Diggs' Drama

Simon

Diggs was very good while here.  zero issues with his effort up till the 2nd half of last season when it appeared he was either being fazed out,  or doing it himself.   clearly he wanted out.  bye.  we would miss prime Diggs this season,  but he isnt prime Diggs anymore.  the FO took a huge hit to make him go away,  and got a decent return in doing so.  thats a win in my book.   Texans paid to get 600 catches max and mbe 5 TDs on a one year rental.  moving on.

Diggs is like the flashy salesman at a company.  You have to accomodate his quirks and attitude if you want to enjoy the success that he brings to the company.  He feels a huge sense of superiority, and although this works in a sales setting, it is a turn off to everyone else. There will never be a failure that is his fault.  Nobody that works with him trusts or likes him, but they put on a happy face and try to keep him happy as long as possible before the ego and selfishness get to be too much.  Diggs' ego and me first attitude finally outweighed the value that he brought to the team.  Simple business decision.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, bigduke6 said:

Diggs was very good while here.  zero issues with his effort up till the 2nd half of last season when it appeared he was either being fazed out,  or doing it himself.   clearly he wanted out.  bye.  we would miss prime Diggs this season,  but he isnt prime Diggs anymore.  the FO took a huge hit to make him go away,  and got a decent return in doing so.  thats a win in my book.   Texans paid to get 600 catches max and mbe 5 TDs on a one year rental.  moving on.

Diggs will jump Tony Gonzalez for 3rd most receptions all time this year!

• Haha (+1) 1

19 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I hate to be the bearer of "bad news" but being here in Houston I hear nothing bur praise for Diggs on his leadership and veteran experience, it is like he is another coach on the field, blah blah blah.. What many in Buffalo, esp the fans, treated as being a loud malcontent , in Houston he, so far, is respected as a vocal leader. 

Texans are brilliant, Diggs on a one year deal. He will "behave".  At first his constant screaming in Buffalo demonstrated supposedly how competitive he was but after a few years of his screaming it got real old, especially in the light on Josh Allen maturing and no longer  didn't need a safety blanket. It is now Josh's team and he has matured as the leader, no room left for Diggs in Buffalo.  A second year QB on a young team (Houston) could probably really use Diggs as we did in Buffalo until the end.

He was his first couple years here as well. Good rental player but teams would be crazy to lock him up longer term. I expect his behavior historically might cost him a longer term deal in the future. 

• Agree 1

I hate to be the bearer of "bad news" but being here in Houston I hear nothing bur praise for Diggs on his leadership and veteran experience, it is like he is another coach on the field, blah blah blah.. What many in Buffalo, esp the fans, treated as being a loud malcontent , in Houston he, so far, is respected as a vocal leader. 

Texans are brilliant, Diggs on a one year deal. He will "behave".  At first his constant screaming in Buffalo demonstrated supposedly how competitive he was but after a few years of his screaming it got real old, especially in the light on Josh Allen maturing and no longer  didn't need a safety blanket. It is now Josh's team and he has matured as the leader, no room left for Diggs in Buffalo.  A second year QB on a young team (Houston) could probably really use Diggs as we did in Buffalo until the end.

I agree for the most part with your second paragraph.  Not so much the first.  Nobody in Buffalo complained about Diggs his first two years here.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Read the whole article 

***** Diggs

Pretty much admits he whined like a B word when he stopped getting targeted as much as he needed to be targeted to be putting up yards and that he cares more about his specific stats than he cares about the team winning

If the article mentioned that the Bills were 5-5 under Dorsey and 6-1 with a 3-pt overtime loss under Brady, I didn't see it

If the article mentioned that the Bills were 5-5 when Diggs  had 102 targets (10 per game) and 970 yds (9.7 per game) but 6-1 when Diggs had 58 targets (8.2 per game) and 213 yds (30 per game), I didn't see it

If the article mentioned that Diggs has perennially disappeared in the playoffs for the Bills, I didn't see that either

Basically, knob slobbering article on Diggs (which I guess you'd expect from GQ) with the "could if I would but I won't bEcaUsE i'M A pRofESioNAl" crack about “There's some things that happened in Minnesota that I never shared, that I won't share,” he says. “Because I'm a professional. I believe in professionalism. You don't gotta talk bad about your ex-girlfriend to your new girlfriend.” implying there are untold stories about Allen he could dish if he chose.

