Is sitting down at football games normal?

benderbender

3 hours ago, benderbender said:

Went to Acrisure Stadium to watch the preseason game against the Steelers for my first away game. Grateful for the win because I wasn't sure if my undefeated streak would translate outside Highmark. But aside from not seeing a touchdown live for the first time, I was shocked to see fans sitting down. Like with butts in their seats. Sure, when a play came to the sideline people stood to see, but momentarily. I asked the locals and they said aside from when they play Renegade or an exceptionally tense series at the end of the game, people get angry when you stand. 

The only home games I've been able to sit down at is when I was able to get a club seat, or the nosebleeds. The rest of the time, even in closer rows, I've had to stand. Is this just a WNY thing?

This is why I got seats in Row 1. I'll stand when I want.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

I am a big guy, if its not a bench, I usually stand as much as possible.    

I’m not crazy big but my knees are over the seat infront of me at pretty much any stadium or arena. It’s much more comfortable to stand. 

Anytime I’ve sat in the lower bowl at a football game everyone stood the whole time no matter where the game was located. 

4 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I’m not crazy big but my knees are over the seat infront of me at pretty much any stadium or arena. It’s much more comfortable to stand. 

Anytime I’ve sat in the lower bowl at a football game everyone stood the whole time no matter where the game was located. 

Similar issue.  I am only 6'2 but my knees press into the seat in front of me.   

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, benderbender said:

Went to Acrisure Stadium to watch the preseason game against the Steelers for my first away game. Grateful for the win because I wasn't sure if my undefeated streak would translate outside Highmark. But aside from not seeing a touchdown live for the first time, I was shocked to see fans sitting down. Like with butts in their seats. Sure, when a play came to the sideline people stood to see, but momentarily. I asked the locals and they said aside from when they play Renegade or an exceptionally tense series at the end of the game, people get angry when you stand. 

The only home games I've been able to sit down at is when I was able to get a club seat, or the nosebleeds. The rest of the time, even in closer rows, I've had to stand. Is this just a WNY thing?

It didn't used to be like this. I can't stand going to the stadium anymore because of it. Had season tickets for years but I just got tired of standing up for the entire game. I miss the atmosphere and the tailgating, but I'm to old to stand up for 3 hours straight, plus my wife is vertically challenged and can't see anything at all. Watches the entire game through the scoreboard. 10 ft projector screen and a couple easy chairs more than makes up for it.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, coloradobillsfan said:

This is an endless argument on my favorite touring band's forum as well.  The only answer is to read the room and act accordingly. 

This is the correct answer, I personally don’t care if I stand or sit. However, I find it obnoxious when the lone person who chooses to stand is right in front of me. Then I need to stand in order to see, but would block everyone’s view doing so. Personally, I’m more apt to understand standing at a concert vs football though. I don’t see the need to stand for the entire game with all its dull moments. I fully understand on key defensive plays or a two minute game winning drive. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, rockpile said:

I went to the last preseason game this year (with two daughters and four grandchildren).

Most people sat because it was a practice game and there were a LOT of kids. 

Some foolish people were *obsessed* with starting a "wave" in the second half, most likely out of boredom. 

* The wave is about as current as dialup internet

AND

* You do NOT do the wave when the Bills have the ball!

I explained this to the grandchildren so they grow up informed. 

I taught my kids at a very early age to never do the wave - it's stupid.  Even now as grown-ups if we're at a game and there is a wave they shoot me a glance and stay still with their hands down 😛

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Dr. K said:

This is why the new stadium in Buffalo is being built without any seats, because IDIOT BUFFALO FANS ARE TOO DUMB TO SIT DOWN DURING THE GAME. 

As if somehow you aren't a real fan unless you stand up the entire game and therefore prevent anybody else from seeing it unless they stand up too. 

I’ve always noticed the average age of Buffalo fans at the stadium seems to be lower than other stadiums. I know many older fans have season tickets, but I’ve been surrounded by twenty somethings every time I’ve attended, including in the lower bowl. I think this has a lot to do with fan behavior.

I expect the demographic to change significantly in the new stadium. The stadium sometimes seems like a giant frat party on Sundays. It gives Buffalo a spectacular college like home advantage that comes across great on television, but it can being annoying at times in person. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 1

Have bad feet and cannot stand all game.  Many of the games in Ralph Wilson Stadium I sat in friends' first row seats on second level.   I have been to a couple other games and it was hit or miss if was able to see much of game on field bur usually could see on Jumbotron.

At away games I have always been able to sit most of game without people in front of me.

At Ravens game I had ticket at last row and able to sit on edge of seat back and see game.

At Cardinals stadium everyone in front of me was sitting but there was a girder DIRECTLY in front of seat - ticket said "partly obstructed".  The overhang from seats above also blocked view and TVs were barely visible.

It is odd to charge for seats and not be able to use them except to put gear on.

I’ve been to 13 bills games since 2000. I’ve gone to both preseason and regular season and have sat everywhere in the 100s. Depending on whether it’s preseason or regular season, how close to the field you are or what era of the pre drought, drought or post drought you’re in, I’ve had a split mix of standing and sitting. 

I did go to a 1 away game in Cleveland and they all sat. This was the 2013 Monday (or Thursday?) night game 

6 hours ago, Punching Bag said:

Have bad feet and cannot stand all game.  Many of the games in Ralph Wilson Stadium I sat in friends' first row seats on second level.   I have been to a couple other games and it was hit or miss if was able to see much of game on field bur usually could see on Jumbotron.

At away games I have always been able to sit most of game without people in front of me.

At Ravens game I had ticket at last row and able to sit on edge of seat back and see game.

At Cardinals stadium everyone in front of me was sitting but there was a girder DIRECTLY in front of seat - ticket said "partly obstructed".  The overhang from seats above also blocked view and TVs were barely visible.

It is odd to charge for seats and not be able to use them except to put gear on.

I started by Bills fandom at the Rockpile, where I literally sat "behind a post".

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Now that Im in my 60s would prefer to sit and my wife is also only 5'3 so its tough on her when people stand.   Same if you take a kid.   Just seems like how a stadium is designed, if everyone sits, everyone can see.  Personally, I don't think somebody in front of a couple of kids would care if they couldn't see while they stand the whole game.   I do think its a newer generation thing, like when you go to a concert and everyone has their phone up, watching the concert through their phone---at a live concert, kind of insane in my book.  You pay for a seat, use it.  Maybe they should design some stadiums with sections with just rows and no seats for the people who want to stand for 3 hours.