Diggs' Drama

Simon

On 9/13/2024 at 2:51 PM, Beck Water said:

I don't think Brady de-prioritized Diggs per se.  Diggs was still averaging 8 targets per game.  But he was being used more on short passes, from the backfield and behind the LOS where he had to earn yards by YAC.

What I think Brady did, was take a deep look at the Cold Hard Football Facts.  And that led him to conclude that Diggs simply wasn't winning on those deeper routes, leading to Josh either trying to force him the ball or throwing incompletions.  So he tried to put Diggs into a position to be more successful with shorter routes. 

The other thing I think Brady did, is say (and I think he was correct) "we can not win without a run game because of how teams have adjusted their defensive coverage to us.  So by God, we will have a run gane and if it works, we'll keep using it until they prove they can stop it".  That wasn't de-prioritizing Diggs per se, but it was effectively de-prioritizing the passing game.  And the results spoke for themselves.

Edit to add:

Diggs first game with the Texans, he had 6 receptions on 6 targets - for 33 yards.  
Nico Collins had 6 receptions on 8 targets - for 117 yds.  This was "business as usual" for Collins who averaged 8 targets and 92 YPG in the 14 games where he wasn't injured or inactive last season.

And, the Texans offense had 40 rush attempts to 32 pass attempts.

Bobby Slowik, of course, became Texans OC after 4 yrs w/ the 49ers, one of the NFL teams that runs more than 50% of the time.

Gonna be interesting to watch from a distance, very interesting.  I think Diggs fully intends to be a fantastic teammate and on his very best behavior - but is that gonna last if he's being utilized in a way that keeps him under 50 YPG?

Weirdly, Brady reminds me of a pinball player I knew 40+ years ago.   

I can't sing, dance, carry or tune, or much of anything else actually.  I'm a man of remarkably few talents.  But in college I took to pinball like a duck takes to water.  Pinball was a big thing back then and I set the campus records on several of the most popular machines.  Bring on that deaf, dumb, and blind kid - I was the real wizard!

But then one day, I saw a small crowd around a new player and instantly disliked him.  This was the late 1970's and the kid dressed like John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever.  I dressed in jeans and a t-shirt.  He played with a cigarette dangling from his lips.  I was an avowed anti-smoker.  He probably went disco dancing at night with girls crowded around him (besides being stylish - in a way I detested - he was good looking).  I spent my nights alone in my room listening to flannel-shirt wearing Rory Gallagher play bluesy rock.   We were opposites.  

But one by one, the freaking Disco King started breaking my records.   When I watched him play, I couldn't figure out how.  His slap-save was pretty good but he didn't even try to execute the fancy passes or combination back-handed shots I did.   When we started playing together, he beat me 7 or 8 times out of 10 despite having no discernible skills besides keeping the ball in play.  

Finally, irked, I asked what his secret was.  He expained that I had no rhythm.  My play style was stop-and-go as I set up shots.  While he didn't have my fancy shots, there was a rhythm to what he did that wasn't discernible to me at first.  I couldn't compete with him until I learned that.  When I finally did, it was like I was finally seeing & understanding something that had been entirely invisible to me before.

And that's what I think about Brady's offense.  We may not see a lot of explosive plays.  We may not see lots of long passes.  We may not see a lot of fancy Daboll stuff.   But there's a rhythm to Brady's that includes few turnovers, good time-of-possession, some boring cloud of dust stuff, and - for all its dullness - points on the board.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I can't sing, dance, carry or tune, or much of anything else actually.  I'm a man of remarkably few talents.  But in college I took to pinball like a duck takes to water.  Pinball was a big thing back then and I set the campus records on several of the most popular machines.  Bring on that deaf, dumb, and blind kid - I was the real wizard!

But then one day, I saw a small crowd around a new player and instantly disliked him.  This was the late 1970's and the kid dressed like John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever.  I dressed in jeans and a t-shirt.  He played with a cigarette dangling from his lips.  I was an avowed anti-smoker.  He probably went disco dancing at night with girls crowded around him (besides being stylish - in a way I detested - he was good looking).  I spent my nights alone in my room listening to flannel-shirt wearing Rory Gallagher play bluesy rock.   We were opposites.  

