How big of a concern is the Safety position?

GASabresIUFan

How concerned are you about our safeties?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. How concerned are you about our safeties?

• No concerns - I trust McD to get the most of these guys, we'll be fine!
    • Some concerns - I'm ok with Rapp, but I not sure about Hamlin or Edwards as starters
    • Concerned - Despite some similarities to 2017, the current group isn't Hyde and Poyer. Hopefully they'll be ok, but Beane may need to shore up the position mid-season.
    • Very concerned - the position is a dumpster fire. Rapp takes stupid penalties and I have zero confidence in Hamlin or Edwards. This is the D's Achilles' heal.

They wouldn't have signed back Rapp, if they didn't have confidence in him.

Hamlin is a stop gap until Bishop is ready (who will likely have some dime looks or Edwards).  Also, Hamlin this year has shown marked improvement from 2022 and more consistent in camp.  Not like Poyer/Hyde didn't have weaknesses start to show the past couple years.

We will be fine, barring major injuries.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, FireChans said:

Hamlin played much more the Johnson and was a key reason the Bills run defense was terrible in 2022. He was constantly taking bad angles or whiffing. 

I don’t want to harp on the kid too much because of everything he has gone through but he did not put a lot of good tape out there. Splitting hairs if he was mediocre or bad also does not interest me. I don’t think he’s a starting S at the NFL level. He’s exactly what he has been, a backup late round pick. 

I agree about Hamlin.  A back-up on the verge of falling off the roster.  Now he has to play regularly and that's scary.

I was torn between 'some concerns' and 'concerned.'

Rapp and Hamlin is certainly not the same quality of duo as Poyer and Hyde.   Then again Poyer and Hyde weren't Poyer and Hyde last season.  

I think McD is really good at defensive schemes and coaching up safeties to disguise coverage, communicate, and play together well.  But sometimes, individual decision-making and athleticism decide the outcome of the play.  

Bishop - I think he’s a long term starter eventually.

Edwards - Has missed all summer and is currently listed as Rapp’s backup. Not holding my breath.

Hamlin - He wasn’t a liability the last time he started, but wasn’t a playmaker either. Solid longer term #3 safety?

Rapp - Lots of hype, but his play last year didn’t inspire. 

Cine - Let us hope. 

https://www.buffalobills.com/team/depth-chart

Looks like Hamlin is penciled in as the starter for week 1.  Does that make things better or worse?  I know @FireChans isn't happy, but how does everyone else feel?

1 minute ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Bishop - I think he’s a long term starter eventually.

Edwards - Has missed all summer and is currently listed as Rapp’s backup. Not holding my breath.

Hamlin - He wasn’t a liability the last time he started, but wasn’t a playmaker either. Solid longer term #3 safety?

Rapp - Lots of hype, but his play last year didn’t inspire. 

Cine - Let us hope. 

Don't forget Jackson is on the PS.  The guy has 15 years of NFL experience, playing in over 203 games including 193 starts.  I wouldn't be surprised if he is the first callup if we suffer more injuries at Safety.  

I'm really rooting for Hamlin to stay healthy and play well. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFan said:

https://www.buffalobills.com/team/depth-chart

Looks like Hamlin is penciled in as the starter for week 1.  Does that make things better or worse?  I know @FireChans isn't happy, but how does everyone else feel?

He wasn’t a liability last time, he’s temporary until Bishop is ready. 

My ultimate wish at safety is Cine and Bishop live up to their potential and steal the two roles.

I already commented, but will add that DL/LB are way more important to this defenses success.

We saw what happened LY-down Milano, Bernard, recovering Daquan, recovering Von.

We need capable play at S, which is what I think is reasonable to expect.  We have solid boundary corners, a top tier slot.

Dorian Williams play will be much more important to how we do this season, and Bernard staying healthy.

2 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

They wouldn't have signed back Rapp, if they didn't have confidence in him.

Hamlin is a stop gap until Bishop is ready (who will likely have some dime looks or Edwards).  Also, Hamlin this year has shown marked improvement from 2022 and more consistent in camp.  Not like Poyer/Hyde didn't have weaknesses start to show the past couple years.

We will be fine, barring major injuries.

No. They brought back Rapp bc he’s cheap and knows the system. The dead cap bills needed cheap starters

Hamlin - marked improvement? It’s training camp / preseason. Means NOTHING. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, balln said:

No. They brought back Rapp bc he’s cheap and knows the system. The dead cap bills needed cheap starters

Hamlin - marked improvement? It’s training camp / preseason. Means NOTHING. 

You have your mind made up it seems.

Rapp is a capable safety.  Simple as that.

I have no idea if you have an agenda against Damar (like some do on this board), but it's not unheard of to see players make a jump in their 3rd/4th year.  Some ppl thought he was being cut early this offseason...he has talent to be a capable starter as well.

Great thing is, we have Bishop likely to push for playing time.  And Edwards as a capable backup.

McD knows how to get the most out of his secondary players.  This year will highlight his and his staffs abilities.

Hamlin is a major concern for me.  I really thought he wouldn't even make the roster.  The last time he actually was playing defense, he was not great in coverage and poor in run support.  Safety is your last line of defense on runs and often have to make some plays near the LOS.  He wasn't up to it last I saw him.  To me, he's one of those guys like Cody Ford, when he is on the field bad things happen.  

Outside of Josh Allen, I believe Poyer and Hyde were the two most important players on the roster over the last 5 years. The step back will be massive. Combined with losing Milano, I don't see how we hold a team under 30 points. Rapp will be a liability. And Hamlin is just not very good. 

Just my opinion. And I truly hope I'm wrong. 

9 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Hamlin was ok. Johnson was terrible and off the roster at the end of the year. When Hamlin played next to Poyer he held his won. Not great but not terrible. 

If Bishop is healthy and can't win a starting job as a second round pick, it's another huge 2nd round miss by Beane. 

Give then a few weeks to see if Bishop can play and if not call in Hyde

Two things going against Bishop, his injury and McDermott only playing rookies he absolutely has to. Not getting preseason exposure was too much. Hopefully it doesn’t take too long to work him in. I think week two is going to be a long day.

Edited by Allen2Coleman
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, SCBills said:

Some concern. 

I just don't value the position as much as other positions, so I can't be overly freaked out.  Also, I do trust McDermott/Babich to coach & scheme them up properly. 

Our Defense doesn't hinge on Safety play or Matt Milano's replacement..  It hinges on the DL.  Same as always.  If Von is back to being close to pre-injury Von on pass downs and Rousseau makes the jump we've all been hoping for.. this Defense will be a Top 10 unit. 

I agree with this viewpoint.

The best way to protect the secondary is to take away the QBs time in the pocket.  I good pass rush will help immeasurably. The second best way is to have the offense control the time of possession and keeping the defense off the field.  

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I was torn between 'some concerns' and 'concerned.'

Rapp and Hamlin is certainly not the same quality of duo as Poyer and Hyde.   Then again Poyer and Hyde weren't Poyer and Hyde last season.  

I think McD is really good at defensive schemes and coaching up safeties to disguise coverage, communicate, and play together well.  But sometimes, individual decision-making and athleticism decide the outcome of the play.  

No safety pair can match what Hyde and Poyer did; they were almost telepathically joined.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFan said:

The best way to protect the secondary is to take away the QBs time in the pocket.  I good pass rush will help immeasurably. The second best way is to have the offense control the time of possession and keeping the defense off the field.  

I agree.  But I worry about our pass rush too.   That's the problem.