Diggs' Drama

Simon

10 hours ago, Beck Water said:

My dear.  For 33 yards.  While his teammate Nico Collins racked up 8 targets, 6 catches, 117 yards

Then tonight, 6 targets, 4 catches, 37 yards.  While his teammate Nico Collins racked up 10 targets, 8 receptions, 135 yards and a game ball.

Can Diggs play?  Sure he can.  Is he the same player as of 2 years ago when he was averaging 7 receptions a game for 89 yds a game? 

All I can say is through the first 2 games, that's not how the Texans are using him. 

If you didn't read the GQ article linked above (and who could blame you?) some quotes:

So he's salty about the last 7 games in B'lo under Brady, when his usage dropped from an average of 10 targets and 87 ypg under Dorsey, to an average of 8 targets and 45 ypg.

Can you do the math on how long he'll be happy if he keeps averaging 5 receptions 35 ypg?  At that rate he'd have to play this season and 6 more for those 4,000 yds.

Again, Diggs can still play - he had two receptions that were such special plays he drew Eberflaus into burning his challenges on them.  He also had a play where he shucked where Stroud expected him to jive.  And Collins looked like Truth out there, no reason to cut his target share.

Collins is an absolute beast…reminds me of prime Julio Jones.

1 hour ago, MR8 said:

I mean you can pretend he's not good all you want because you're jilted, doesn't make it so. 

EOTD, he wanted out and demanded a trade.  Bills gave him the right to seek one.  That means Diggs' agent talked to Houston in Houston said that they would trade for him under all of these conditions and that contract change was already worked out. You can say Houston wanted to change his deal because they weren't believers or whatever, but I don't buy it.  Takes 2 to tango...

They wanted him, they were willing in principle on compensation, but IMO diggs wanted the 1 year deal (with more money), and an out so he can pick his spot in 2025, likely with his brother in Dallas, who has been talking about them playing together for years.  Getting this trade done got him to a new team, I got him yet another fresh start, and more importantly for him it got into the end of his contract so he can leave whenever he wants. I mean he clearly knows what the market was for him in a trade, not a lot of teams were going to give up draft picks to get him with his big contract. This solved all issues 

Houston giving up a 2 for a rental is risky, so they are all in for this year, but don't confuse wanting to win and thinking a guy is washed up.  I think he wanted out of the big contract he was in in Buffalo, he 

I mean the bills getting a 2nd was looked at as under compensation initially, and once the restructure came out, it was looked at differently because of the lack of control by Houston... It looks bad on them. You don't give up a 2nd and go out and look bad in a trade for a guy you think isn't good. 

When did I say he’s “not good?”  You’re kind of twisting my words. In a previous post I stated that he doesn’t have the same ability as he had been in the past which is hard to argue.  

I also don’t buy your argument regarding his contract.  Diggs is on pace to have the lowest production since his rookie season.  Do you honestly think that’s going to give him leverage on the open market?   

If he went into this thinking he’d get a massive contract at 31 while catching 4 passes for 36 yards per game, he’s in for some fun.  

Also explain how was the 2nd round draft pick considered “under” compensation? 

You seem to think he’s still an All-Pro when just about every metric, including his production this season, proves otherwise.

Leave the memories alone

41 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Diggs has the job he should have at this point in his career, he's the 2nd or 3rd option.  When guys get into their 30s and start slowing down that's what should happen.  If his ego had allowed him to accept that in Buffalo he'd still be here.

100% agreed.  Though there’s some in here who are under the delusion that he’s 2021 Stefon Diggs

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Diggs has the job he should have at this point in his career, he's the 2nd or 3rd option.  When guys get into their 30s and start slowing down that's what should happen.  If his ego had allowed him to accept that in Buffalo he'd still be here.

I’ll add on that he isn’t a great jump ball ,contested catch, or speed receiver either. It isn’t like as he loses a quarter step here and there and he can still be quicker, bigger, stronger. 

47 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I dont think that has anything to do with why he is not here.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

I’ll add on that he isn’t a great jump ball ,contested catch, or speed receiver either. It isn’t like as he loses a quarter step here and there and he can still be quicker, bigger, stronger. 

His strength, which is route running is still good - that’s why he makes sense as a second or third option these days.  

But early in his career with the Bills he was very good at both contested catches and getting open deep.  He was noticeably worse in both areas last season.  

3 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I dont think that has anything to do with why he is not here.

You don’t think his lack of involvement had anything to do with his unhappiness?

3 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

His strength, which is route running is still good - that’s why he makes sense as a second or third option these days.  

But early in his career with the Bills he was very good at both contested catches and getting open deep.  He was noticeably worse in both areas last season.  

You don’t think his lack of involvement had anything to do with his unhappiness?

When I said good I meant elite, which he’s never had elite, size, speed, or strength compared to guys who do have one of those trait.

Diggs is a crisp route runner. I agree he’s a good secondary option at this point in his career.

My point is that he can’t afford to lose speed like Tyreek can because even an 85% TH is faster than most WR’s. And it’s not like he’s Devante Adams and can just out jump/muscle you for the ball. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I dont think his lack of involvement had anything to do with a plan to de-emphasize him because he was 30.  No one knows the full truth, he wanted out and it was not sudden, there were signs all along.  The Bills kept giving him new deals when he had multiple years left....that is unusual.  My opinion is he never liked Buffalo, he does not fit well with the culture of the region and wanted to get to Dallas.  THis year is just a step to that goal.

• Like (+1) 2

Slightly related, for all the hype Houston is getting, it’s crazy to me they couldn’t put away that Chicago team. That is one of the worst QB, OL, Play calling combos in the league this year and they still had a chance at the very end. 

As of right now Houston looks to be one of the “pretty good” but not great teams.*

* It’s still very early in the season and Stroud is still just a baby in this league. A lot can change. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

My feeling is that in 10 - 15 years, Diggs is going to wake up one morning and realize he could have accomplished so much more, his immaturity and ego got in the way! That’s sad! 

15 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I dont think his lack of involvement had anything to do with a plan to de-emphasize him because he was 30.  No one knows the full truth, he wanted out and it was not sudden, there were signs all along.  The Bills kept giving him new deals when he had multiple years left....that is unusual.  My opinion is he never liked Buffalo, he does not fit well with the culture of the region and wanted to get to Dallas.  THis year is just a step to that goal.

Something happened during the offensive slump in the 2022 season.  Things between the Bills and Diggs were the same again  

9 minutes ago, amprov56 said:

My feeling is that in 10 - 15 years, Diggs is going to wake up one morning and realize he could have accomplished so much more, his immaturity and ego got in the way! That’s sad! 

I feel the vibes around Diggs are very negative from the fan base and vice versa.  

In 10 years (probably more like 5) or so I believe both sides will fully appreciate what each did for the other 

2 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Something happened during the offensive slump in the 2022 season.  Things between the Bills and Diggs were the same again  

I feel the vibes around Diggs are very negative from the fan base and vice versa.  

In 10 years (probably more like 5) or so I believe both sides will fully appreciate what each did for the other 

Fan vibes soured due to his sideline behavior and over all attitude. Check out 65 years of Bills history, fans have tolerated some characters over the years!

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, amprov56 said:

Fan vibes soured due to his sideline behavior and over all attitude. Check out 65 years of Bills history, fans have tolerated some characters over the years!

True but there are some players who trashed the organization on the way out and came back into the fold years later with a different attitude.

Thurman Thomas and Ruben Brown immediately come to mind 

3 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

True but there are some players who trashed the organization on the way out and came back into the fold years later with a different attitude.

Thurman Thomas and Ruben Brown immediately come to mind 

Totally different circumstances, fans supported both due to the way they were treated, never any fan animosity even towards Thurman going to the Dolphins.

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

When did I say he’s “not good?”  You’re kind of twisting my words. In a previous post I stated that he doesn’t have the same ability as he had been in the past which is hard to argue.  

I also don’t buy your argument regarding his contract.  Diggs is on pace to have the lowest production since his rookie season.  Do you honestly think that’s going to give him leverage on the open market?   

If he went into this thinking he’d get a massive contract at 31 while catching 4 passes for 36 yards per game, he’s in for some fun.  

Also explain how was the 2nd round draft pick considered “under” compensation? 

You seem to think he’s still an All-Pro when just about every metric, including his production this season, proves otherwise.

Leave the memories alone

100% agreed.  Though there’s some in here who are under the delusion that he’s 2021 Stefon Diggs

I truly think Diggs thought he would come in and grab a ton of catches as wr2 with collins drawing all the defensive attention but it doesn’t seem to be playing out that way at all.

i don’t think he has it to even reliably shake single coverage by a decent slot corner/cb2 anymore. He doesn’t even look like a top wr2 to me 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan