informative Athletic article on how Joe Brady transformed the Bills' offensive approach

dave mcbride

I always heard that a good coach doesn't pound a square peg into a round hole.  He plays to his players talent/skills.

How do you do this?  How about asking the players what their best talent/skills are.

That crazy talk!  The inmates are running the asylum!

This place does entertain me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

On 9/3/2024 at 10:57 AM, boyst said:

100%. It's a cool concept for a team of veterans who have shown their worth and been gilded by a forge already. It's another thing to simply fall back upon what the team wants as a vote. It's not a democracy. The head coach must reign supreme and the positional coaches must be held accountable.

Brady cool guying the OC position at a young age is going to be difficult when he has to put people's feet to the fire. Especially since McClappy doesn't.

This is going to be a long season.

I hope its a long season.  21 games woud be fine by me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/3/2024 at 12:52 PM, boyst said:

Until he got Mahomes and Kelce? About as good as McDermott. 

I don't know man, four straight conference championships and a Super Bowl appearance was pretty darn good, never mind getting what he did out of Alex Smith.

He has his flaws, but Andy Reid has arguably the strongest NFL coaching trees of this generation.

Now as to the articles content I'm with Spencer Brown. One of the most demoralizing things I've seen in corporate culture is when some VP gets a hot nut for some idea. It won't work. You know it won't work. You break your back trying to make it work against all odds but when it doesn't it's rarely the VP in the cross hairs it's you for not delivering on this nut's delusions.

I know football is different but I understand the sentiment.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

On 9/3/2024 at 11:12 AM, bills_fan said:

I love this approach. I also think it was necessary last year given that Brady took over a listing ship midseason...simply to what we do well and take it from there.  Worked wonderfully.

And I do believe that Brady is a great offensive mind.  And he had all offseason to develop a plan with these players.  Its gonna be a good plan we see this season (I hope Im right).

I believe this is why the Bills felt they didn't need star WR's.  Just capable play makers that contributed to the system. 

14 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

so you are considering Buddhism finally !
 The fun kind where none of this really matters , so have fun gdammit

I'm a practicing egomaniac nihilist. 

14 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I don't know man, four straight conference championships and a Super Bowl appearance was pretty darn good, never mind getting what he did out of Alex Smith.

He has his flaws, but Andy Reid has arguably the strongest NFL coaching trees of this generation.

Now as to the articles content I'm with Spencer Brown. One of the most demoralizing things I've seen in corporate culture is when some VP gets a hot nut for some idea. It won't work. You know it won't work. You break your back trying to make it work against all odds but when it doesn't it's rarely the VP in the cross hairs it's you for not delivering on this nut's delusions.

I know football is different but I understand the sentiment.

Yeah, I guess it's not so bad just to get the dance. But after so many years. I just want to win one. 

There will be certain humor when we do end up firing McDermott and he goes to Las Vegas to take them to multiple super balls in the new raider dynasty. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 9/3/2024 at 9:36 PM, stevewin said:

Its amazing to me something as inherently positive as getting meaningful feedback from players is getting crapped all over by so many.  

You set the intention first. Then bend reality to meet that intention. Then get your keyboard out…

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, boyst said:

I'm a practicing egomaniac nihilist. 

Yeah, I guess it's not so bad just to get the dance. But after so many years. I just want to win one. 

There will be certain humor when we do end up firing McDermott and he goes to Las Vegas to take them to multiple super balls in the new raider dynasty. 

I would suggest you have a degree or two in these disciplines  LOL 😇

All the Olde timers want one before Death swings its scythe for Us.

Ye God/s One thing we ask 

End our collective sufferings at long last !

Give us a SB win so we can go in peace . please 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

After reading this awesome article about the new OC energizing his players, improving their engagement in meetings, getting everyone on the same page, and enhancing his quarterback's leadership role, I definitely DIDN'T have "several forum members complaining that this approach is a disaster waiting to happen" on my Bingo card.

This board never ceases to amaze me.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1