Diggs' Drama

Simon

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Coleman and Shakir might actually be able to execute on those due to their physicality.  Diggs can break a tackle but he did surprisingly little with those screens.

Diggs might the best route runner the Bills have ever had, but he broke tackles like a punter trying to tackle someone (feebly flopping to the ground as fast a he can). Every route was a curl route as he fell sideways to the ground...so I'm not sure about "Diggs can break a tackle..."

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Ballhawk said:

Diggs might the best route runner the Bills have ever had, but he broke tackles like a punter trying to tackle someone (feebly flopping to the ground as fast a he can). Every route was a curl route as he fell sideways to the ground...so I'm not sure about "Diggs can break a tackle..."

50 second mark

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Coleman and Shakir might actually be able to execute on those due to their physicality.  Diggs can break a tackle but he did surprisingly little with those screens.

True, he made some guys miss but it definitely wasn't his bread and butter. Definitely not a guy who could break a tackle, needed to make a guy miss. If the play was diagnosed, it was generally dead.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

He did *****in' forget how play *****in' football in the KC playoff game.  Nice drop Stef.  ***** you and the horse you rode in on.  What a self-centered ahole.  Good riddance.  

It wasn't just this last playoff game as the guy disappeared in previous playoff games too. The Chiefs had their best corner in Sneed covering Diggs in the first half of that playoff game and in the second half, he moved to cover Shakir, who BTW caught the only TD pass against him all season in that game.

He did well in 2020 in three Playoff games.

However, in 2021 against the Patriots, 4 targets, 3 catches for 60 yards. Then in the very next game against the Chiefs, 6 targets for 3 catches for 7 yards. 

In 2022, against the Dolphins he did well with 9 targets for 7 receptions, 114 yards. Then against the Bengals 10 targets, 4 receptions for 35 yards. 

In 2023, against the Steelers 9 targets, 7 receptions for 52 yards.( most targets by any Bill that game) Next game against the Bengals 8 targets, 3 receptions for 21 yards, one fumble. 

Needless to say, Diggs was a ball hog (happy to pad his stats)during the regular season and his play fell off quite a bit in the playoffs. 

Buffalo, Beane did well to get a 2nd round pick in 2025 for the guy. 

• Like (+1) 3

What a shame. He is great when you keep him happy. And then he isn't. I wish his mental space didn't so heavily determine his play on the field. He was downright bad the last half of the season. Allen's numbers throwing to him were atrocious.

I'm glad a volatile guy like him is no longer in the picture. But he sure produced some great years for Buffalo.

• Agree 1

Sometimes I think the mental and emotional toll a receiver takes on a quarterback can outweigh the on-field production he gives that quarterback.

In other words, the constant little voice in the back of Josh's head going "I need to keep Stef happy. I need to get #14 the ball". That's gone now. The need to massage the ego -- and let's be honest here, as hard of a worker as he may have been and as good of a leader as he may have been at times, Diggs has a massive ego that constantly needs massaging -- is gone. 

Sometimes, when the little (loud, insistent, toxic) voice in a quarterback's ear vanishes, the quarterback suddenly plays a freer, more pure brand of football, where he's solely looking at who's open and making the right reads on a play, and not having to worry about keeping a certain personality happy.

That's what I think his going to happen here. I think Diggs' on-field contributions are great, and that he's still a great player. But I also think his intangible toxicity grew to outweigh his on-field contributions. I think that Josh -- and by extension, the Bills offense -- will be better off without him. Healthier. More diverse. And Digg's playoff disappearing acts? I won't miss those either.

Josh and the Bills just got out of a toxic relationship. That's what happened.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

yeah that’s going to be Houston’s Super Bowl for sure

Doubt it.

Texans fans really dont have the level of love for Diggs (at least not yet) to match the level of animus Bills fans have for Diggs..  Texans fans after last year are wildly optimistic (as they should be)  and I think winning 2 playoff games is very reasonable for them this year and no I wouldst be shocked to see them in the Super Bowl.

7 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Doubt it.

Texans fans really dont have the level of love for Diggs (at least not yet) to match the level of animus Bills fans have for Diggs..  Texans fans after last year are wildly optimistic (as they should be)  and I think winning 2 playoff games is very reasonable for them this year and no I wouldst be shocked to see them in the Super Bowl.

LOL so they going to do it over the...

Ravens

Chiefs

Bills

Bengals

???

i would be shocked. 

1 minute ago, PrimeTime101 said:

LOL so they going to do it over the...

Ravens

Chiefs

Bills

Bengals

???

i would be shocked. 

Well we disagree.  I said I wouldn't be shocked, didnt say the would.  Stock full of young talent,so far a great head coach.  Last year with a rookie HC, QB they won this first playoff game by 29 points, a young team by all parameters should only get better.

We shall see.

• Like (+1) 1

Passive aggressive shot over the bow.  Classic Diggs.  He’s talking ABOUT Buffalo and Minnesota.  He’s talking TO Houston.  “Gimme targets, or my mood goes south.”

Edited by Neo
  • Agree 1

Remember that you'll be hitting FA next season Stefon! You're going to need a bunch of targets/production to get that last big deal, don't let the fact that you're on a young up and coming super hyped up AFC team get in the way of the big picture!

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I hate to be the bearer of "bad news" but being here in Houston I hear nothing bur praise for Diggs on his leadership and veteran experience, it is like he is another coach on the field, blah blah blah.. What many in Buffalo, esp the fans, treated as being a loud malcontent , in Houston he, so far, is respected as a vocal leader. 

Texans are brilliant, Diggs on a one year deal. He will "behave".  At first his constant screaming in Buffalo demonstrated supposedly how competitive he was but after a few years of his screaming it got real old, especially in the light on Josh Allen maturing and no longer  didn't need a safety blanket. It is now Josh's team and he has matured as the leader, no room left for Diggs in Buffalo.  A second year QB on a young team (Houston) could probably really use Diggs as we did in Buffalo until the end.

The story about Diggs was exactly the same here... until the Bengals playoff game.  

That was the point things finally started unraveling (at least publicly).  Even after that sideline tantrum, most Bills fans were willing to shrug it off.  

Opinion on Diggs didn't really shift until the training camp absence last summer, and his production totally falling off in the second half.

• Agree 1