Is sitting down at football games normal?

benderbender

Went to Acrisure Stadium to watch the preseason game against the Steelers for my first away game. Grateful for the win because I wasn't sure if my undefeated streak would translate outside Highmark. But aside from not seeing a touchdown live for the first time, I was shocked to see fans sitting down. Like with butts in their seats. Sure, when a play came to the sideline people stood to see, but momentarily. I asked the locals and they said aside from when they play Renegade or an exceptionally tense series at the end of the game, people get angry when you stand. 

The only home games I've been able to sit down at is when I was able to get a club seat, or the nosebleeds. The rest of the time, even in closer rows, I've had to stand. Is this just a WNY thing?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I think it depends... I have been to games at Gillette and experienced both. Endzone seats - everyone was sitting. Lower bowl sideline seats - everyone stood the whole game. Nosebleeds - everyone sat the whole game (this was during the Rex Ryan years when I believe the Bills shut them out at home with Brissett at QB?). 

4 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

I think you answered your own question in the first sentence...

I found it to be a VERY different experience when we went for preseason games. I didn’t go to that many, but the game was kind of background noise while we felt like we were at a picnic. It wasn’t really about football. 

• Agree 3

This is why the new stadium in Buffalo is being built without any seats, because IDIOT BUFFALO FANS ARE TOO DUMB TO SIT DOWN DURING THE GAME. 

As if somehow you aren't a real fan unless you stand up the entire game and therefore prevent anybody else from seeing it unless they stand up too. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

You're definitely going to hear a wide range of opinions on this topic - in previous posts, people have been very loud, and often defensive on both sides of the issue.

I'm 50 years old and love to be in the fun sections where everyone stands for most of the game and enjoys the rowdiness and camaraderie

Will I still feel that way when I'm 65?  Who knows

Will it be very different at the new stadium?  Almost certainly

I went to the last preseason game this year (with two daughters and four grandchildren).

Most people sat because it was a practice game and there were a LOT of kids. 

Some foolish people were *obsessed* with starting a "wave" in the second half, most likely out of boredom. 

* The wave is about as current as dialup internet

AND

* You do NOT do the wave when the Bills have the ball!

I explained this to the grandchildren so they grow up informed. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, rockpile said:

I went to the last preseason game this year (with two daughters and four grandchildren).

Some foolish people were *obsessed* with starting a "wave" in the second half, most likely out of boredom. 

AND

The wave was going in the Bears preseason game, too. Actually went around quite a few times, I was impressed.

The only game I have been to in Buffalo was in, like 2011 I think? The Bills were not good. However, the game went to overtime and Fitzpatrick sealed the loss with a pick, like he tended to do.

It was a December game and was cold. We were at about the 50 yard line maybe like 20 or 30 rows from the field, so pretty good seats, I think. We spent probably 60% of the time sitting and 40% standing. Everyone stood up during exciting portions or important downs, and sat down when it wasn't. I've found that to be the norm at every other stadium I've been to.

So, if that has changed and people stand for the entire game, first, why? Why not sit some of the time? Standing is always an option during exciting moments. Second, that sounds kind of miserable, especially for older people, and women and children who are shorter and can't see over other people who are standing. I'm 6'3" and so that isn't an issue for me, but what do kids do?

6 minutes ago, rockpile said:

AND

At a Bills game in Nashville there was a group behind us all dressed in Bills gear. It was apparently borrowed or freshly purchased. They were making as much noise as anybody in the stadium, even when we were on offense. When I explained that “now is the time to be quiet, Josh is trying to talk to his guys” they looked at me like I just told them the sun was made of cheese, in Latin. “Really?” Yes, really. 

The same guy was pretty drunk, and somehow we went from high fiving to him patting me on the head when something good happened. I didn’t really care, but eventually he says “hey, your hair is all wet!” I said “I know, you keep spilling beer on me!”  His second big surprise of the night! 😂 

• Haha (+1) 2

I’ve been to probably close to 15 stadiums to watch NFL games. All stadiums, people sit except when something big is happening. Went to Buffalo for the first time in about 10 years to watch the Bucs/Bills last year and was surprised everyone stood the whole game. I actually loved it. The live experience in Buffalo is unmatched by the other stadiums I have been to. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

By preference, I'm a stander.

I understand and empathize with those that sit. If you have, say, knee or back problems, or just generally aren't physically up to the task of standing the whole time. I get it. 

But for me? It's a gladiator sport. It's spectacle. It's exciting and loud and fast and violent. I want to stand. Standing feels right.

Like Hunter S Thompson (who was a big 49ers fan) used to say to those that got mad at him for standing and being audibly raucous at football games: "THIS IS FOOTBALL!!! GO TO THE ***** OPERA IF YOU WANNA SIT AND BE QUIET!!"

That said, if I'm in a section where everyone sits for much of the game, I will be courteous and sit, too. EXCEPT for during the exciting parts. Kickoffs, 3rd downs, red zone, big plays. I'm damned sure standing and cheering for those parts. If you don't like it, go to the opera.

• Haha (+1) 1

Was just at Florida/Miami in The Swamp and the crowd stood for the entire game until it became a massacre mid-3rd Q.  Same for other games I've been to there, as well as Clemson and South Carolina.  

On the flip side, went to the Meadowlands for Bills/Jets and everyone sat most of the game.  Same for Bills/Jags in Jax and Bills/Rams in LA. 

Buffalo Bills football is 100% more relatable to Southern college ball than it is the majority of the NFL.