Diggs' Drama

Simon

Just now, Bruffalo said:

I think this needs to be said more. Diggs wasn't only paid to be a number 1 WR for 17 weeks a year. The lack of post season production from our top wideout is one of the major reasons we kept getting booted from the playoffs (along with the defensive scheme not working against the best QBs). 

For all his naysaying he's more of a reason we haven't won against the Chiefs then Allen has ever been. 

The problem with Diggs is that he's not the kind of WR that is "always open" like a Jefferson or Chase. His elite skill is route running, which can be taken away by defenses. He's not running by DBs with elite speed or going up to get 50/50 balls. 

3 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Here is why I am pissed:

-I poopoo-ed the idea of Diggs being a diva from 2020 up until a month or two ago.

-I blamed Josh for not throwing it to Diggs and instead targeting Shakir in the last Chiefs game.

-I defended his level of play saying that even if he was dropping off it made more sense to add to his supporting cast 

-I was adamant that restructuring Diggs should be our way forward. I was willing to bet the farm he'd be here in 2024.

So when he leaves and takes a swipe at Bills fans on the way out and now reveals that he forced his way out because he was worried about his target share because he wants to hit HOF numbers?

Ok that gets to me

I'm going through the same things. It's never fun to have to admit that you were wrong, especially on the Internet where your previous strong opinions are public record.  I was very adamant that Diggs was untradable due to the dead cap hit. I still think I was right about that. In a vacuum, that's a contract that you don't trade and the Bills will pay the price of a down year. But after that article, I don't think that Beane had any choice. 

21 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I hate to be the bearer of "bad news" but being here in Houston I hear nothing bur praise for Diggs on his leadership and veteran experience, it is like he is another coach on the field, blah blah blah.. What many in Buffalo, esp the fans, treated as being a loud malcontent , in Houston he, so far, is respected as a vocal leader. 

Texans are brilliant, Diggs on a one year deal. He will "behave".  At first his constant screaming in Buffalo demonstrated supposedly how competitive he was but after a few years of his screaming it got real old, especially in the light on Josh Allen maturing and no longer  didn't need a safety blanket. It is now Josh's team and he has matured as the leader, no room left for Diggs in Buffalo.  A second year QB on a young team (Houston) could probably really use Diggs as we did in Buffalo until the end.

He already had 2 younger/better WRs on the roster.  Diggs is WR3 over there.

12 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

I'm going through the same things. It's never fun to have to admit that you were wrong, especially on the Internet where your previous strong opinions are public record.  I was very adamant that Diggs was untradable due to the dead cap hit. I still think I was right about that. In a vacuum, that's a contract that you don't trade and the Bills will pay the price of a down year. But after that article, I don't think that Beane had any choice. 

They could have always Marcus Allen’d his ass to the bench a la Al Davis, but then they wouldn’t have gotten the Vikes 2nd rounder next year. 

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

I'm not sure how to react to all that.  It really isn't anything we don't know.  I am rooting against the Texans, I guess.  

It sounds to me like Diggs was checked out on the Bills last year, according to his words.  Extremely selfish and might have tanked a potential Super Bowl. Him dropping that pass at the end of the KC game makes it more frustrating.  You wonder what could have been if he had been 100% committed to the Bills and winning.   

I expect him to be happy in Houston.   Say nice words, play catch with kids in the crowd.  Maybe even put up big numbers.  His UFA experience should be interesting either way.  I do think he has an expiration date no matter where he is.  It's just his personality.  He is kind of a jerk, hearing a few local people's opinions who have had to deal with him... but his personality is also a driver of his greatness on the field.

Had a lot of good times here with Diggs.  #4 All time in yards, receptions, and touchdowns.  Lots of team success.  

I expect him to be happy as a clam in Houston.  Up until the day that he isn't and forces his way to a 4th team.  Rinse, wash, repeat. 

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Funny though my recollection of that game was that while Allen wasn't at his best he wasn't close to being terrible.  In fact his only TO was a meaningless INT at the end of the game.  If a fight with his girl friend caused Allen not to have his best game then what did the defensive players go through the night before?  Their play was the primary reason the Bills lost that game.

And for the record who is Diggs to throw stones when he so often disappeared in playoff games and his last game in Buffalo against the Chiefs saw him flat out drop what would have been an 80 yard TD in the 4th quarter.

Yeah it was a total team loss, that much is for sure. 

Diggs isn't much different from most WR not named Kelce. Once the playoffs start you're playing the top 2-3 teams in the conference, and they are good enough to neutralize your #1 guy. 

That doesn't change the fact that Diggs creates drama everywhere he goes. That much is just a fact. 

I have nothing against Diggs; he was a warrior for us for several years and helped Josh develop into the great player he is today.  I have little doubt he will return to Buffalo at some point post-retirement and be welcomed back warmly.  He is certainly competitive, and we should always remember him going to the hospital to be with Damar and his family.   But if you look at his statement it seems clear his ego is pretty inflated, thinking both the Vikings and Bills wanted him but that he had to shake things up for his own benefit.  In that regard, he's really not that much different than many top caliber WRs ; the term diva is used for such players and seems to fit fairly well.  But I also recall the old phrase it ain't bragging if you can do it.  And for a long time Diggs did it.

But some things happened last year that called Diggs ability to do it into question.  I have said at several points this offseason that, if Josh had wanted Diggs to stay, he'd still be here.  I'm thinking Diggs quote about him shaking things up and not the Bills is kind of a defense mechanism.   I don't think there's any way Diggs gets traded and the team absorbing a big cap hit without Josh wanting it to happen, maybe some other locker room leaders as well.  It seems clear to me that Josh was the leader for this team (as any starting QB is by default) and Diggs' stye of leadership (yelling at guys and such) was not working.  If you claim to be a leader, but you look behind you and don't see anyone following, then are you a leader?  I suspect Diggs saw that and it was tough for him to handle.  Ultimately Josh has to be the guy on this team.  And trading Diggs confirms that.  The other issue was Diggs' play the latter half of the year.  Some of that was Brady's offense taking away the spotlight a bit, and I can understand a guy like Diggs getting ticked at that.  But the other is that it might be Diggs get was starting to catch up a bit.  Gregg Cosell, a guy I respect, indicated that last half of last season Diggs was not a #1 WR, that he was not commanding double teams anymore.  Again, was that on Brady, or on Diggs?  Maybe both.

So what happens this year?  We'll see.  For the Bills, they'll miss a guy like Diggs to a degree, more if it was the Diggs of his first few seasons, less if the guy the latter part of last year.  This year the offense will be more multidimensional, more runs, more play action, more pre-snap movement and such.  More Josh running the show and not having a specific guy that demands the ball.  for Diggs, he'll be with a young QB, but how many touches will he get when you have Collins and Dell also at WR and a decent TE in Schultz?  We'll see, and we'll see if Diggs can handle not being the main focus of an offense.  

Personally I would have liked to keep Diggs one more year, but from his quote it seems like he decided to force the issue.  At that point if you're Josh, if you're McD, if you're Beane, or if you're the rest of the team the answer is simple: see ya.  

1 hour ago, papazoid said:

the turning point in josh & diggs relationship started the night the cops "allegedly" came to josh's house the night before a playoff game.

josh wasn't at his best in that game.....diggs blamed him....

then the icy behavior going forward by diggs carried over to the following year traing camp... the team & josh  called diggs reasons a "non-football" related issue 

that infuriated diggs.... he was like...oh this sure the heck is football related...you let your personal life effect your football life.

then brittany was mysteriously and without explanation....gone

From what I understand the quotes are unnecessary.  Diggs had a point about focus and self-made distractions and such.  He was right.  But he also had his own issues, such as timeliness, attitude, and respect for authority.  We might have a little less talent on the WR room this year.  But we will have a lot fewer headaches.  I’m glad he’s gone, and we will eventually be better for it. 

That Cincinnati loss was inevitable.  The Bengals had a chip on their shoulder when it came to the Bills.  It was clear we were headed toward a prime time beatdown in the postponed game.  They were really taking it to the Bills.  

The playoff was more of the same.  The Bengals felt disrespected/overlooked or whatever because the Bills and set out to prove a point.  They ran over the Bills, and the game wasn't as close as the score indicated

7 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

That Cincinnati loss was inevitable.  The Bengals had a chip on their shoulder when it came to the Bills.  It was clear we were headed toward a prime time beatdown in the postponed game.  They were really taking it to the Bills.  

The playoff was more of the same.  The Bengals felt disrespected/overlooked or whatever because the Bills and set out to prove a point.  They ran over the Bills, and the game wasn't as close as the score indicated

Knowing what I know now the bengals playoff game was hopeless.  I shouldn’t have even gone to the stadium that day. 

The most disappointing part of that article for me is that winning the football game was a secondary priority for SD.  First priority was his desired number of passes thrown his way.  

I also think SD refuses to accept he's older and no longer the receiver he was when he was younger.  It's a young man's game, and he wasn't getting open like he used to because those quicker DB1s can cover him consistently.  

I expect him to have a pretty good year in Houston, especially if he can carve out a niche as WR3 going against DB3s and linebackers.  

2 hours ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Diggs is like the flashy salesman at a company.  You have to accomodate his quirks and attitude if you want to enjoy the success that he brings to the company.  He feels a huge sense of superiority, and although this works in a sales setting, it is a turn off to everyone else. There will never be a failure that is his fault.  Nobody that works with him trusts or likes him, but they put on a happy face and try to keep him happy as long as possible before the ego and selfishness get to be too much.  Diggs' ego and me first attitude finally outweighed the value that he brought to the team.  Simple business decision.

That flashy salesman keeps the business running. You may not always like him or her, but you sure are going to miss his 100+ receptions this year.

Obviously there is more to the story than anyone is saying. 

However trading Diggs when he did hurt the team. If Beane wanted to trade him it should have been before the draft and he should have done more during the draft to replace him. 

Beane f'd up. And now Allen and company  will have to reinvent the offense to compensate. It can be done but how many offenses really functional at a high level without a star pass catcher. KC struggled last year but they had Reid and Kelce. 

18 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

From what I understand the quotes are unnecessary.  Diggs had a point about focus and self-made distractions and such.  He was right.  But he also had his own issues, such as timeliness, attitude, and respect for authority.  We might have a little less talent on the WR room this year.  But we will have a lot fewer headaches.  I’m glad he’s gone, and we will eventually be better for it. 

Little less? Last time I checked fewer headaches don't win championships. 

Respect for authority? Respect is earned.  

McD lost all locker room respect with 13 seconds and then not owning up to it. He earned a ton of it back with how he handled the many adversities the following year from snow to Hamlin. 

Only speculation now. The games begin and we all get to see if Beane has sacrificed an entire season with this WR group or if Brady and Allen can make it work with a heqvt amount of two TE sets. 

9 minutes ago, dpberr said:

The most disappointing part of that article for me is that winning the football game was a secondary priority for SD.  First priority was his desired number of passes thrown his way.  

I also think SD refuses to accept he's older and no longer the receiver he was when he was younger.  It's a young man's game, and he wasn't getting open like he used to because those quicker DB1s can cover him consistently.  

I expect him to have a pretty good year in Houston, especially if he can carve out a niche as WR3 going against DB3s and linebackers.  

yup

zero mention of the fact that his team clawed their way into a playoff spot, just 'hey i didn't forget how to play football'

pure unfiltered narcissist

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Low Positive said:

I agree... and further to that, our opinions are just that... based on the information we see and interpret. We are not privy to the inner workings of the FO nor should we be. we are just left reading the tea leaves and stating our thoughts... 

21 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Little less? Last time I checked fewer headaches don't win championships. 

Respect for authority? Respect is earned.  

McD lost all locker room respect with 13 seconds and then not owning up to it. He earned a ton of it back with how he handled the many adversities the following year from snow to Hamlin. 

Only speculation now. The games begin and we all get to see if Beane has sacrificed an entire season with this WR group or if Brady and Allen can make it work with a heqvt amount of two TE sets. 

You assume I’m talking about McDermott.  It’s far from just him.  And headaches certainly prevent players from becoming teams and teams from winning. 

• Thank you (+1) 1