Diggs' Drama

Simon

2 hours ago, Mango said:

Pat MacAfee addressed pretty early the next day. Darius Butler agreed. Like him or hate him PM is pretty talented at what he does. EDIT: Point is, you don’t have to be a talentless slug to think that the entire vocabulary around this offense is purposefully anti-Diggs 

I also do not believe that this is not at least somewhat directed at Diggs. Very recently Stef openly talked about how he is chasing stats 4500 yards so he can get into the HoF conversation. And went as far as to say he forced his way out his last two teams. Ignoring that context would be willfully naive. 

It’s nice of Josh to say he wasn’t directing that comment at Diggs, and maybe he didn’t mean to publicly undress Diggs so passive aggressively like that. But the entire ethos of the offense “everybody eats” and we’re not chasing stats is 100% rooted in turning the page from Stef. 

You might read what follows and think it's a distinction without a difference, but I disagree that the entire ethos of the "everybody eats" offense is "100% rooted in turning the page from Stef".    I think it's entirely the other way around.   Stef turned the page on this offense because it became "everybody eats".

I think Brady took over after the Denver loss and said "OK - defenses feel they don't have to defend the run, they feel they don't have to interpret pre- and post-snap motion, our personnel groups are often a tell, and they can choke up the middle of the field and put their best guy on Diggs (or double him).  Done.  So what'r we gonna do?  We're gonna make them defend the whole field on us - run the ball until they show they can stop it, use the middle of the field that defending the run opens up, and spread the ball around so they get the flick: they can't just clamp down on Diggs and wait for Josh to force it for an incompletion or maybe a pick".

You're right, Diggs said it in GQ, he wants yards, he wants receptions, so if that's Brady's game he "wanted things to shake".

But you wrote the above as though the offense was designed by Brady as a reaction to Stefon Diggs and a need to turn the page on Diggs.  I think Brady designed the offense as a reaction to how teams were playing the Bills last season (and to some extent in 2022), and a need to re-cast the offensive philosophy in response.  And then Diggs wanted out.

• Like (+1) 11
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

You might read what follows and think it's a distinction without a difference, but I disagree that the entire ethos of the "everybody eats" offense is "100% rooted in turning the page from Stef".    I think it's entirely the other way around.   Stef turned the page on this offense because it became "everybody eats".

I think Brady took over after the Denver loss and said "OK - defenses feel they don't have to defend the run, they feel they don't have to interpret pre- and post-snap motion, our personnel groups are often a tell, and they can choke up the middle of the field and put their best guy on Diggs (or double him).  Done.  So what'r we gonna do?  We're gonna make them defend the whole field on us - run the ball until they show they can stop it, use the middle of the field that defending the run opens up, and spread the ball around so they get the flick: they can't just clamp down on Diggs and wait for Josh to force it for an incompletion or maybe a pick".

You're right, Diggs said it in GQ, he wants yards, he wants receptions, so if that's Brady's game he "wanted things to shake".

But you wrote the above as though the offense was designed by Brady as a reaction to Stefon Diggs and a need to turn the page on Diggs.  I think Brady designed the offense as a reaction to how teams were playing the Bills last season (and to some extent in 2022), and a need to re-cast the offensive philosophy in response.  And then Diggs wanted out.

A lot of things can be true at the same time without being so binary. 

Do I think Brady designed an entire offense to spite Diggs? No that’s insane.

Do I think that all the frequent use of language like “everybody eats” has some correlation to the guy who just told the world that he forced two teams to move on from him and wants to chase his own stat line? Yes. 

Does Josh “I don’t know who the fork they thought I was” Allen keep receipts? Yes, he has a record of it , and not to mention he’s named one of the biggest trash talkers in the league . 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

Do I think that all the frequent use of language like “everybody eats” has some correlation to the guy who just told the world that he forced two teams to move on from him and wants to chase his own stat line? Yes. 

Does Josh “I don’t know who the fork they thought I was” Allen keep receipts? Yes, he has a record of it , and not to mention he’s named one of the biggest trash talkers in the league . 

I always thought the "everybody eats" phrase was a response to all the questions players and coaches got about what are we going to do without a true #1 WR.  

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Long Suffering Fan said:

I always thought the "everybody eats" phrase was a response to all the questions players and coaches got about what are we going to do without a true #1 WR.  

That’s fair. But I am using it as a bit of a catch all for the wording around the offense this year. It feels like it’s been particularly pointed since before Allen’s recent stats comment.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Long Suffering Fan said:

they usually say "WR by committee" in that case scenario.  "Everybody eats" is usually a response to a drama queen stat chaser no longer on team.

yeah i made some of that up, but it is most plausible, lol  

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, DapperCam said:

Allen was voted #1 trash talker by his peers. If it was socially acceptable to roast opponents, former teammates, and media personalities he absolutely would.

This is where I'm at.  If he wanted to take a shot at someone, he does it on the field. 

Before or after the game is over, he's respectful to anyone and everyone.

1 hour ago, Mango said:

The "everybody eats" language has high correlation to all the questions about "whatcha gonna do without a #1 WR?" and "how are you going to fill in for the 152 receptions and 1929 yds contributed by Davis and Diggs last year?" (as best I can tell).

I don't think it either increased or decreased in frequency in response to the GQ article from Diggs.

I think Josh's trash talk is limited to on the field.  Is there probably some private motivation, if Diggs was lighting into Josh after practice and games, in Josh showing he can do or avoid whatever those criticisms were, probably.  But I don't think Diggs was criticizing Josh for failing to spread the ball around.  He made it clear in so many words (in mic'd up episodes) "I Need My Bag"

• Agree 1

After Diggs left minny he said the writing was on the wall.  a new coaching staff came in..they wanted to change the 

process to more of a run oriented game plan.   This took away from the "its all about me theme?  that Diggs lives by.

When Diggs came to buffalo Daboll was all about throwing the ball and as things progressed I think Daboll went into a shell 

and expected Josh to do everything, we were throwing the ball on every down most games almost for a while.

This was a euphoric for someoene like Diggs.   But once again once things wernt going diggs way he started to pull back and rebel.

Diggs has always been a me first player.  This is not to say that he isnt (wasnt) a great player but he's not a poster child for putting the team first.

I think once Daboll left it was more of battle getting the same focus from Ken Dorsey, plus Dorsey wasnt the play caller that Daboll was.

So diggs once again was starting to read the writing on the wall and by the time Brady arrived he was in full Minny mindset all over again forcing 

a team to trade him.   

Diggs is a total narcassist who constantly undermined the team with his passive agressive actions on social  media.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

After Diggs left minny he said the writing was on the wall.  a new coaching staff came in..they wanted to change the 

process to more of a run oriented game plan.   This took away from the "its all about me theme?  that Diggs lives by.

When Diggs came to buffalo Daboll was all about throwing the ball and as things progressed I think Daboll went into a shell 

and expected Josh to do everything, we were throwing the ball on every down most games almost for a while.

This was a euphoric for someoene like Diggs.   But once again once things wernt going diggs way he started to pull back and rebel.

Diggs has always been a me first player.  This is not to say that he isnt (wasnt) a great player but he's not a poster child for putting the team first.

I think once Daboll left it was more of battle getting the same focus from Ken Dorsey, plus Dorsey wasnt the play caller that Daboll was.

So diggs once again was starting to read the writing on the wall and by the time Brady arrived he was in full Minny mindset all over again forcing 

a team to trade him.   

Diggs is a total narcassist who constantly undermined the team with his passive agressive actions on social  media.

All star WRs are like this. They can't make money if they're not producing and they can't produce if they are not thrown the ball at least 10 times a game. Devonte Adams is going to diva his way to the Jets and his old buddy Aaron Rodgers, BTW. That process is already beginning. 

its possible allen didn't mean this as a shot at diggs, but if that's the case then clearly subconsciously it does show he's relieved to have a better team dynamic without diggs.

i still think clay travis said it best: you will be evaluated with what you bring to the table (talent) vs everything else (problems).  if you are borderline nfl level, you have to be a super team guy.  if you are tim tebow, who by all accounts is a good team guy, but come with distractions not necessarily of your own doing, they will still boot you.  if you are a total psycho jerk (romanowski, who's play i was a fan of, or rich incognito) they will keep you around as much as they can until the problems get too big.

I think in diggs' case, his attitude was accepted and even seen as somewhat of a positive (passion for the game, wanting to win, not shying away, etc) but once his actual production fell off two seasons in a row, he had to go. 

they let poyer go who bled bills red white and blue and who the team loves, because his production fell off.  that's the overriding thing here.  the media is playing up diggs because his behavior was so public, but if he caught that pass vs kc and ripped off like 3 TDs in the playoffs (i think we prolly win the sb if he does that too) then they'd keep him and accommodate his drama.  simple as that.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Damian said:

Imagine if we didn't do the trade for Diggs and we had Justin Jefferson on the team since 2020...

Diggs was needed when the Bills made that trade. I think having an experienced #1 WR did Josh a lot of good at that stage of his career. Him and Jefferson learning together may have worked but carried risk. And, even if they hadn't traded the first round pick, there's nothing to say they would have chosen Jefferson anyway.

There's a balance to take. This year was the right time for Diggs to go but he did a lot of good for the team whilst in Buffalo.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Diggs was needed when the Bills made that trade. I think having an experienced #1 WR did Josh a lot of good at that stage of his career. Him and Jefferson learning together may have worked but carried risk. And, even if they hadn't traded the first round pick, there's nothing to say they would have chosen Jefferson anyway.

There's a balance to take. This year was the right time for Diggs to go but he did a lot of good for the team whilst in Buffalo.

Well put, he played a crucial role over the last few years but he is getting older and a locker room problem, it was time.