Or, TL;DR as you say, ***** Diggs

8 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Curtis Samuel has only one season above 700 yards, and that was 4 years ago (851 yards with the Panthers).

This is his 8th season, and you think NOW he'll finally breakout? Or do you think Diggs will just have such a down year that Samuel will out-stat him by default of Diggs disappearing?

I think that Diggs will be out-stat'd by Nico Collins, and by the final 3rd of the season he'll be salty.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I mean, there was talk about Diggs being a Minnesota Malcontent when he was traded here; no one had anything bad to say about Diggs his first two seasons in Buffalo, either.  It was all about his leadership in the WR room and on the field blah blah blah.  He was respected as a vocal leader.

I would expect Diggs to behave in Texas, or at least try to.  But I think he will be sharing targets more than he thinks he will at present.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Diggs' defenders may scoff, but I think this is pretty damning. Multiple teammates say they don't trust the guy with their sister and don't want to bring him home to their parents. I think that's a direct assessment of his character.

Then Maddy Glab (whom I don't really respect as a "reporter" though she seems like a very nice person) says what she said about Steph.

No, not every character attack is truthful but when there's this much smoke...

I agree with this. Those guys in the locker room are coworkers, but being in a locker room and spending the time together they do brings a familiarity with who each other truly are. Not the face they give to the world 

• Like (+1) 1

the turning point in josh & diggs relationship started the night the cops "allegedly" came to josh's house the night before a playoff game.

josh wasn't at his best in that game.....diggs blamed him....

then the icy behavior going forward by diggs carried over to the following year traing camp... the team & josh  called diggs reasons a "non-football" related issue 

that infuriated diggs.... he was like...oh this sure the heck is football related...you let your personal life effect your football life.

then brittany was mysteriously and without explanation....gone

his attitude was what it was, but it was well known when we traded for him, he had his own issues in mini.

IMO, he wasn't removed for his attitude.  he was junk the last 8 or so games of the past 2 seasons, and was not even jag level in our past two playoffs, where we got bounced both times at home in the second round.  not catching the big balls that hit his hands, not scoring TDs, that's why he's gone.  you can perhaps argue that his negatives from his attitude were weighted vs his lack of production, but if he had a couple big TDs in each of the last two playoffs (not much to ask a 30mm type player who's got josh allen chucking him the ball) he'd be back with the same attitude.  

if he had a stellar poyer type personal impact on the team, maybe he'd have been kept around, but not at what he was being paid.  maybe at like knox money or something.  he's just not good enough.

my biggest gripe as a bills fan is the front office has inked up miller and diggs, two guys who's age vs production made their contracts bad moves, as well as guys like knox and milano (knox was above average for a year or two, milano was great for longer, but both cannot be relied on to be healthy).  the NFL is a young man's league, and more cheaper younger players are necessary to build chip teams.

IF (and it's a big IF) the story is actually true about some huge blowup at Allen's house the night before a playoff game then I could understand Diggs being furious. 

You work all year for that opportunity and in 3 hours it's gone and you start all over again at 0 with OTA's in a couple months. Imagine Coach Kilmer from Varsity Blues in that post game locker room. He would make Diggs look like Mr. Rodgers. 

Now, things happen and life often doesn't happen at convenient times. And Diggs could probably have handled it better. 

But I 100% get being furious about that, and I can also understand  it being the type of thing that ruins a relationship. After something like that being OK is probably the best case scenario, but nobody is taking photos of piggy back rides for the cover of sports mags after a blowup like that. 

