Diggs' Drama

Simon

• 4 weeks later...

jasbsuxemwtkm5kota7b.jpg

Entering his 10th season in the NFL, Diggs has designs on where he’d like to be next.

His first catch for the Texans will likely put him over 10,000 career yards (he’s five short right now), and he’s done the math to know that he needs about 4,000 more to move into Hall of Fame territory. “I pay real close attention,” he says. “This ***** is not a game to me.”

The fact that Diggs is keeping a close count is one of the reasons he’s a frequent discussion topic among people who get paid to talk about football for a living. In a sport where players are expected to abide by a platitudinous “there’s no I in team,” he’s certainly not quiet about wanting the ball.

Which, if you ask him, is a preposterous line of criticism. “I don’t know one star in any sport that doesn’t want the ball,” he says, when I bring this up. “If you ain’t getting the ball, and it’s not a problem, you ain’t no competitor.”

Still, this offseason was the second time Diggs was traded—before the Bills he played for the Minnesota Vikings—and both times, critics wondered: Why trade away a bona fide, offense-making superstar unless his sure hands also came with some great headaches?

GQSPORTS

Diggs, for his part, sees it differently. “None of those teams wanted to get rid of me,” he says. “Things had to shake because I kind of wanted them to shake.”

So he called his shot and got what he wanted: another new beginning, with a team that is loaded with offensive talent—and that’s very excited about Diggs’s competitive fire.

“When you watch the film on him, he jumps off the tape in how competitive he is,” says Bobby Slowik, the Texans’ offensive coordinator. “That is why we fell in love with his style of play.”

The goal is nothing less than a Super Bowl, and now is the time: Diggs turned 30 last season, and despite the fact that he hasn’t missed a game due to injury in nearly six years, Father Time eventually jams up even the shiftiest route runners.

“They say it’s rough,” Diggs says, when I bring up him approaching the big three-oh. “That’s just what they say.”

He knows what’s at stake and he also hears what’s being said—and, as usual, would prefer to be the one making moves and doing the talking. “I love the noise,” he says.

“Push me in the corner, I’m gonna show you my best *****. I’m a person that enjoys being doubted.

I enjoy proving people wrong, but also, I enjoy doing it for myself. 

Everything I say I am, I am. I’m standing true to it.  And every time I prove myself right, everybody disappears.

I like when they get quiet.”

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

I think Diggs will do well in Houston. But since he won't be the focal point of the offense due to their outstanding young talent, I see alot of 5 for 45yd games in his future. He's not a YAC guy who creates with the ball in his hands, so he needs targets to get his numbers. Will there be enough to keep him happy? 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Read the whole article 

***** Diggs

Last season, Diggs started off the season in Buffalo hot, with more than 100 receiving yards in five of his first six games. But he didn’t go over 100 yards—and he notched only two scores—for the rest of the season. If it didn’t look like Diggs was having fun that’s because, well, he wasn’t.

“Last year, I was in the worst mental space I’ve been in since I’ve been in the league,” Diggs says. “If I'm not in a good space, obviously that's not the best for me. So that's when things had to start shaking out.”

In April, Diggs wasn’t surprised to learn that he’d been traded. “We had some talks with Buffalo,” he says. “We knew where things were going—I did, at least.

The outside world had so much speculation. I knew, from the beginning of the year to the end of the year to the offseason, exactly what was going on. Not too much confusion on my end.”

Dislike this guy so much and I am so happy he is gone.  He wanted out and he forced his way out.  Bills fans should remember that every time he is brought up.

He got his way and the bills are stuck with a ton of dead money.  He screwed over The Bills team and his former teammates.   

He should just be ignored here going forward.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 18
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Diggs would not be who he thinks he is without Josh Allen, and his attitude is a notable part of why we got bumped out of the playoffs annually, Mr two touchdowns in seven playoff games, talk about disappearing in the crucial moments…, massive sh-t talker imo. 

GO BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

For a team to be successful everyone has to buy in and pull in the same direction.   Diggs is a hell of a football player but he is also mentally fragile.   

He treats teams like a spoiled kid with a new toy.  Overjoyed by it for a little while and then in the garbage with it when he is bored.  Somehow the guy is proud he forced his way off two teams.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Last season, Diggs started off the season in Buffalo hot, with more than 100 receiving yards in five of his first six games. But he didn’t go over 100 yards—and he notched only two scores—for the rest of the season. If it didn’t look like Diggs was having fun that’s because, well, he wasn’t.

