fix the Safety position irrespective of who you sign up.  Go Bills !!!

1 minute ago, eball said:

While I think some fans tend to overrate their players, there are many who underrate them as well. I find that there are more of the latter in this forum.

Where we agree (I think) is that Josh alone makes this a team opponents fear. I just think the supporting cast is more talented than a lot of others do. 

Completely agree.   Kincaid, Cook, Dawkins, Bernard, Oliver, Tauron Johnson, Rosseau are stars or stars in the making for this team. Go Bills!!!

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I find it interesting that Shakir is designated as the only slot. I suspect we see more of him than just that.

Shakir seems to play inside out from what Moulds told me.  He starts on inside and goes to outside in scramble drills to make him available to Josh and use sideline to prevent interceptions.

2 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

This defense is poo.  Not a single quality edge rusher (unless miller returns to form), LB dept is super suspect and our safeties have to be to worst pairing in the league. I’m not concerned at all about the offense, but this D looks void of talent.  

Defense is contingent upon Rousseau making the jump and Von being the guy reporters say they saw over the summer. 

“Devoid of Talent”…

Ed Oliver

Daquan Jones

Terrel Bernard

Christian Benford

Rasul Douglas

Taron Johnson 

Greg Rousseau

7/11 starters are very clearly upper level starters. 

Do we have elite talent anywhere on defense?  Remains to be seen.. but this isn’t a tomato can defense.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Just don't ask him to drop back in coverage and he could surprise🙃

Likelihood we go dime on obvious passing downs again?  I think it’s high. Who do you bring into the box?  I lean rapp but he was deep last year. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, eball said:

As long as someone reminds him to wear his cleats we’ll be fine.

How’s he gonna “feel the ground “ 

😂

4 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

No major surprises, though...

Earlier in preseason when I saw Damar listed as a starting safety, I thought he was just a place holder until people healed up or until the rookie proved himself worthy.  I guess not.  

When we drafted Pran-Granger, some thought he'd start this year.  He's currently third string.  

Ty Johnson is still ahead of Ray Davis on the depth chart.  

Did I really predict 11 wins?  We have one star player on offense and none on defense - not what a playoff roster is supposed to look like.  But this isn't astronomy so who needs stars?  I'm sticking with 11 wins.  

Ray Davis 3rd doesn’t surprise me. If a rookie isn’t truly needed McDermott tends to bury them right or wrong whether it’s a detriment to the team or not. 

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

So if Spencer Brown goes down they have Grable as his backup?  I would guess Van Demark would be the first guy up, on either side.

Also, no surprise, Kincaid has surpassed Knox on the official depth chart.  Gotta feel kinda weird making that kinda money falling behind a 2nd year guy.  

Lastly, wonder how many weeks it will be before Edwards and Bishop supplant Rapp/Hamlin.

Week 3🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️After what we see week 2😢

4 hours ago, SCBills said:

I’d honestly rather see anyone but Hamlin there..

Hope he proves me wrong. 

Not gonna lie, that was my previous stance as well and came into camp thinking he was a bubble player at best.  

But, being fair to Hamlin, he reportedly had a strong camp.  I still do not expect him to keep the starting spot and this is probably more a function of Edward’s and Bishop injuries, but I am at least encouraged by his camp.

I’m still not convinced he’s turned a corner until I see it in real games, but at least I feel better about him being out there than I did say at the start of camp.  

• Like (+1) 2

I drafted Ray Davis as an extremely late round pick and I'm stashing him... I don't care what the depth chart says, Ray Davis will contribute a lot to the Bills offensively as the season chugs on and could prove to be a steal if Cook's turnovers and drops are an issue. 

• Agree 2

AJE at the top of the depth chart???

McD is either really clueless or Miller is totally washed.  

Hollins over Coleman is just sad.  Beane has destroyed this WR group.  Instead of going up and getting a playmaker he traded back for a guy that couldn't win 1 on 1 matchup's in college and now can't beat out a guy who in all but one season had less than 20 catches a year.  

It will be interesting to see how this plays out over the first few weeks.  

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, MJS said:

Well, he filled in quite a lot before he had his near death experience, and he did fine. He wasn't a problem at safety. 

I think you may be experiencing some memory lapses my friend. Hamlin was awful pre near-death-experience game. Truly terrible. He was a problem and caused many of the issues we had on defense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I drafted Ray Davis as an extremely late round pick and I'm stashing him... I don't care what the depth chart says, Ray Davis will contribute a lot to the Bills offensively as the season chugs on and could prove to be a steal if Cook's turnovers and drops are an issue. 

Agree, I drafted him all 3 of my leagues

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I think you may be experiencing some memory lapses my friend. Hamlin was awful pre near-death-experience game. Truly terrible. He was a problem and caused many of the issues we had on defense.

He had the occasional bad play, for sure. But he was a 2nd year player thrust into being a starter after injuries. I thought he had his promising moments. I thought he was ok overall. Not good, but at least ok. Perhaps he has progressed.

Regardless, his time as a starter is going to be limited. Cole Bishop will eventually take that job.