But one by one, the freaking Disco King starting breaking my records.   When I watched him play, I couldn't figure out how.  His slap-save was pretty good but he didn't even try to execute the fancy passes or combination back-handed shots I did.   When we started playing together, he beat me 7 or 8 times out of 10 despite having no discernible skills besides keeping the ball in play.  

Finally, irked, I asked what his secret was.  He expained that I had no rhythm.  My play style was stop-and-go as I set up shots.  While he didn't have my fancy shots, there was a rhythm to what he did that wasn't discernible to me at first.  I couldn't compete with him until I learned that.  When I finally did, it was like I was finally seeing & understanding something that had been entirely invisible to me before.

And that's what I think about Brady's offense.  We may not see a lot of explosive plays.  We may not see lots of long passes.  We may not see a lot of fancy Daboll stuff.   But there's a rhythm to Brady's that includes few turnovers, good time-of-possession, some boring cloud of dust stuff, and - for all its dullness - points on the board.  

What a great story. By chance was the guy who beat you blind and named Tommy? (Side note, if you're ever in Vegas you need to visit the pinball hall of Fame! Incredible place for pinball fans)

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BruceVilanch said:

What a great story. By chance was the guy who beat you blind and named Tommy? (Side note, if you're ever in Vegas you need to visit the pinball hall of Fame! Incredible place for pinball fans)

Thanks for the recommendation!  I haven't played pinball since college so my skills will be sadly primitive.  But it would still be cool to see the old machines in Vegas and reminisce.  

In San Francisco, there's a place called Musée Mécanique that has hundreds of antique coin-operated machines, some dating back to the 1800s.  On the newer end, they have some of the old pinball machines I used to play.  Great place on the waterfront to take the family.

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

But one by one, the freaking Disco King starting breaking my records.   When I watched him play, I couldn't figure out how.  His slap-save was pretty good but he didn't even try to execute the fancy passes or combination back-handed shots I did.   When we started playing together, he beat me 7 or 8 times out of 10 despite having no discernible skills besides keeping the ball in play.  

Just win!

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/9/2024 at 2:14 PM, Billl said:

6 targets, 6 catches, 2 TDs.  There’s no proof of anything, but the early returns are pretty solidly in the “Diggs can play” column.

My dear.  For 33 yards.  While his teammate Nico Collins racked up 8 targets, 6 catches, 117 yards

Then tonight, 6 targets, 4 catches, 37 yards.  While his teammate Nico Collins racked up 10 targets, 8 receptions, 135 yards and a game ball.

Can Diggs play?  Sure he can.  Is he the same player as of 2 years ago when he was averaging 7 receptions a game for 89 yds a game? 

All I can say is through the first 2 games, that's not how the Texans are using him. 

If you didn't read the GQ article linked above (and who could blame you?) some quotes:

he’s done the math to know that he needs about 4,000 more to move into Hall of Fame territory. “I pay real close attention,” he says. “This ***** is not a game to me.”

Later, when our conversation circles back to his time in Buffalo, he has more to say, specifically highlighting the fact his drop in stats coincided with the Bills’s decision to replace their offensive coordinator.

“The games looked a lot different,” he says. “You can blame me. I don’t mind blaming me. I got big-ass shoulders. But pay attention, pay real close attention. Watch the game. Of course there’s plenty of plays I want back. But there’s a lot of plays that didn’t go my way. I need a lot of things to go right to get the ball…. You can't roll out of bed and get 800 yards in the first eight games. Your best receiver’s doing that. You tell me about the last 10. What changed? Were there changes going on? I just pay attention to what really happened and not what people try to act like happened. Like, for the last 10 games, I forgot how to ***** play football?”

So he's salty about the last 7 games in B'lo under Brady, when his usage dropped from an average of 10 targets and 87 ypg under Dorsey, to an average of 8 targets and 45 ypg.

Can you do the math on how long he'll be happy if he keeps averaging 5 receptions 35 ypg?  At that rate he'd have to play this season and 6 more for those 4,000 yds.

Again, Diggs can still play - he had two receptions that were such special plays he drew Eberflaus into burning his challenges on them.  He also had a play where he shucked where Stroud expected him to jive.  And Collins looked like Truth out there, no reason to cut his target share.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I'm no longer feeling as hopeful about that 2nd round pick as I was earlier today.
Maybe it won't be as early as we hoped

Their division isn't very good. IMO the Jags were their only really obstacle and they look like they'll be a below average team this year.