“Last year, I was in the worst mental space I’ve been in since I’ve been in the league,” Diggs says. “If I'm not in a good space, obviously that's not the best for me. So that's when things had to start shaking out.”

In April, Diggs wasn’t surprised to learn that he’d been traded. “We had some talks with Buffalo,” he says. “We knew where things were going—I did, at least.

The outside world had so much speculation. I knew, from the beginning of the year to the end of the year to the offseason, exactly what was going on. Not too much confusion on my end.”

What in the hell happened at training camp

• Agree 1

Always liked Diggs. Loved his fire and personality, but he sounds like a guy that if he's not the center of the entire team, he wants out. The part that bothers me most, is that in everything he's ever said since leaving buffalo, not once have I seen him mention how he was at fault for crucial dropped passes etc. Good luck to him but also good riddance 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

Here's what I'll never understand:

Diggs seemingly had everything a player could want. He was handsomely paid, he received a ton of targets, he put up gaudy statistics, he played for a top five quarterback, he played for a winning team that is perennially in the playoffs, he was beloved by the fan base, he was a national star. What more -- literally, WHAT MORE -- could he possibly want?

One could say that it was his waning involvement in the offense that soured him, but we can all see that things had changed prior to that. That Diggs' demeanor and interest in being a Buffalo Bill had changed. So the question is -- why? How could a player have everything I just listed above, and still want out? Still think the grass is greener elsewhere?

There simply MUST be something that happened behind the scenes that we're all not aware of, because none of it makes any sense. He seemingly had everything, and he still wanted out. I'll never understand it.

Oh, and one more thing: seeing how free and light and fun the atmosphere around the team seems to be right now, compared to what it was last year...it's hard to conclude anything other than that Diggs's presence was a huge negative influence on team mood and chemistry, and that his ouster is gonna pay huge dividends for this team (and this quarterback) mentally.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

All things considered, he's still being cryptic as hell even as he continues to talk. I have no idea what this means. He wanted out, but why?  

• Agree 4

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Here's what I'll never understand:

Diggs seemingly had everything a player could want. He was handsomely paid, he received a ton of targets, he put up gaudy statistics, he played for a top five quarterback, he played for a winning team that is perennially in the playoffs, he was beloved by the fan base, he was a national star. What more -- literally, WHAT MORE -- could he possibly want?

One could say that it was his waning involvement in the offense that soured him, but we can all see that things had changed prior to that. That Diggs' demeanor and interest in being a Buffalo Bill had changed. So the question is -- why? How could a player have everything I just listed above, and still want out? Still think the grass is greener?

There simply MUST be something that happened behind the scenes that we're all not aware of, because none of it makes any sense. He seemingly had everything, and he still wanted it. I'll never understand it.

Oh, and one more thing: seeing how free and light and fun the atmosphere around the team seems to be right now, compared to what it was last year...it's hard to conclude anything other than that Diggs's presence was a huge negative influence on team mood and chemistry, and that his ouster is gonna pay huge dividends for this team (and this quarterback) mentally.

You are forgetting that he is a spoiled brat who can never be happy.  He is a big baby who always has to be catered to.  

He is the worst kind of player to have on your team.  

Last season, Diggs started off the season in Buffalo hot, with more than 100 receiving yards in five of his first six games. But he didn’t go over 100 yards—and he notched only two scores—for the rest of the season. If it didn’t look like Diggs was having fun that’s because, well, he wasn’t. “Last year, I was in the worst mental space I’ve been in since I’ve been in the league,” Diggs says. “If I'm not in a good space, obviously that's not the best for me. So that's when things had to start shaking out.”

“The games looked a lot different,” he says. “You can blame me. I don’t mind blaming me. I got big-ass shoulders. But pay attention, pay real close attention. Watch the game. Of course there’s plenty of plays I want back. But there’s a lot of plays that didn’t go my way. I need a lot of things to go right to get the ball…. You can't roll out of bed and get 800 yards in the first eight games. Your best receiver’s doing that. You tell me about the last 10. What changed? Were there changes going on? I just pay attention to what really happened and not what people try to act like happened. Like, for the last 10 games, I forgot how to ***** play football?”

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1