Diggs' Drama

Simon

29 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Something happened during the offensive slump in the 2022 season.  Things between the Bills and Diggs were the same again  

I feel the vibes around Diggs are very negative from the fan base and vice versa.  

In 10 years (probably more like 5) or so I believe both sides will fully appreciate what each did for the other 

I mean we’re holding the whole team to this ‘only the playoffs matter’ standard, if that applies to diggs what did he really do for us?  

He had a nice playoff run in 2020 but since then hasn’t done much of anything.  Complete no show in both those recent close losses to kc.  I wouldn’t have much of a problem with that production if he had a team first attitude but that very much does not seem to be the case.  He’s out there trying to make it sound like everyone failed him 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I laughed when he made the yardage comment about the HoF. He could get the additional 4000yards and he'd still not warrant the HoF. He's been a very good WR, but thats it. He'll be remembered as just another good WR of his era. He's never been a game changer or game breaker and he's done nothing special to be remembered by. He really has no major milestones or achievements that others before him have not had. His Minnesota miracle aint gonna cut it, and he's running out of time. 

8 minutes ago, Malazan said:

I don't think so. He's only there for a year. He's not integral to their offense. If he acts up, he's out.

Yea they’re not really obligated to try to keep him happy and he has to play nice since he’s hitting free agency again soon.  I really think he cost himself a lot of money if he actually did force this trade, I don’t think he’ll outperform his averages from even the second half of last season 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Yea they’re not really obligated to try to keep him happy and he has to play nice since he’s hitting free agency again soon.  I really think he cost himself a lot of money if he actually did force this trade, I don’t think he’ll outperform his averages from even the second half of last season 

It's sad, he cost himself money and he had potential to be a HOFer; I hope he has some great games and is smart enough to go out when it's time.

• Like (+1) 1

Not sure how there is even a debate at this point.  

Diggs final 10 games in Buffalo he averaged 8.9 ypc, bad numbers for a backup TE.  Now in Houston, after 2 weeks, the Texans have struggled to beat an average at best Colts team and a bad Bears team and Diggs is again averaging a pathetic 7 ypc through 2 weeks.  This is a "WR1" allegedly with a YPC average that would get a backup TE cut through 12 games.  Is Diggs now a "bad" WR...of course not...but he isn't close to what he was and the fact Beane got a 2nd for him, even if the Vikings surprise and the 2nd is a late 2nd, its a steal.  

When the offense flowed through Diggs we were 5-5 and losing to terrible teams while we averaged under 20 PPG for six straight games leading to Dorsey getting fired.  Once we went away from that our PPG jumped to 28 and we went 6-1 to come back and win the division and 2 seed.   

2024 points per game:

Houston - 24 with a "stacked" and "loaded" offense with a "mistake free" QB 

Buffalo - 32.5 with a "bottom 3" group of receivers and weapons and an "overrated and mistake prone" QB.

There is no argument that can be made today that suggests we didn't become a better team and offense moving away from Diggs last year and moving on from him this year.  Now will this continue to be true, well we don't know.  Maybe Diggs starts averaging 80+ yards per game again in Houston as the season goes on, maybe the Bills offense hits a rut when teams have more film on it.  But as of today, it's clear Bills have been better since moving away from Diggs first football.  

• Like (+1) 6

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Diggs final 10 games in Buffalo he averaged 8.9 ypc, bad numbers for a backup TE.  Now in Houston, after 2 weeks, the Texans have struggled to beat an average at best Colts team and a bad Bears team and Diggs is again averaging a pathetic 7 ypc through 2 weeks.  This is a "WR1" allegedly with a YPC average that would get a backup TE cut through 12 games.  Is Diggs now a "bad" WR...of course not...but he isn't close to what he was and the fact Beane got a 2nd for him, even if the Vikings surprise and the 2nd is a late 2nd, its a steal.  

When the offense flowed through Diggs we were 5-5 and losing to terrible teams while we averaged under 20 PPG for six straight games leading to Dorsey getting fired.  Once we went away from that our PPG jumped to 28 and we went 6-1 to come back and win the division and 2 seed.   

2024 points per game:

Buffalo - 32.5 with a "bottom 3" group of receivers and weapons and an "overrated and mistake prone" QB.

There is no argument that can be made today that suggests we didn't become a better team and offense moving away from Diggs last year and moving on from him this year.  Now will this continue to be true, well we don't know.  Maybe Diggs starts averaging 80+ yards per game again in Houston as the season goes on, maybe the Bills offense hits a rut when teams have more film on it.  But as of today, it's clear Bills have been better since moving away from Diggs first football.  

Cannot argue with anything in your post.

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

2024 points per game:

Making a lot out of two games. Also, the Bears have a very good and improving defense. 

Diggs (and I know he hates it) also helps free up Collins to be a monster as well. 

