New uniform and helmet in 2025?

Beast

https://uni-watch.com/2024/09/02/uni-watch-2024-nfl-uniform-preview-afc-east/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR0JkcnLOziobatja8bxDhAeq0rmOKa5unytj6O4T67FZ9Fv_PhQmePf7vQ_aem_v53yyppKjQFmxOMCxvHNMw

Uni-watch speaks of this “rumor”.

I always thought they would have a re-make when they opened the new stadium but maybe they want to see them during the last year at the stadium?

I guess we’ll see. The last re-make, when Donahoe took over, was about as bad as you can get. I am a little nervous tinkering with one of the better uni’s in the NFL.

• Agree 1

I am not sure they were talking about a new home and away design.  I am pretty sure they were talking about having a new alternate design.   The NFL will allow all teams to have a third helmet design beginning in 2025.  So I think the assumption or "rumor" here is you may see a new alternate uniform and helmet as opposed to all reds with the current helmet. 

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Agree 1

We had arguably some of the ugliest uniforms during the drought era.  Ralph Wilson was half dead, Russ Brandon was busy hitting on coworkers, Jauron was focused on punting well.  How they let those disgusting uniforms go on year after year is beyond me.

No reason at all to change the current uniforms, bring out the throwback periodically for special games.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Beast said:

https://uni-watch.com/2024/09/02/uni-watch-2024-nfl-uniform-preview-afc-east/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR0JkcnLOziobatja8bxDhAeq0rmOKa5unytj6O4T67FZ9Fv_PhQmePf7vQ_aem_v53yyppKjQFmxOMCxvHNMw

Uni-watch speaks of this “rumor”.

I always thought they would have a re-make when they opened the new stadium but maybe they want to see them during the last year at the stadium?

I guess we’ll see. The last re-make, when Donahoe took over, was about as bad as you can get. I am a little nervous tinkering with one of the better uni’s in the NFL.

It will just be the addition of alternates. Not a new set.

4 minutes ago, mathja said:

Just fix the stupid collars that don’t come all the way around the neck. 

Aside from the unnecessary black / dark navy outlines that look soooo out of place for what should be a simple & elegant design, the collars that have changed like 11 times since the Nike sets debuted are a 👎. One solution would be to just make the collars the same color as the rest of the jersey, like the ‘64-5 throwbacks did. Again… simple, elegant.

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

I am not sure they were talking about a new home and away design.  I am pretty sure they were talking about having a new alternate design.   The NFL will allow all teams to have a third helmet design beginning in 2025.  So I think the assumption or "rumor" here is you may see a new alternate uniform and helmet as opposed to all reds with the current helmet. 

The rumors for the past couple of years since the end of the league’s one-shell rule for helmets have just been about when a Kelly-era alternate / throwback will appear. Josh wearing the alt helmets in the Red&Blue games have fueled speculation.

It seems like they might debut them for the final year in Rich/Ralph/Highmark1.0 Stadium, and if they DON’T do this, it will be a HUUUUGE error for the marketing & design dept. HUGE. It’s well past time as it is.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Slippery Rubber Mats said:

Red helmet sucks

I agree.  It really doesn't look good.  The current uniforms overall are terrific.

If they want to do a 90s throwback uniform instead of the 1 color rush game, I wouldnt complain.  

• Like (+1) 2

I would expect at some point a different alternate then the red to change it and a throwback either standing Buffalo or finally the red. I have thought for a while do they change unis a little for the new stadium... BUT the Pegulas have been pretty steadfast that they like the consistent identity and switching uniforms messes with that something they learned the hardway for a bit with the Sabres. I can see them maybe dabbling with a different alternate once the new stadium opens, but realistically I think it is more likely you get the Red helmet 90s look twice a year & either red uni or throwback whites and that is it.

I'm all for a new alternate. But, new uniforms are almost always worse, and when teams go back to their traditional look, it is almost always better. The Bills did that and now they have great uniforms.

It is the novelty bias, that has people excited for change just for change's sake. And organizations that are immersed in their own branding 24/7 get sick of it and want to change the look, even if changes are not really warranted.

They do the same thing in the English Premier League (as well as just about every American sport) and the alternatives never look all that good. Sometimes, they are downright awful. I know it's all about selling merchandise, but why would anyone want to buy an ugly version from their favorite team? Makes literally no sense to me.