Diggs' Drama

Simon

While all the details are not going to be available to us fans, it seems evident that the Diggs issues got worse and worse until it

had to be addressed.  Beane did that (to his credit).  BIG cap hit and a big hole was left.

We will start to see Sunday what becomes of it.  I have to be hopeful at the start of any season so I will look at the addition by subtraction rule

until it's proven otherwise.

31 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Maddy Glab vindicated?  Maybe the hot mic wasn't just joking around

I never had a doubt about what Maddy said. Not for one minute.

Having said that, I will give Stefon a pass for being a curmudgeon with the press. I think I would be also if I were a star athlete. Some people don't like the limelight, they aren't built for that. Not everyone can be as friendly as Josh Allen.

1 minute ago, boater said:

Having said that, I will give Stefon a pass for being a curmudgeon with the press. I think I would be also if I were a star athlete. Some people don't like the limelight, they aren't built for that. Not everyone can be as friendly as Josh Allen.

I am still struggling to this day to understand how what she said was even remotely controversial or bad.

1 minute ago, yall said:

I am still struggling to this day to understand how what she said was even remotely controversial or bad.

Yeah.

For a refresher, here is what she said: "There's no control over Stefon Diggs. Dude's gonna do what he wants to do. He'll look in my face and say, 'F you."

That isn't a terribly awful thing to say.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He already had 2 younger/better WRs on the roster.  Diggs is WR3 over there.

This speaks volumes to me about the Bills WR Roster top to bottom. He'd be no. 1 here and is currently 3rd on a team that wasn't even supposed to make the playoffs last year. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, boater said:

Yeah.

For a refresher, here is what she said: "There's no control over Stefon Diggs. Dude's gonna do what he wants to do. He'll look in my face and say, 'F you."

She was also responding to a guy telling her "go into the locker room and tell him "get your ass out there!".  She was giggling the whole time during this hypothetical exchange.  The whole thing was a joke.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, boater said:

Yeah.

The end of the quote that you left off was probably the most damning part, imo.

Beane thought he could buy Diggs' compliance. One of his biggest mistakes.

Money just makes makes you more of who you are.

I'm sure he'll be on his best behavior after getting his desired new start and being on a 1 year deal. No matter how he performs in Houston, it was tight to move on. He'd never replicate it here again and would would have just continued to be the rotten apple in the barrel, spoiling the bunch.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, boater said:

But it isn't that the man doesn't like the limelight.  He obviously loves it, when it features him and suits his purposes - when he's promoting a fashion brand, for example, as he was setting up to do during during the GQ interview and there have been others - Sports Illustrated Kids, a mag that promoted Black fashion, etc.

What he did was dodge the press when there might have been tough questions, like "why was your performance in this playoff game so shabby?" or "about that throw from Josh that looked as though it went through your hands..."

This doesn't have to do with friendliness, it has to do with accountability and responsibility, especially as a Captain.

I'm sure there are plenty times after a bad game when Josh would prefer to just run home and not meet with the press, but he does it, because he knows as the QB he's the face of the franchise and the leader of the team, and he has both accountability and responsibility.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Diggs' defenders may scoff, but I think this is pretty damning. Multiple teammates say they don't trust the guy with their sister and don't want to bring him home to their parents. I think that's a direct assessment of his character.

Then Maddy Glab (whom I don't really respect as a "reporter" though she seems like a very nice person) says what she said about Steph.

No, not every character attack is truthful but when there's this much smoke...

The "Teammate You'd Least Like to Date Your Sister" piece was filmed in 2017

TL;DR In 2017, Stefon Diggs allegedly got two women pregnant at the same time.  One had their child (his daughter).  The other said he forced her to abort the pregnancy, though it's not entirely clear what "force" was used.

I thought the piece was pretty obviously a setup, but there's a reason why Diggs was chosen as the target of the setup, and that's the reason.

2 hours ago, Simon said:

The end of the quote that you left off was probably the most damning part, imo.

"It's how he treats everybody"

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, yall said:

Diggs "camp" did not want him to be portrayed as uncontrollable or out of control (lowers his stock with potential other teams), as doing what he wants to do at the expense of team or captain responsibilities (ditto, also bad for his brand) or as saying "***** you" to a pretty blonde team employee (again, bad for his brand)

38 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Diggs "camp" did not want him to be portrayed as uncontrollable or out of control (lowers his stock with potential other teams), as doing what he wants to do at the expense of team or captain responsibilities (ditto, also bad for his brand) or as saying "***** you" to a pretty blonde team employee (again, bad for his brand)

Don't get me wrong; I get why some people were unhappy about it. But nothing she said warranted the reaction and certainly not the apology. It was pretty milquetoast as far as hot mics go.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

27 minutes ago, yall said:

Don't get me wrong; I get why some people were unhappy about it. But nothing she said warranted the reaction and certainly not the apology. It was pretty milquetoast as far as hot mics go.

I do agree with this.  Making Glab apologize for speaking what everyone working in the building on the media/PR side may have recognized as truth, seemed like  a "flex" by Diggs.  It was well known in the Bills press that Diggs was dodging his media availability (confirmed to me by someone at TBN)

I was just explaining why Diggs and his agent chose to "flex" about it.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, Fleezoid said:

This speaks volumes to me about the Bills WR Roster top to bottom. He'd be no. 1 here and is currently 3rd on a team that wasn't even supposed to make the playoffs last year. 

Don't ever doubt Beane's ability to flesh out the WR room!....he's still paying Diggs so perhaps he feels he's, you know, like Diggs is  still the Bills WR1?

• Eyeroll 1

19 hours ago, boater said:

Yeah.

Blowing off reporters isn't a justified reason to trade a player and go into a massive dead cap hit.

It's just sports. At the end of the day, it's not the most important thing in the world. But articles like this are why trust in the media is eroding. The curveball-like spin of that article get you this type of clickbait video claiming that Diggs is trying to "prove them wrong" for being traded when he asked to be traded. Not to mention he specifically said "“None of those teams [Minnesota or Buffalo] wanted to get rid of me. Things had to shake because I kind of wanted them to shake.”

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, uticaclub said:

Blowing off reporters isn't a justified reason to trade a player and go into a massive dead cap hit.

Getting rid of an aging troublemaker is, will never understand the emotional attachment, first Sammy Watkins and now Diggs. Sammy never went to Canton and neither will Diggs but I do believe in roughly ten years Diggs is going to think WTF did I do, I blew it!

3 hours ago, uticaclub said:

Oh ya, still waiting for Beane to get fired, the draft is over with!