4 hours ago, dma0034 said:

Their division isn't very good. IMO the Jags were their only really obstacle and they look like they'll be a below average team this year.

I believe that extra 2nd rnd pick actually comes from Minnesota, not Houston.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

On 9/13/2024 at 7:37 PM, hondo in seattle said:

. . . I just handed my pinball crown to him . . .

Thanks, Hondo; now this song will be running through my head all day long.

By the way, just go ahead and change your name now to Pinball Wizzard  🤩 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Beck Water said:

My dear.  For 33 yards.  While his teammate Nico Collins racked up 8 targets, 6 catches, 117 yards

Then tonight, 6 targets, 4 catches, 37 yards.  While his teammate Nico Collins racked up 10 targets, 8 receptions, 135 yards and a game ball.

Can Diggs play?  Sure he can.  Is he the same player as of 2 years ago when he was averaging 7 receptions a game for 89 yds a game? 

All I can say is through the first 2 games, that's not how the Texans are using him. 

If you didn't read the GQ article linked above (and who could blame you?) some quotes:

So he's salty about the last 7 games in B'lo under Brady, when his usage dropped from an average of 10 targets and 87 ypg under Dorsey, to an average of 8 targets and 45 ypg.

Can you do the math on how long he'll be happy if he keeps averaging 5 receptions 35 ypg?  At that rate he'd have to play this season and 6 more for those 4,000 yds.

Again, Diggs can still play - he had two receptions that were such special plays he drew Eberflaus into burning his challenges on them.  He also had a play where he shucked where Stroud expected him to jive.  And Collins looked like Truth out there, no reason to cut his target share.

I mean… are we actually arguing that soon-to-be 31 year-old Diggs is still “Him” but just isn’t being utilized in Buffalo and now Houston?  

Watching his performance in the AFC Divisional Game in January should have revealed that answer, but I digress.   

I remember seeing the charts from the guys who do the Reception Perception podcast, and it showed that Diggs’s vertical speed and his effectiveness in M2M coverage dropped last season.   So while his targets and opportunities dropped, so too did his effectiveness which is almost certain for WR’s on the wrong side of 30.  

Is Diggs still a “good” receiver?   Yes, I think he still is an elite route runner that is going to get separation.  This is an area of his game that hasn’t really declined.  But like we’ve seen over the past 12 games or so, it’s going to happen in the short-to-intermediate areas.  He’s not going to dominate games or single-handedly dictate coverage the way that he had between 2020-2023.   At this point, he’s best utilized as a second or third option in Houston - a role he wasn’t happy with in Buffalo.  

I also feel that Buffalo had every intention to keep Diggs for one more season in 2024 with Beane oddly placating his ego by calling him a “#1 WR” but then saying he was “grading on a curve” in the postseason which seemed to be a subtle nudge,  

The deal Houston gave them was good enough value to pull the trigger a year early, and rid them of a player who had worn on the team’s patience (also one who played his worst game in the most recent playoff loss.)

Speaking of that… if Diggs was still an elite WR why would Houston void the rest of his contract rendering him to a 1 year rent-a-player?   Seems like they had the same idea as Beane.  

All of this to say, I think people are fooling themselves if they still think Diggs is still the same player he was early in his Bills career and he’s just not getting the opportunities.   But he also isn’t completely washed as some fans want to imply based on his pedestrian stats recently.  

There’s a looooong season to go, but over the course of the first 2 games the Diggs deal seems to make more sense.   This could change.  We’ll see

Edited by JohnNord
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm not going to lie I kept waiting for this to trail off to the lyrics Pinball Wizard and now it's stuck in my head.

But I agree with the central premise. Brady operates with a simple principle I approve of: if something is consistently working, spam it until the defense adjusts to try to stop it. If James Cook is leaving their new free agent safety with his face in the first and you are up two scores why in heaven would you stop that?

But so many teams will do just that. They have players worried about their numbers or outthink themselves. He's got going to force feed a guy 8 balls a game if a defense is devoted to shutting you down. He will maybe do it once just to keep teams honest. I'm not just dumping on Diggs but an example of this was Shakir's tunnel screen. How many times did we watch Diggs take that play for 3-4 yards while Shakir busts something?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I think what Diggs gives them is a stand in if Nico gets dinged up as they go 'all-in' this year with Stroud on a rookie contract.

He can handle alot of targets still (and obviously that's what he wants) but they will continue to use him as a #2 until they have to.

And as others have said, he's probably off to another 1 year rental next year from another team. 

I want this to be the opening scene of an 80s movie I've yet to see

• Haha (+1) 1

A lot of great points in this thread on Diggs.  Dude was amazing for us, but a combination of play calling, his relationship with Josh, and his own declining skills ushered him out.

EOTD, he's talked about how he forced his way out, and that massive cap hit is evidence they'd have kept it rolling with him.  The #1 driver likely was Brady preaching the unselfish nature of his offense, which is the opposite of Diggs.  Brady, as was mentioned before, wants to run what works. What's more, they want to go to the open guy .... Any open guy.  Not a guy who's "open even when he's covered" to quite Doug Whaley, he wants to sceme plays and actually use all the options based on the defense they play.  Diggs wasn't having that. 

But this offense would've driven Diggs nuts for an entire additional season.  I mean look at Kincaid getting double, triple, and quadruple teams in week 1, and Allen just looking elsewhere like it was nothing.  That's a luxury Allen and Brady now have, no egos to scream in their faces on the sidelines because they didn't get the ball.  Just a team of dudes doing their job and happy to be winning.

Winning was good enough for Diggs at first, but no SB and declining usage was a bridge too far. 

All that said, Diggs is still a great WR.  He's not what he was, but he's damn good. 

1 minute ago, MR8 said:

A lot of great points in this thread on Diggs.  Dude was amazing for us, but a combination of play calling, his relationship with Josh, and his own declining skills ushered him out.

EOTD, he's talked about how he forced his way out, and that massive cap hit is evidence they'd have kept it rolling with him.  The #1 driver likely was Brady preaching the unselfish nature of his offense, which is the opposite of Diggs.  Brady, as was mentioned before, wants to run what works. What's more, they want to go to the open guy .... Any open guy.  Not a guy who's "open even when he's covered" to quite Doug Whaley, he wants to sceme plays and actually use all the options based on the defense they play.  Diggs wasn't having that. 

But this offense would've driven Diggs nuts for an entire additional season.  I mean look at Kincaid getting double, triple, and quadruple teams in week 1, and Allen just looking elsewhere like it was nothing.  That's a luxury Allen and Brady now have, no egos to scream in their faces on the sidelines because they didn't get the ball.  Just a team of dudes doing their job and happy to be winning.

Winning was good enough for Diggs at first, but no SB and declining usage was a bridge too far. 

All that said, Diggs is still a great WR.  He's not what he was, but he's damn good. 

What really forced Diggs was that Houston was willing to trade a 2nd rounder for a 31 year-old WR with diminishing skills.  They proceeded to void the final years of his contract rendering Diggs a one-year rental.

Sounds like a logical move for a “damn good” WR.

Just now, JohnNord said:

What really forced Diggs was that Houston was willing to trade a 2nd rounder for a 31 year-old WR with diminishing skills.  They proceeded to void the final years of his contract rendering Diggs a one-year rental.

Sounds like a logical move for a “damn good” WR.

I mean you can pretend he's not good all you want because you're jilted, doesn't make it so. 

EOTD, he wanted out and demanded a trade.  Bills gave him the right to seek one.  That means Diggs' agent talked to Houston in Houston said that they would trade for him under all of these conditions and that contract change was already worked out. You can say Houston wanted to change his deal because they weren't believers or whatever, but I don't buy it.  Takes 2 to tango...

They wanted him, they were willing in principle on compensation, but IMO diggs wanted the 1 year deal (with more money), and an out so he can pick his spot in 2025, likely with his brother in Dallas, who has been talking about them playing together for years.  Getting this trade done got him to a new team, I got him yet another fresh start, and more importantly for him it got into the end of his contract so he can leave whenever he wants. I mean he clearly knows what the market was for him in a trade, not a lot of teams were going to give up draft picks to get him with his big contract. This solved all issues 

Houston giving up a 2 for a rental is risky, so they are all in for this year, but don't confuse wanting to win and thinking a guy is washed up.  I think he wanted out of the big contract he was in in Buffalo, he 

I mean the bills getting a 2nd was looked at as under compensation initially, and once the restructure came out, it was looked at differently because of the lack of control by Houston... It looks bad on them. You don't give up a 2nd and go out and look bad in a trade for a guy you think isn't good. 

• Disagree 1