New Depth Chart - Week 1

18 minutes ago, skibum said:

Dang, they kept Darrynton Evans just to be the 4th string KOR? He must be a special teams ace? I wish they would put the special teams lineups on these things, too.

Evans didn't make the 53 man roster.  Neither did Travis Clayton (he's on IR) but they have him as 3rd string RT.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

Rapp and Hamlin starting safety, that’s definitely the biggest eye popping weakness of the team. Hope our corners can play great coverage

I can't recall who reported this but someone said Hamlin is playing better than he ever had before.

I really hope this is true considering he's starting.  

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

I’d honestly rather see anyone but Hamlin there..

Hope he proves me wrong. 

Well, he filled in quite a lot before he had his near death experience, and he did fine. He wasn't a problem at safety. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

We have one star player on offense and none on defense

Do you have a specific definition for “star” other than All-Pro?

I’d say the Bills have a number of guys on the offense besides Josh I’d call stars — Cook, Kincaid, Dawkins — several more who are above-average and/or rising — Shakir, Samuel — and a couple of rookies who could surprise — Coleman, Davis.

On defense, Ed Oliver is a star.  Taron Johnson is a star.  Rasul Douglas is a star.  Terrell Bernard is a star.  Rousseau looks primed to become a star.

Daquan Jones is, at worst, above-average.  Benford is above-average.  The front seven of this defense should be fierce.  The only place we’re unproven is at safety, and I’ll put my faith in McD’s ability to coach up the secondary.

They’ll win at least 12.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

I’d honestly rather see anyone but Hamlin there..

Hope he proves me wrong. 

I thought he was really good at times when he was filling in before.  He's not great in coverage, but is a really good tackler & covers the run lanes well.

Hamlin starting out of the gate isn't eye popping to me. Bishop and Edwards missed all of Training Camp. They're not going to start one of them on Mental Reps alone. I'd doubt it's going to stay that way after a few weeks, unless Hamlin surprisingly impresses.

The surprising things to me are Samuel starting on the Outside and Ray Davis being 3rd on the RB depth chart.

I suppose Samuel starting on the Outside doesn't necessarily mean that's where he's staying exclusively. He could take half the reps there and switch to the slot when Samuel or Kincaid is off the field and have Coleman or MVS in his spot.

Davis being RB3 is bothersome to me. It screams the McDermott way of bringing Rookies along slowly. I don't want another Rookie situation where he's treating Davis as an afterthought until Year 2. If he's showing what he showed in the Pre-Season, I would really hate if Ty Johnson stayed cemented as the change of pace back.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Hamlin starting out of the gate isn't eye popping to me. Bishop and Edwards missed all of Training Camp. They're not going to start one of them on Mental Reps alone. I'd doubt it's going to stay that way after a few weeks, unless Hamlin surprisingly impresses.

The surprising things to me are Samuel starting on the Outside and Ray Davis being 3rd on the RB depth chart.

I suppose Samuel starting on the Outside doesn't necessarily mean that's where he's staying exclusively. He could take half the reps there and switch to the slot when Samuel or Kincaid is off the field and have Coleman or MVS in his spot.

Davis being RB3 is bothersome to me. It screams the McDermott way of bringing Rookies along slowly. I don't want another Rookie situation where he's treating Davis as a guy he treats as an afterthought until Year 2. If he's showing what he showed in the Pre-Season, I would really hate if Ty Johnson stayed cemented as the change of pace back.

I knew Samuel would start on the outside.  Shakir is the slot guy.  But Samuel will be moved all over.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

I knew Samuel would start on the outside.  Shakir is the slot guy.  But Samuel will be moved all over.

They ALL will.  The goal of this offense is that all of the receivers can play all of the positions.  I’d go so far as to say the actual depth chart is pretty useless.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Every year it seems like the over use of 1 guy infuriates me….I can already see this year is going to be Hollins. This guy is closer to a PS guy than a starter. I really hope I’m wrong about him but it’s inexcusable that this dude is even in the conversation for #2 WR. He’s a 5 in an average offense. I have seen how bad the Bills want to force this guy in from day 1. Hopefully they know something I don’t

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

I’d say the Bills have a number of guys on the offense besides Josh I’d call stars — Cook, Kincaid, Dawkins — several more who are above-average and/or rising — Shakir, Samuel — and a couple of rookies who could surprise — Coleman, Davis.

On defense, Ed Oliver is a star.  Taron Johnson is a star.  Rasul Douglas is a star.  Terrell Bernard is a star.  Rousseau looks primed to become a star.

Daquan Jones is, at worst, above-average.  Benford is above-average.  The front seven of this defense should be fierce.  The only place we’re unproven is at safety, and I’ll put my faith in McD’s ability to coach up the secondary.

They’ll win at least 12.

My comment about 'no stars' was purely subjective and not based on stats or formal recognition (All-Pro, etc.).  I think there are several above-average players on the roster but I think Josh is the only person that's viewed as a star around the league.  He may be the only elite playmaker we have this season.    

But I certainly don't want to argue this point with you, eball, because I want you to be right.   I hope the guys you named play so well, and we win so many games that new stars are crowned.   

All the rookies are slated near the back depth. Makes sense. .. I think the WR's are interchangeable to a degree. Also there are guys (injured) who will be starting as soon as they either get healthy or get the system down. .... Regardless, this is a 8-10 win team and that's the price you pay for goin all in. (it happens) That being said, I hope they stay healthy and prove me wrong. .. GO BILLS

So if Spencer Brown goes down they have Grable as his backup?  I would guess Van Demark would be the first guy up, on either side.

Also, no surprise, Kincaid has surpassed Knox on the official depth chart.  Gotta feel kinda weird making that kinda money falling behind a 2nd year guy.  

Lastly, wonder how many weeks it will be before Edwards and Bishop supplant Rapp/Hamlin.

A little jarring to see WLB with Dorian's name there in print - we'll need him to step up

To me the safety order is short term for the first games - once they are healthy and up to speed fully expect to see Edwards and Bishop in there 

1 hour ago, eball said:

They’ll win at least 12.

I appreciate the fandom, but this is not in touch with reality. besides josh we don’t have any player in the discussion of best at their position. (Kincaid has a chance)

there’s a few borderline pro-bowlers, but zero potential hall of famers. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1