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Making a lot out of two games. Also, the Bears have a very good and improving defense. 

Diggs (and I know he hates it) also helps free up Collins to be a monster as well. 

Wait are we doing the Watkins decoy defense again?  I mean hasn’t this been somewhat debunked already given everyone said only Diggs drawing extra attention is the only reason anyone got open last year?  Yet here we are with guys open, more efficient, and scoring more points without Diggs.  And for all that help Diggs is giving to Nico, who had no problem getting open before Diggs arrival, we are averaging almost 10 more points per game than them despite mailing it in for almost an entire half.  

And it’s not 2 games, it’s 12 games between last year and this year.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Wait are we doing the Watkins decoy defense again?  I mean hasn’t this been somewhat debunked already given everyone said only Diggs drawing extra attention is the only reason anyone got open last year?  Yet here we are with guys open, more efficient, and scoring more points without Diggs.  And for all that help Diggs is giving to Nico, who had no problem getting open before Diggs arrival, we are averaging almost 10 more points per game than them despite mailing it in for almost an entire half.  

And it’s not 2 games, it’s 12 games between last year and this year.  

You really think he isn’t helping Collins? Johnson wasn’t shadowing Collins. You know football better than that. He also does already have 2 tds. And I would bet on the Bears having a top 10 defense. 

do I think Diggs is declining sure? Do I think Diggs helped Shakir get open last year? Yes.  Do I think Brady’s offense might not be received friendly? Starting to look that way. Do I think the Bills are going to miss a drama free (and that’s the problem) Diggs this year? Absolutely. 

57 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I mean we’re holding the whole team to this ‘only the playoffs matter’ standard, if that applies to diggs what did he really do for us?  

He had a nice playoff run in 2020 but since then hasn’t done much of anything.  Complete no show in both those recent close losses to kc.  I wouldn’t have much of a problem with that production if he had a team first attitude but that very much does not seem to be the case.  He’s out there trying to make it sound like everyone failed him 

This is a big part of the Diggs narrative.  Many here will excuse his antics on the sideline as being “competitive” and wanting to win. That’s fine.  

But all that talk about being legacy and being one of the greats rings hollow when your number is called and you don’t deliver.  

Sadly, as great of a 4-year run as Diggs had the lasting impression with fans is the massive catch he didn’t make when they needed him.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

Something happened during the offensive slump in the 2022 season.  Things between the Bills and Diggs were the same again.

I felt like everything shifted after the Bengals playoff loss.

It had kind of been building all season. There were a few times he was a bit animated and overly emotional during a game. I even remember once McDermott having to hug Diggs during a game and calm him down. 

That all led to the playoffs, which saw him freak out again on the sideline. Which then led to him trying to leave the locker room before the coaches even came back in after the game. 

I personally feel like the Bills and Josh were doing their best to coddle him. And it took an emotional toll on not only Allen but the entire organization. That Bengal Playoff loss to me was the straw that broke the camels back.

I liked Diggs. Still do to an extent. But I've been around people like that before. Those that it's never anything huge...but there's always something surrounding them. It gets to be too much. I think the offense being able to naturally evolve without him is a net positive. I think him getting out is good for him, too. Sometimes change is needed. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You really think he isn’t helping Collins? Johnson wasn’t shadowing Collins. You know football better than that. He also does already have 2 tds. And I would bet on the Bears having a top 10 defense. 

do I think Diggs is declining sure? Do I think Diggs helped Shakir get open last year? Yes.  Do I think Brady’s offense might not be received friendly? Starting to look that way. Do I think the Bills are going to miss a drama free (and that’s the problem) Diggs this year? Absolutely. 

I mean…. Are we really reaching for Diggs’ value as a decoy to justify his worth?  Collins production is relatively close to what he averaged last season.  

The problem is you can’t take the drama out of Diggs.  That’s why he’s not in Buffalo.  If Diggs was drama-free team player, he probably still be on the roster this season.  

15 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You realize Collins had 1300 yards and 8 TD's last (while missing 2 games too) without Diggs right?  And his 2nd best WR Tank Dell also missed 6 games.  

So no, I do not at all think Nico's success has anything to do with Diggs or anyone else on the field.  To suggest otherwise is a complete disregard for Nico's abilities as a player that he established himself before Diggs got there.

15 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yet Shakir is open as much if not more this year than he was last year.  Shakir has caught 100% of his targets for 28 straight targets as well.  That doesn't happen if you are not open.  He has not needed Diggs to get open this year, in fact, he doesn't have a TD if Diggs is one of the WR's in on his TD play because he wasn't going to lay the blocks down that Hollins and Coleman did to make that TD possible.

