informative Athletic article on how Joe Brady transformed the Bills' offensive approach

dave mcbride

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

Spare me with the “if you’ve ever played organized sports “ bullsh!t. Give me a break. 

Anonymity is weak. And I will double down on my opinion that it ia a recipe for disaster. 

I’ve led teams outside of ***** high school scholastics. 

Collaboration is fantastic and necessary. 

Giving team members a voice is also fantastic and necessary. 

Some things work well in the short term. 

As quickly as an NFL season goes by, it isn’t short. We all know it doesn’t start with week one and it’s a lot longer than 17 weeks. 

This is not organized sports that most of us can relate to. It’s the NFL. It’s an organization (sports/entertainment BUSINESS) chock full of grown men. 

Open. Honest. Direct. 

I think it's a mistake for you to brand all anonymity as the same.

Brady is allowing anonymity with the intention of encouraging honest feedback from his players.

There are other reasons to encourage anonymity.

Ultimately right and wrong will be determined by how his offense performs but I'm certainly not gonna judge his methods when he hasn't yet created an offense of his own.

I'm not that smart that I can predict disaster before it happens.

• Thank you (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I think it's a mistake for you to brand all anonymity as the same.

Brady is allowing anonymity with the intention of encouraging honest feedback from his players.

There are other reasons to encourage anonymity.

Ultimately right and wrong will be determined by how his offense performs but I'm certainly not gonna judge his methods when he hasn't yet created an offense of his own.

I'm not that smart that I can predict disaster before it happens.

How would you feel about this offensive approach if Diggs was still on the team?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

How would you feel about this offensive approach if Diggs was still on the team?

If your concern is that Diggs would impose his will on the offense I would not share that concern.

I think his teammates would keep him in check if it became obvious that he was only interested in his own agenda. I believe it would be pretty obvious if that's what he was trying to do and I don't believe he'd be able to cow all of his offensive teammates. He would be called out on it IMO.

Its amazing to me something as inherently positive as getting meaningful feedback from players is getting crapped all over by so many.  

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Most of the people making a stink seem to be overlooking the fact that they are starting with the plays from Brady's install for the week. They aren't picking random plays out and getting the coach to run them.

I seriously don't get the negativity about this. People think players are robots. They do everything equally well and always perform at 100% effectiveness.

In reality, every player has things they do well or struggle with. Quarterbacks have routes they are more comfortable throwing. Receivers have routes they think they can get open on. If the guard doesn't think he can make his reach block, or cut off a flowing backer on a play, I want to know before I call the play and get blown up. That's before you get to the buy-in it creates. When the coach calls your play, you better make it.

This is not unusual. Lots of coaches have similar practices.

Edited by DrMaxPower
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, QB Bills said:

Not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, it's great that the players are involved and having their voices heard. On the other hand, you'd hope that the coach would know what's best in terms of giving the team the best chance to win and getting the players to follow along. 

I think this misses the point.  

The season is in jeopardy and the OC fired.  

Rather then come in (already on staff) and say I’ll just run what I think is best - he leaned on the players who ultimately were failed by Dorsey.  

Brady doing what he did was a way of telling a very veteran offense - I need to know what you guys weren’t on the same page with Ken on and I’ll adjust and make this work.  

I honestly can’t think of a better approach to a mid season firing.  

And I doubt it will be a feature this year with this new group.  They’ll discuss.  But nothing like what they did in 23.  

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

11 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I just don't know. Everyone said the same thing about Cowher, Andy Reid in Philly, etc. The fact of the matter is that they do get to the second round every year and sometimes there's some bad luck in close games. He's not getting fired, so I will simply roll with him because he's at least a pretty good coach. And pretty good coaches sometimes win SBs with an elite QB.

I always love second place. I always get joy looking up at the prom queen sitting next to sloppy seconds. I am thrilled when I get half the year-end bonus that I want. My day is complete when I mowed only half the lawn. My favorite TV show ever was the one I stopped watching halfway. 

The soft acceptance of low expectations related to success in the sports world and Life beyond is really something remarkable.

We take all this time to cheer for a team that means so much to us but in the end we mean nothing to any of them.. and we're okay on the sidelines just because we get to stand on the sidelines. Hell, we're in the bleachers. 

This isn't personal against anyone person, but we're in the bleachers. We have nothing to do with the team our takes are often wildly inaccurate. Our logic is often based 99% on hindsight. So when we find acceptance that our team is only getting part of the way there, I guess it's all how you view things. 

In the end I could give a s*** about any of these people on the team. It's just a fun hobby. But maybe that's just me. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

Cool article and approach.  The typical over the top angry derailment. 

Some folk just live to be upset about some damn thing or another, we see examples of that here on this forum daily, I’ve got to say it’s actually pretty damn funny to read how adamant they are and their serious need to be right, these folk are pure cringe comedy gold…, 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

If your concern is that Diggs would impose his will on the offense I would not share that concern.

I think his teammates would keep him in check if it became obvious that he was only interested in his own agenda. I believe it would be pretty obvious if that's what he was trying to do and I don't believe he'd be able to cow all of his offensive teammates. He would be called out on it IMO.

And that imo, is why he wanted out of Buffalo, he was called out, and imo, it was probably Allen who did it, or at least I hope that was the case, Josh isn’t a pushover, I suspect Josh told Diggs to cool his jets so to speak, Diggs isn’t mature enough to deal constructively with criticism, so…, we are where we are now. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, stevewin said:

Its amazing to me something as inherently positive as getting meaningful feedback from players is getting crapped all over by so many.  

I heard a former player (RG3?) discuss this. His OC told him he wanted him to install a play he liked from his time in college. He said he had never worked so hard on making a play successful. He later figured out that the OC was getting him to buy into the offense. It taught him about what could happen when you do that, so it bled over into his regular prep on other stuff too. It’s not a silver bullet, but it’s a good thing. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/3/2024 at 10:05 AM, Mikey152 said:

Have you ever managed someone?

Leading a group of grown men isn't about making all the decisions and telling them what to do. It is about guiding them to reach their full potential as a group. 

You set the strategy (ie give them an install list for the week) then let them help you determine the playcall sheet based on how they feel install went. There is a big difference between something being a good call on paper, and something being a good call on the field. Recognizing that isn't weak, that's great leadership.

I think a different way to say this is the old truism, "it's not about the X's and the O's, it's about the Jimmies and the Joes"

A play designer can come up with an absolutely brilliant (on paper) call that should work beautifully against the type of defense an opponent statistically favors in certain down and distance situations.  If the play depends upon for rookie Dawson Knox to block Judon 1:1 against the edge - it's quite likely a flawed plan. 

If it depends upon a blocking scheme that their week of film watching suggests to the OL they can win against the personnel and tendencies of their opponent, it's not exactly "cool boy" to gather that input.  It's smart management.

18 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Diggs was on the team last year when Brady adopted this approach, and the team went 6-1 with the 1 L coming down to a FG in OT.

Not sure what is your point?

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

On 9/3/2024 at 9:45 AM, Gugny said:

The whole “anonymity” thing is a disaster waiting to happen.

Be adults. 

Open, honest, direct communication is the most efficient way to come to solutions. 

Unfortunately, that’s frowned upon by the current head coach. 

Just ask Diggs. 

I don't think you have a clue what Diggs and the current head coach had to say, and I don't either, so imma give that a miss.

I think you're missing a point: 

The players aren't anonymous TO EACH OTHER.  They know who supported or spoke against each play.  They have accountability to EACH OTHER.  The reason to be anonymous to the coaches is to avoid concerns for having their career impacted if they speak up freely.

On 8/7/2024 at 8:47 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

We also wont mention that facial recognition, which was also beginning to be a boogie man back in 2019 as well, is easily defeated by... wearing a mask  :bag:

Except that there has been highly accurate facial recognition since 2020 (and only improved since then) that works with...wearing a mask.  

https://www.datasciencecentral.com/sunglasses-and-face-mask-wont-fool-facial-recognition/

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, DrMaxPower said:

Most of the people making a stink seem to be overlooking the fact that they are starting with the plays from Brady's install for the week. They aren't picking random plays out and getting the coach to run them.

I seriously don't get the negativity about this. People think players are robots. They do everything equally well and always perform at 100% effectiveness.

In reality, every player has things they do well or struggle with. Quarterbacks have routes they are more comfortable throwing. Receivers have routes they think they can get open on. If the guard doesn't think he can make his reach block, or cut off a flowing backer on a play, I want to know before I call the play and get blown up. That's before you get to the buy-in it creates. When the coach calls your play, you better make it.

This is not unusual. Lots of coaches have similar practices.

Right, some of the reactions here make it pretty clear that the poster didn't read the article, or even the quoted excerpt.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

22 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

You literally didn't address the point raised above about open communication that fundamentally contradicts what you said earlier in this thread.  I suggest addressing the point that contradicts your conjecture, and I also suggest perhaps reading the piece in full.

You have no idea about this. In a failing situation, most new bosses (rightly) come in early and listen to people to find out what was wrong, and guess what: a lot was wrong with the Bills offensive scheme early last year. It was rote and predictable, and maybe you should listen to the professionals charged with executing the scheme? Where they are the next year is an entirely different situation. Also, listening to Josh Allen, who is genuinely smart, is not a terrible idea.  This is not directed at you, by the way, but I feel like there are a lot of authoritarian personalities in this thread who hate the idea that employees should be able to speak up. 

You realize my friend , that you sound like one of the authoritarian types here dave ?

I know I come off that way in my work place. Thats because I am right and know the correct answers  😋

But I am working on my messaging skills 😇

luv ya

22 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Speaking of terrible analogies

The players are not employees of the OC. They're 20something millionaire athletes whose input is going to be informed by a multitude of factors not necessarily conducive to the OC's offensive goals, like personal statistics/production/ability to self scout/realistic view of their own capabilities

I might suggest , that Mcbeanes have built the Team around intelligent,  aware and " everyone eats " when they play as a whole.

They do not prefer selfish players

I might suggest Diggs as a subject here.

And they are hardly all 20 something millionaires.

Most of the Team are just happy to live their Dream.

Bills are more unique in this i feel. Brotherhood top to bottom

Just my fan opinion though 808

22 hours ago, Avisan said:

I, for one, am absolutely shocked that the Venn Diagram of people who have a problem with this approach and people who apparently think they can beat up Sean McDermott is a circle.

You get huge bonus points for this post !

Duly impressed , color me.

11 hours ago, boyst said:

I always love second place. I always get joy looking up at the prom queen sitting next to sloppy seconds. I am thrilled when I get half the year-end bonus that I want. My day is complete when I mowed only half the lawn. My favorite TV show ever was the one I stopped watching halfway. 

The soft acceptance of low expectations related to success in the sports world and Life beyond is really something remarkable.

We take all this time to cheer for a team that means so much to us but in the end we mean nothing to any of them.. and we're okay on the sidelines just because we get to stand on the sidelines. Hell, we're in the bleachers. 

This isn't personal against anyone person, but we're in the bleachers. We have nothing to do with the team our takes are often wildly inaccurate. Our logic is often based 99% on hindsight. So when we find acceptance that our team is only getting part of the way there, I guess it's all how you view things. 

In the end I could give a s*** about any of these people on the team. It's just a fun hobby. But maybe that's just me. 

so you are considering Buddhism finally !
 The fun kind where none of this really matters , so have fun gdammit

• Haha (+1) 1