As much as we like to say we can move on, forget/forgive and all that, there are just certain things that happen between people that you can't come back from. That's of course an individual thing. Diggs seems to be done when he's done and that's it. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

9 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Curtis Samuel has only one season above 700 yards, and that was 4 years ago (851 yards with the Panthers).

This is his 8th season, and you think NOW he'll finally breakout? Or do you think Diggs will just have such a down year that Samuel will out-stat him by default of Diggs disappearing?

Well Diggs had the advantage of Kirk Cousins and Josh Allen as his QB's.  By the time Samuel got to Carolina Newton was fading fast and after that he was being thrown to by a collective cast of below average QB's.  If he stays healthy Samuel, like Beasley & Brown before him, will enjoy the best seasons of his career with Allen.

I'm not sure how to react to all that.  It really isn't anything we don't know.  I am rooting against the Texans, I guess.  

It sounds to me like Diggs was checked out on the Bills last year, according to his words.  Extremely selfish and might have tanked a potential Super Bowl. Him dropping that pass at the end of the KC game makes it more frustrating.  You wonder what could have been if he had been 100% committed to the Bills and winning.   

I expect him to be happy in Houston.   Say nice words, play catch with kids in the crowd.  Maybe even put up big numbers.  His UFA experience should be interesting either way.  I do think he has an expiration date no matter where he is.  It's just his personality.  He is kind of a jerk, hearing a few local people's opinions who have had to deal with him... but his personality is also a driver of his greatness on the field.

Had a lot of good times here with Diggs.  #4 All time in yards, receptions, and touchdowns.  Lots of team success.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

IF (and it's a big IF) the story is actually true about some huge blowup at Allen's house the night before a playoff game then I could understand Diggs being furious. 

You work all year for that opportunity and in 3 hours it's gone and you start all over again at 0 with OTA's in a couple months. 

Now, things happen and life often doesn't happen at convenient times. And Diggs could probably have handled it better. 

But I 100% get being furious about that, and I can also understand  it being the type of thing that ruins a relationship. After something like that being OK is probably the best case scenario, but nobody is taking photos of piggy back rides for the cover of sports mags after a blowup like that. 

Funny though my recollection of that game was that while Allen wasn't at his best he wasn't close to being terrible.  In fact his only TO was a meaningless INT at the end of the game.  If a fight with his girl friend caused Allen not to have his best game then what did the defensive players go through the night before?  Their play was the primary reason the Bills lost that game.

And for the record who is Diggs to throw stones when he so often disappeared in playoff games and his last game in Buffalo against the Chiefs saw him flat out drop what would have been an 80 yard TD in the 4th quarter.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Funny though my recollection of that game was that while Allen wasn't at his best he wasn't close to being terrible.  In fact his only TO was a meaningless INT at the end of the game.  If a fight with his girl friend caused Allen not to have his best game then what did the defensive players go through the night before?  Their play was the primary reason the Bills lost that game.

And for the record who is Diggs to throw stones when he so often disappeared in playoff games and his last game in Buffalo against the Chiefs saw him flat out drop what would have been an 80 yard TD in the 4th quarter.

I think this needs to be said more. Diggs wasn't only paid to be a number 1 WR for 17 weeks a year. The lack of post season production from our top wideout is one of the major reasons we kept getting booted from the playoffs (along with the defensive scheme not working against the best QBs). 

For all his naysaying he's more of a reason we haven't won against the Chiefs then Allen has ever been. 

• Like (+1) 2

Here is why I am pissed:

-I poopoo-ed the idea of Diggs being a diva from 2020 up until a month or two ago.

-I blamed Josh for not throwing it to Diggs and instead targeting Shakir in the last Chiefs game.

-I defended his level of play saying that even if he was dropping off it made more sense to add to his supporting cast 

-I was adamant that restructuring Diggs should be our way forward. I was willing to bet the farm he'd be here in 2024.

So when he leaves and takes a swipe at Bills fans on the way out and now reveals that he forced his way out because he was worried about his target share because he wants to hit HOF numbers?

Ok that gets to me

• Like (+1) 4