Diggs' Drama

Simon

2 hours ago, amprov56 said:

It's sad, he cost himself money and he had potential to be a HOFer; I hope he has some great games and is smart enough to go out when it's time.

He didn’t even realize he was costing himself money either, I think this was an ‘I bet on myself’ type move and it likely isn’t gonna pan out for him 

diggs def convinced himself ‘its not me losing a step, I just don’t have help at wr to take some of the focus off me’. Probably thought he’d go to houston and outperform what he could do with buffalo and set up a big contract from a third team next year 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Collins had 400 yards his rookie year. So last years breakout took teams off guard. This year, he was a known commodity. Why do you think Houston gave up a 2nd for a guy on a one year deal? They think it’s important to have another impact guy to help out the offense. 

Collins wasn't getting open because he caught guys off guard.  He was their WR1 all season and drew coverage as such.  It's not like teams ignored him every week and let him do what he wanted because he was a 2nd year player.

honest question. Do you think the Bills are a better offense without Diggs (drama free because that’s why he was traded)? Save the two games against one of the worst defenses in the nfl last year (Arizona).

I will give you an honest answer, which is 100% yes, and in my mind it's not even a question.  The Cardinals just dismantled the Rams offense this week and their team as a whole.  AZ isn't the doormat people remember from last year.  But its more than 2 games.  Dorsey was on a 6 game skid when he got fired with bad losses to bad teams while the team averaged less than 20 ppg focusing on feeding Diggs as a WR1 alpha player. 

First game without Dorsey or a Diggs emphasis was against the Jets, a team we lost to in an ugly game week 1 under Dorsey.  In fact, in Dorseys 3 games against the Jets, the Bills averaged 17.5 PPG with Diggs as the lead weapon.  First game without Dorsey and without leaning on Diggs, we put up 32 points.  We would go on to average over 8 more points per game and go 6-1 to finish the season after removing the Diggs emphasis and Dorsey.  

Now in the first 2 games, we are averaging 32.5 PPG despite only trying for a game and a half really since we mailed it in and chewed clock and tried to get no one hurt for almost a half against Miami where we might of broke 50 on them if we hadn't.   

And again, Houston with all its weapons and perfect QB is 8.5 points less per game than us, and that is with them trying as hard as they can in close games for all 8 quarters otherwise it would be well over double digit difference had Bills not mailed it in during the 2nd half offensively with the game out of reach.  

I know our chemistry is better but I’m actually football, are they a better offense? WRs can have big impacts without monster stats (Julio Jones averaged 6 tds/ season) because they free up other guys. 

Diggs definitely didn’t have that mentality here but he may fake it in Houston for a year. Even if he isn’t prime Diggs, he makes them better. 

Yes and its not close IMHO.  We went from 5-5 to 9-2.  That is the only stat that matters.  5-5 leaning on Diggs, 9-2 not leaning on him and trading him.  We are winning more, scoring more, and more efficient.  It isn't even a question in my mind at this point.  

And like I said, I feel like it was a win-win move.  Diggs gets a better head space, has value in Houston where he doesn't have to be a lead WR and Bills benefit from playing unselfish team ball that has been a better formula for winning thus far without any of the dark clouds.  

As far as the impact WR's can make without monster stats I agree with.  But...the way you are using is more fan assumption than reality.  WR's make big impacts on the field through the dirty work...selling their routes when they know the ball isn't coming their way, blocking in the run game, blocking on routes going to other targets, flying to the ball in case they can help lay a block to spring the runner for a bigger play or score, etc.  Diggs was not known for that, that crown was carried by Davis and Davis alone.  Now we have a WR room where every guy on the field has bought into that dirty work, that team work and unselfish play.  So yeah, they can make a big impact off the stat sheets, but Diggs just wasn't on the same level in that regard to the guys we have on the field now.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

He didn’t even realize he was costing himself money either, I think this was an ‘I bet on myself’ type move and it likely isn’t gonna pan out for him 

diggs def convinced himself ‘its not me losing a step, I just don’t have help at wr to take some of the focus off me’. Probably thought he’d go to houston and outperform what he could do with buffalo and set up a big contract from a third team next year 

I think Diggs just wants to eventually end up in Dallas with his brother. I don't think he's too overly concerned with the $$$ at this point. He'll get a middle of the road deal and be content. Plus, no state taxes in Texas. He wasn't getting his way here anymore and had kinda worn out his welcome with his antics. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Oh yeah… that was the famous Detroit thanksgiving game which saw him score a TD and catch one of Josh’s best passes. Good times!  

But think the Cincinnati game was the eruption and something had been going on earlier that season.  Like I shared before, Diggs always did those midweek press conferences and for some reason they stopped making him available for weeks.  I think this was around the time of the Detroit game. 

The story I heard (and this is from someone in the B'lo media) is that media kept asking for Diggs and the answer was that he refused availability (not that the team wasn't making him available)

15 hours ago, dma0034 said:

Their division isn't very good. IMO the Jags were their only really obstacle and they look like they'll be a below average team this year.

Second round pick is from the Vikes; reason I said I wasn't as hopeful about its value was watching them thump the 49ers

I guess we'll see what they really got when they play Houston next week

Edited by Beck Water

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Making a lot out of two games. Also, the Bears have a very good and improving defense. 

Diggs (and I know he hates it) also helps free up Collins to be a monster as well. 

Eh, maybe.   Lots of things can happen in the NFL.  Collins looks like a beast, sometimes beasts get bit by the injury bug (see Pacheco, Isaiah; Bernard, Terrel) and then maybe Diggs will get put in a role productive of more yards.

Collins was ripping off 100+ yard games (he had 5 of 'em and another that was close) last season when the 2nd receiver was Tank Dell (who missed 6 games I think) or Noah Brown.

Which somewhat suggests to me that Collins 6'4" 220 lb ass can free itself up and be its own monster.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Collins had 400 yards his rookie year. So last years breakout took teams off guard. This year, he was a known commodity. Why do you think Houston gave up a 2nd for a guy on a one year deal? They think it’s important to have another impact guy to help out the offense. 

Ya think maybe Collins had 400 yds his rookie year because he had Davis Mills and Kyle Allen throwing passes to him and Pep Hamilton as his OC?

Teams watch film.  No one was being "taken off guard" by Collins after the 2nd week of the 2023 season when Stroud went off for 337 passing yards and Collins had 146 of them.

The Texans weren't quite sure what they'd get back, and when, from Tank Dell who ended the season on IR with a serious fibula fracture.  They are "all in" this season.  Kudos to them for investing in their WR room, so sure, they think it's important to have another impact guy.