I said all offseason...the most over exaggerated thing that kept going around here was this notion that without Diggs drawing extra attention no one else can get open.  One, that concept is greatly over exaggerated by fans in general, and two, the notion that no one on the team would garner extra attention this year was a silly premise to begin with.  Teams must account for Allen as a runner, pocket passers, and someone extending plays...that is monumentally more impactful than any one WR garnering extra attention.  Plus, guys like Kincaid (as we have seen early) still will and also you will need to cheat attention at Keon on his size alone.  All of these things we have seen happen in the first 2 weeks too.

Do I think Diggs is trash...no...but I do think there are a lot of myths around his value of just being on the field. 

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I felt like everything shifted after the Bengals playoff loss.

It had kind of been building all season. There were a few times he was a bit animated and overly emotional during a game. I even remember once McDermott having to hug Diggs during a game and calm him down. 

That all led to the playoffs, which saw him freak out again on the sideline. Which then led to him trying to leave the locker room before the coaches even came back in after the game. 

I personally feel like the Bills and Josh were doing their best to coddle him. And it took an emotional toll on not only Allen but the entire organization. That Bengal Playoff loss to me was the straw that broke the camels back.

I liked Diggs. Still do to an extent. But I've been around people like that before. Those that it's never anything huge...but there's always something surrounding them. It gets to be too much. I think the offense being able to naturally evolve without him is a net positive. I think him getting out is good for him, too. Sometimes change is needed. 

Oh yeah… that was the famous Detroit thanksgiving game which saw him score a TD and catch one of Josh’s best passes. Good times!  

But think the Cincinnati game was the eruption and something had been going on earlier that season.  Like I shared before, Diggs always did those midweek press conferences and for some reason they stopped making him available for weeks.  I think this was around the time of the Detroit game. 

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You realize Collins had 1300 yards and 8 TD's last (while missing 2 games too) without Diggs right?  And his 2nd best WR Tank Dell also missed 6 games.  

So no, I do not at all think Nico's success has anything to do with Diggs or anyone else on the field.  To suggest otherwise is a complete disregard for Nico's abilities as a player that he established himself before Diggs got there.

Yet Shakir is open as much if not more this year than he was last year.  Shakir has caught 100% of his targets for 28 straight targets as well.  That doesn't happen if you are not open.  He has not needed Diggs to get open this year, in fact, he doesn't have a TD if Diggs is one of the WR's in on his TD play because he wasn't going to lay the blocks down that Hollins and Coleman did to make that TD possible.

I said all offseason...the most over exaggerated thing that kept going around here was this notion that without Diggs drawing extra attention no one else can get open.  One, that concept is greatly over exaggerated by fans in general, and two, the notion that no one on the team would garner extra attention this year was a silly premise to begin with.  Teams must account for Allen as a runner, pocket passers, and someone extending plays...that is the monumentally more impactful than any one WR garnering extra attention.  Plus, guys like Kincaid (as we have seen early) still will and also you will need to cheat attention at Keon on his size alone.  All of these things we have seen happen in the first 2 weeks too.

Do I think Diggs is trash...no...but I do think there are a lot of myths around his value of just being on the field. 

Collins had 400 yards his rookie year. So last years breakout took teams off guard. This year, he was a known commodity. Why do you think Houston gave up a 2nd for a guy on a one year deal? They think it’s important to have another impact guy to help out the offense. 

honest question. Do you think the Bills are a better offense without Diggs (drama free because that’s why he was traded)? Save the two games against one of the worst defenses in the nfl last year (Arizona). I know our chemistry is better but I’m actually football, are they a better offense? WRs can have big impacts without monster stats (Julio Jones averaged 6 tds/ season) because they free up other guys. 

Diggs definitely didn’t have that mentality here but he may fake it in Houston for a year. Even if he isn’t prime Diggs, he makes them better. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mango said:

Slightly related, for all the hype Houston is getting, it’s crazy to me they couldn’t put away that Chicago team. That is one of the worst QB, OL, Play calling combos in the league this year and they still had a chance at the very end. 

As of right now Houston looks to be one of the “pretty good” but not great teams.*

* It’s still very early in the season and Stroud is still just a baby in this league. A lot can change. 

I just finished the game.  They don’t scare me.  Stroud can really hurt you when he breaks contain, and Nico Collins is a beast.   But they couldn’t put away a team with absolutely inept quarterbacking.  Let’s see how things play out this year, but right now I’m of the mind that they should worry more about us than us about them. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I dont think his lack of involvement had anything to do with a plan to de-emphasize him because he was 30.  No one knows the full truth, he wanted out and it was not sudden, there were signs all along.  The Bills kept giving him new deals when he had multiple years left....that is unusual.  My opinion is he never liked Buffalo, he does not fit well with the culture of the region and wanted to get to Dallas.  THis year is just a step to that goal.

I think you’re on to something here.

• Like (+1) 1