How much better is Joe Brady?

Lost

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Wrecking booths doesn’t show high energy.  It can show that they are quick to anger, easily frustrated, or frequently irritable.  

Agreed.  Some people are pretty flat or down most of the time - low energy - but can flare up when they get angry or whatever.  That's kinda worst of both worlds when it comes to a leader/boss.  I wasn't around Dorsey day-to-day obviously, so I don't know if he fits that bill.  But it's definitely a personality type that's out there, and it seems like it might've described Dorsey during his tenure as OC.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I mean I took a TON of heat at the time for saying I thought it was concerning. Back then the consensus here was a coach showing fire is a good thing. But it was an uncontrolled rage. And coaches who lose control lose their guys. By the middle of his second season his guys were asking the Head Coach to fire him per other posters on this forum. It doesn't surprise me one bit. 

I wasn't bothered by the meltdown at the time... with the caveat that if that's a pattern that persists, it's really bad.  Having one (1) meltdown after a legitimately brutal loss in one of your first games as OC shows fire & passion.  Having a second meltdown, pretty much no matter what, means he didn't learn from the first one.

Here's what Damian Harris has to say about Brady, from article in he Athletic:

Damien Harris announced his retirement in March, but he was there in Buffalo last season when the Bills made the switch to Joe Brady at offensive coordinator and Josh Allen took off. Three games into this season, Allen is still ascending.

So when Damien joined co-host Chase Daniel and me on the Friday episode of the “Scoop City” podcast, we asked him: Why is this QB-OC marriage thriving? Here’s what Damien had to say:

“Josh is literally the world’s biggest, strongest, fastest toddler. He’s so playful. He loves to joke. He loves to have a good time. And when you’re a guy that’s that talented and that can win you games at the level of Josh Allen can, relax and be a little bit loose, that’s the way you’ve got to ride.

“Joe Brady’s as cool as the other side of the pillow. And he coached at LSU, so he’s been with guys who had that superstar nature. He’s been a part of those cultures where it’s like, ‘We just show up and we play ball. It don’t matter what you call. Let us call the plays. Because whatever you put on a call sheet, we’re going to make it work.’

“Look at the emergence of Jimbo (James) Cook. Josh Allen is like, if I’m going to be the best version of myself, we’ve got to get this dude going in the pass game and the run game. Joe Brady is getting James Cook involved, and that’s because Josh Allen wants him involved.”

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5799263/2024/09/27/caleb-williams-rough-start/   Part on Allen is about 2/3 of the way down the article for those that have access

• Thank you (+1) 2

y

16 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Really good stuff. All plays using 6 OLmen. We're going to see a lot of this against the Ravens. And I'm predicting that we even have some success against their tough run defense. When they sell out to stop the run though, the pass is really going to kill them.

Edited by Rockinon
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

Wrecking booths doesn’t show high energy.  It can show that they are quick to anger, easily frustrated, or frequently irritable.  

I didn't say wrecking booths was good energy.  I agree that it showed a level of immaturity that you would not want from someone who is supposed to be a leader.  However, I don't remember noticing that Dorsey was particularly low energy in general.  

52 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

I didn't say wrecking booths was good energy.  I agree that it showed a level of immaturity that you would not want from someone who is supposed to be a leader.  However, I don't remember noticing that Dorsey was particularly low energy in general.  

Sorry, I wasn’t implying that you were.  Should’ve been more specific.  Was just making a statement.

idk if Dorsey was low energy, but he certainly seems low energy when compared to Brady.  He and Babich both bring high energy.  Love those guys so far

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

On 9/26/2024 at 11:58 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

One thing I noticed on Monday is the energy.  

Last year, I went to the Giants SNF game where our offense sucked.  Before the game, I was watching warm ups and looking at Dorsey.  He was just pacing back and forth on the sidelines by himself.  No head phones on, not interacting with anyone…just pacing.

This past Monday, I am watching Brady and he is dapping everyone up, he is dancing, rapping the lyrics and just bringing energy.

Im looking at Babich and its the same way.  He’s as energetic as the players.

Moving on from low energy Leslie Frazier and low energy Dorsey was the best decision this team made.  

I would not mind Frazier back as a Senior Defense Assistant.  He could handle some of the work and give Coach MvD some breaks and still do what he was good at designing defenses (i.e. Bills vs Ravens playoffs) and relating to men.  Dorsey I did not like when he was here for he seemed to me out of control.

Edited by Saxum
added more info
  • Vomit 2

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

Sorry, I wasn’t implying that you were.  Should’ve been more specific.  Was just making a statement.

idk if Dorsey was low energy, but he certainly seems low energy when compared to Brady.  He and Babich both bring high energy.  Love those guys so far

I mean, that was the time period of all that "low positive" talk.

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

I mean, that was the time period of all that "low positive" talk.

Allen's head space right now is light years above where it was last season

IMO Diggs on field and sideline + Dorsey during week  = a large part of that 

& everyone on O looks to be having FUN while destroying the opponent 

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Agree 3

9 hours ago, Rockinon said:

y

Really good stuff. All plays using 6 OLmen. We're going to see a lot of this against the Ravens. And I'm predicting that we even have some success against their tough run defense. When they sell out to stop the run though, the pass is really going to kill them.

He is focusing on the 6th olineman, but the Bills have actually been doing that for years, now, even back with Daboll. So, this is something that Joe Brady has kept from the previous offense. Brady is actually known more for just 5 man protections (no blocking from TE's or RB's) and the Bills were doing a lot of that the first couple of games.

The offense is great, though, because they have incorporated new Brady concepts but held onto a lot of the bread and butter stuff they've been doing for years, like the jumbo TE/6th olineman.

On 9/22/2024 at 12:58 PM, Rockinon said:

One thing I am seeing is a larger percentage of pre-snap motions. What this does is, it gives Allen an opportunity to watch how the defense responds to that motion and identify what type of coverage they are in.

I've heard this strategy many times, and it seems to represent an excellent opportunity to fool the offense doing it. They send a man in motion, you have someone mirror him, signaling man coverage. The QB responds accordingly, and--Surprise!--you drop into zone. 

Do teams do this switcheroo? Is it even plausible?