Diggs' Drama

Simon

5 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Andre Reed was great but Diggs is a better WR. Andre never even had back to back 1000 yard seasons. I know different era.

You can even make an argument Moulds was better than both of them but just had terrible QBs. Could you imagine Moulds with Allen???

The lack of back-to-back 1000 yard seasons is an interesting quirk, more indicative of the era and make-up of the team than lack of accomplishment or talent. 

Another interesting Reed fact: he led the league one time (and one time only) in each of the following categories: yards, catches, yards per catch, and TD's yet none of those league leading performances occurred in the same season. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

The lack of back-to-back 1000 yard seasons is an interesting quirk, more indicative of the era and make-up of the team than lack of accomplishment or talent. 

Another interesting Reed fact: he led the league one time (and one time only) in each of the following categories: yards, catches, yards per catch, and TD's yet none of those league leading performances occurred in the same season. 

Seeing your screen name reminded me of Bob Chandler, I would put him up against Diggs too. The more I think about it, Diggs was an above average WR, nothing more! 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

This is 2024.  Your aunt can have ***** and still be your aunt.

You got me!!!!

1 hour ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

The guy was a stud and reliable, if he carried on with sideline antics most who can’t comprehend his greatness would love him

18 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I have said this for years and I’ll stay true to myself. Diggs was the best WR the Bills ever had. Yes, I know who that “ slights” Still, his time here has come and gone. I’ll forever be grateful for the run he was apart of. I truly loved having him here and I have no ill will towards him. Right wrong or indifferent, the exit left a bad taste in a lot of people’s mouths. I get that. But, It’s over now. There are guys here that are very easy to root for and it’s completely ok to just let this Diggs stuff go. Sunday was good. Let’s just root on the Bills and not waste a second worrying about the guys who are no longer apart of this.

8 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Andre Reed was great but Diggs is a better WR. Andre never even had back to back 1000 yard seasons. I know different era.

You can even make an argument Moulds was better than both of them but just had terrible QBs. Could you imagine Moulds with Allen???

Using back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons seems like a very selective bar to set. First of all, it was a different era with a lot less passing and when CBs could still maul receivers and light them up over the middle of the field (where Reed made his bread and butter). Secondly, Reed did have four 1,000 yard seasons. They just weren't consecutive. I mean Stevie Johnson had 3 back-to-back 1,000 yard seasons. Does that mean he is better than Reed too? And it's not like the drop off was severe on the seasons when Reed didn't have 1,000 yards. He was only 174 yards total away from having 5 consecutive 1,000-yard seasons. Or from 1989-1996 (minus 1995 when he was injured) he averaged 1,056 yards and 7 TDs per season. So, he didn't have back-to-back 1,000 yard seasons, but he did average over 1,000 yards per season for 9 years, and back in the old days.

First 10 years in the league:

Andre Reed 9,536 yards and 66 TDs

Stefon Diggs 10,028 yards and 69 TDs

So, Stef averaged less than 50 yards per season more than Reed...or 3 yards per game more over their first 10 years...and again factor in the eras they played in and that the 90s teams had a lot more weapons to spread the ball around to---Thurman, Lofton, etc. 

Reed made the Pro Bowl in 7 consecutive seasons. Stefon has 4 consecutive Pro Bowls (all while with the Bills)---and he probably didn't really deserve the nod for last season. They both have two All-Pro seasons. Reed is a HOFer and a Wall of Famer. Diggs may possibly make the HOF...but I doubt that he'll ever make the Wall of Fame. Plus, it's hard to say a guy who played four seasons is a better Bills receiver than a guy who played 15 years for the team and was every bit as good or better for most of that time.

I am not going to assume that you were too young to actually watch Reed. But some people forget or don't know that for 3 or 4 years (88-91) Reed was the only other receiver in the conversation with Jerry Rice for best WR in the league (for those years as they were happening, not overall career). I think people forget just how good Andre was.

Anyhow, I don't mean to pile on. I understand where you are coming from with Diggs. I loved watching Diggs play and I'm glad that he was a Bill, even if it didn't end well. Those first couple of years with Josh and Stef were hell'a fun and will always be remembered.

And I'm not a fan who hates on every player that leaves Buffalo. But I do hold a little grudge for guys who quit on the team in some way (Gilmore, Dareus, Phillips, Byrd, etc). And Stefon, for all the good he did here, caused problems and ultimately quit on the team. I still acknowledge that he is a great receiver (one of the best we've had), and I won't root against him, but no way does he surpass Reed in any avenue or reference to Bills WRs.

P.S. Ethan...the Moulds question is an interesting one. Over a 7-year period, he averaged 1,100 yards and 6 TDs with the Bills (with his QBs being Flutie, Johnson, Van Pelt, and Bledsoe). I think I would have to put him ahead of Diggs as well (as far as best Bills WRs). Lee Evans is the only other Bills receiver (besides Reed and Moulds) with more yards as a Bill than Diggs. But Lee was never in the class of the other three. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, folz said:

Using back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons seems like a very selective bar to set. First of all, it was a different era with a lot less passing and when CBs could still maul receivers and light them up over the middle of the field (where Reed made his bread and butter). Secondly, Reed did have four 1,000 yard seasons. They just weren't consecutive. I mean Stevie Johnson had 3 back-to-back 1,000 yard seasons. Does that mean he is better than Reed too? And it's not like the drop off was severe on the seasons when Reed didn't have 1,000 yards. He was only 174 yards total away from having 5 consecutive 1,000-yard seasons. Or from 1989-1996 (minus 1995 when he was injured) he averaged 1,056 yards and 7 TDs per season. So, he didn't have back-to-back 1,000 yard seasons, but he did average over 1,000 yards per season for 9 years, and back in the old days.

So, Stef averaged less than 50 yards per season more than Reed...or 3 yards per game more over their first 10 years...and again factor in the eras they played in and that the 90s teams had a lot more weapons to spread the ball around to---Thurman, Lofton, etc. 

Reed made the Pro Bowl in 7 consecutive seasons. Stefon has 4 consecutive Pro Bowls (all while with the Bills)---and he probably didn't really deserve the nod for last season. They both have two All-Pro seasons. Reed is a HOFer and a Wall of Famer. Diggs may possibly make the HOF...but I doubt that he'll ever make the Wall of Fame. Plus, it's hard to say a guy who played four seasons is a better Bills receiver than a guy who played 15 years for the team and was every bit as good or better for most of that time.

I am not going to assume that you were too young to actually watch Reed. But some people forget or don't know that for 3 or 4 years (88-91) Reed was the only other receiver in the conversation with Jerry Rice for best WR in the league (for those years as they were happening, not overall career). I think people forget just how good Andre was.

Anyhow, I don't mean to pile on. I understand where you are coming from with Diggs. I loved watching Diggs play and I'm glad that he was a Bill, even if it didn't end well. Those first couple of years with Josh and Stef were hell'a fun and will always be remembered.

And I'm not a fan who hates on every player that leaves Buffalo. But I do hold a little grudge for guys who quit on the team in some way (Gilmore, Dareus, Phillips, Byrd, etc). And Stefon, for all the good he did here, caused problems and ultimately quit on the team. I still acknowledge that he is a great receiver (one of the best we've had), and I won't root against him, but no way does he surpass Reed in any avenue or reference to Bills WRs.

P.S. Ethan...the Moulds question is an interesting one. Over a 7-year period, he averaged 1,100 yards and 6 TDs with the Bills (with his QBs being Flutie, Johnson, Van Pelt, and Bledsoe). I think I would have to put him ahead of Diggs as well (as far as best Bills WRs). Lee Evans is the only other Bills receiver (besides Reed and Moulds) with more yards as a Bill than Diggs. But Lee was never in the class of the other three. 

Statistics are great and fans love them, bottom line Reed was a true Buffalo guy and performed in the clutch! You want statistics fine - many of you live by them - I want winners; Andre was a winner!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

24 minutes ago, folz said:

Statistics do not tell the whole story - Andre Reed HOF!

29 minutes ago, folz said:

Excellent post. Obviously when comparing these great football players you have to look at the stats in many different ways. The holdback for Reed would be his era but he made up for it with his longevity. Charles Johnson played far fewer seasons but no one would say Reed was better than Megatron. So you have to extrapolate a bit. What if Diggs played 4 more years with Allen? What if Moulds had a better QB?

My only quibble with your post is Rice was in a category all to himself with the second tier being a healthy converstion amongst Reed, Irvin, Brown, Rison, Clark, Monk, Sharpe, Carter, and several others. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I have said this for years and I’ll stay true to myself. Diggs was the best WR the Bills ever had. Yes, I know who that “ slights” Still, his time here has come and gone. I’ll forever be grateful for the run he was apart of. I truly loved having him here and I have no ill will towards him. Right wrong or indifferent, the exit left a bad taste in a lot of people’s mouths. I get that. But, It’s over now. There are guys here that are very easy to root for and it’s completely ok to just let this Diggs stuff go. Sunday was good. Let’s just root on the Bills and not waste a second worrying about the guys who are no longer apart of this.

Ahmad Rashad was a Bill.

And that WAS when Ralph was cheap.. he let him go because of money.

41 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Excellent post. Obviously when comparing these great football players you have to look at the stats in many different ways. The holdback for Reed would be his era but he made up for it with his longevity. Charles Johnson played far fewer seasons but no one would say Reed was better than Megatron. So you have to extrapolate a bit. What if Diggs played 4 more years with Allen? What if Moulds had a better QB?

My only quibble with your post is Rice was in a category all to himself with the second tier being a healthy converstion amongst Reed, Irvin, Brown, Rison, Clark, Monk, Sharpe, Carter, and several others. 

I agree but not Diggs! Sorry, know you all have emotions invested, he was good but not great!

JFC

Are there really people on here saying Diggs was better than Andre Reed?? ANDRE???

Scott - this is blasphemy, theses clowns need to be banned.

In no universe is Diggs better than Andre Reed as a Bills WR. NONE. I get that Diggs had the best 4 seasons as a receiver in Bills history but Andre was putting up 1000 yards seasons when he wasn’t the #1 weapon, Thurman was. Andre doesn’t drop that ball against KC either.

Andre played in an era where the safety could DESTROY the receiver. Ronnie Lot is probably responsible for more CTE in WRs than any NFL player and Andre made his living over the middle. CBs could absolutely MAUL WRs down the field. It was 10x harder to play WR back then. Teams were running the ball 50-60% of the time.

I’m sorry, I loved Diggs when he was here. I’m pissed he became a head case because he COULD have reached Andre Reed levels of reverence in Buffalo had he stayed but he didn’t give a sht about that. He could have been a Buffalo legend on the Wall with Bruce, Jim, Andre, etc. He didn’t care. 

To even suggest that he’s in the same league as Andre Reed is just flat out ludicrous and I can’t believe there’s anyone here that actually watched Andre through his career who would share that opinion.

Edited by RunTheBall
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

JFC

Are there really people on here saying Diggs was better than Andre Reed?? ANDRE???

In no universe is Diggs better than Andre Reed as a Bills WR. NONE. I get that Diggs had the best 4 seasons as a receiver in Bills history but Andre was putting up 1000 yards seasons when he wasn’t the #1 weapon, Thurman was. Andre doesn’t drop that ball against KC either.

Andre played in an era where the safety could DESTROY the receiver. Ronnie Lot is probably responsible for more CTE in WRs than any NFL player and Andre made his living over the middle. CBs could absolutely MAUL WRs down the field. It was 10x harder to play WR back then. Teams were running the ball 50-60% of the time.

I’m sorry, I loved Diggs when he was here. I’m pissed he became a head case because he COULD have reached Andre Reed levels of reverence in Buffalo had he stayed but he didn’t give a sht about that. He could have been a Buffalo legend on the Wall with Bruce, Jim, Andre, etc. He didn’t care. 

To even suggest that he’s in the same league as Andre Reed is just flat out ludicrous and I can’t believe there’s anyone here that actually watched Andre through his career who would share that opinion.

I think many didn't actually see Andre play and are just looking at his stats. Andre Reed playing in today's passing-heavy approach, under the current WR friendly rulesets, with Josh Allen throwing him the football would be absolutely insane. His numbers would probably look like Cooper Kupps' 2021 season when he flirted with 2K yds.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

My top 5 Bills receivers of all time (and I’ve seen them all):

1.  Andre Reed

2.  Jerry Butler

3.  Stephon Diggs

4.  Eric Moulds

5.  Bobby Chandler

I picked guys who spent a good amount of time in a Bills uni. Duby just misses out on this list.   Guys like Owen’s, Lofton or Rashad could be on here for career performance but to me weren’t here long enough for my list.

To me Andre has to be #1.  To me he basically invented the slot WR position. 

• Like (+1) 4

34 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

JFC

Agree with most of this. But there were quite a few pass happy teams as far back as 1990.

image.thumb.png.3c32c7d9ca43d2ceb32391bb10a346be.png

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Yeah, ok, maybe my memory was exaggerating a bit with 3-4 years...but I do remember conversations where Reed was being compared with Rice as the best in the league (in the national media---not just by Bills fans). Probably 1989/1990...in '89 Reed was 2nd in receptions and 5th in receiving yards, and then in 1990 the Bills unleashed the K-Gun offense and went to their first Super Bowl. Remember that offense was lighting up everyone and they got a ton of press for it. But there was also that game between Buffalo and San Fran at the start of the '92 season where Reed went 10 for 144 yards in a 34-31 epic (Rice was 3 for 26). So, maybe my memory is conflating a few things too.

Obviously, overall career-wise Rice is definitely in a league of his own. And looking back, yeah, no one was his equal in any season really. But, at that time...

As to the other guys you mentioned, Rison didn't come on until 1990, Irvin didn't have a big year until 1991, Brown and Carter didn't really break out until 1993, Monk was never really considered the best in the league despite good numbers, but he was also in a bit of a lull in his career in '87, '88, and '90---numbers-wise, Clark retired in '87 and hadn't had over 900 yards since 1982. So, as far as '88-'90 goes, Sharpe and Henry Ellard were the only other guys in the conversation really (with Rice and Reed). But Sharpe didn't make the playoffs until 1993, while Reed and Rice were going to Super Bowls. So, it probably wouldn't be too surprising if Reed got more hype because of the Bills post-seasons.

Now, yes, by say 1993-1994 when discussing best '90s wide receivers, there were a lot of guys in the convo and Reed was just one of the other guys behind Rice. But back to the Diggs talk, he's not in Rice's league either and when discussing best WRs of this era, Diggs will also be one of many top WRs, not the best. 

21 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

1.  Andre Reed

2.  Jerry Butler

3.  Stephon Diggs

4.  Eric Moulds

5.  Bobby Chandler

I picked guys who spent a good amount of time in a Bills uni. Duby just misses out on this list.   Guys like Owen’s, Lofton or Rashad could be on here for career performance but to me weren’t here long enough for my list.

16 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

1.  Andre Reed

2.  Jerry Butler

3.  Stephon Diggs

4.  Eric Moulds

5.  Bobby Chandler

I was old enough to have seen Frank Lewis, Jerry Butler, and Bobby Chandler play (well, the tail-end of Chandler's career).

But, I was curious if older fans who got to see him play would put Dubenion on the list. He's 5th on the Bills all-time receiving list (just 78 yards behind Diggs---though over 9 years as opposed to 4, but it was the 1960s...talk about a different era).

24 minutes ago, folz said:

I was old enough to have seen Frank Lewis, Jerry Butler, and Bobby Chandler play (well, the tail-end of Chandler's career).

But, I was curious if older fans who got to see him play would put Dubenion on the list. He's 5th on the Bills all-time receiving list (just 78 yards behind Diggs---though over 9 years as opposed to 4, but it was the 1960s...talk about a different era).

Duby just misses my top 5

12 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

What if JA had the 90's offensive line, Thurmon Thomas , Bruce Smith, Tally and Bennet on Defense - you know the saying about "if."

10 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Duby just misses my top 5

I agree, loved Duby too but not in the same league with Andre, Frank Lewis, Bob Chandler, Jerry Butler, put him number 5.

10 hours ago, Buffaloflash said:

Ain't no way, Diggs,  is supposed to be ahead of Eric Moulds. None!, Zip Zooda!!

My mistake, forgot about Moulds, he bumps out Duby for the 5 spot, 

I would like to put in a plug for Roscoe Parrish for a WR who could have been a really good one but along with his career ending injuries was a victim of poor management and coaching. I was always so sad to see him stuck with terrible QBs and then FINALLY when we get a better one he got injured twice and was never the same. We utterly WASTED his talent and Tre White's injuries reminded me of what happened to him.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan