informative Athletic article on how Joe Brady transformed the Bills' offensive approach

dave mcbride

Vince Lombardi didn’t win NFL Championships and Super Bowls by asking Jim Ringo if he felt comfortable running the power sweep. 

And Jim Ringo brought that same approach as head coach of the Bills when………never mind. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Mikey152 said:

Have you ever managed someone?

Leading a group of grown men isn't about making all the decisions and telling them what to do. It is about guiding them to reach their full potential as a group. 

You set the strategy (ie give them an install list for the week) then let them help you determine the playcall sheet based on how they feel install went. There is a big difference between something being a good call on paper, and something being a good call on the field. Recognizing that isn't weak, that's great leadership.

yes. many times.

these are grown men football players. it's much different than just managing people. the team is led by coaches, not managers. if this was a silly wannabe sport like soccer or baseball, then yes: managers.

but this is a real sport. like wreslting.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Putting your feet up while the players try to come up w game plans is not an approach

Honestly, I suggest reading the whole piece because there's a lot more in it and I feel like you're basing your reaction on just the clip I included.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

The whole “anonymity” thing is a disaster waiting to happen.

Be adults. 

Open, honest, direct communication is the most efficient way to come to solutions. 

Unfortunately, that’s frowned upon by the current head coach. 

Just ask Diggs. 

I suggest reading the entire piece, which undercuts the point you're trying to make here.

'Players say engagement is up throughout the week because of Brady’s approach. Each time the Bills practice a play, they analyze it in real-time, taking mental notes to share on Friday. They don’t simply slog through the coach’s daily checklist of demands.

Inclusivity isn’t limited to two days before the game. Throughout the week under Dorsey, positional unit meetings were often fragmented. Brady endeavored to bring the players together in larger meetings so they could exchange ideas directly instead of leaving them in their silos.

“We’re a lot more comfortable,” McGovern said. “Brady placed a huge emphasis on communication. There were times last year when maybe the five of us O-linemen might be on the same page, but Jimmy (Cook) or the tight end might see something different. We might be running mid-zone to the right, and the tight end’s footwork might be for inside zone.

“Now, when we do run installs, everyone’s together, so they know where the mike point is, where Jimmy’s thinking about a cutback point maybe or how he’s going to read it. That’s a big difference from last year.”'

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Honestly, I suggest reading the whole piece because there's a lot more in it and I feel like you're basing your reaction on just the clip I included.

I suggest reading the entire piece, which undercuts the point you're trying to make here.

'Players say engagement is up throughout the week because of Brady’s approach. Each time the Bills practice a play, they analyze it in real-time, taking mental notes to share on Friday. They don’t simply slog through the coach’s daily checklist of demands.

Inclusivity isn’t limited to two days before the game. Throughout the week under Dorsey, positional unit meetings were often fragmented. Brady endeavored to bring the players together in larger meetings so they could exchange ideas directly instead of leaving them in their silos.

“We’re a lot more comfortable,” McGovern said. “Brady placed a huge emphasis on communication. There were times last year when maybe the five of us O-linemen might be on the same page, but Jimmy (Cook) or the tight end might see something different. We might be running mid-zone to the right, and the tight end’s footwork might be for inside zone.

“Now, when we do run installs, everyone’s together, so they know where the mike point is, where Jimmy’s thinking about a cutback point maybe or how he’s going to read it. That’s a big difference from last year.”'

I got the gist of it

I'm glad they're feeling comfortable. I hope it pays dividends in better offensive production this season because it certainly didn't last year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

26 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

It was the players who voted out Dorsey in the players only meeting. 

1 hour ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Andy Reid has a similar approach.  How has he fared?

Until he got Mahomes and Kelce? About as good as McDermott. 

58 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

But isn’t Brady still the one who decides when and in what particular order said plays are called in game? In that sense he’s still the ultimate decision maker, picking his spots with the knowledge that his players are confident they can execute said plays on command, imho. 

Long term we don't know. But Josh gets to have the final say on the line. It could really play an interesting theme if we struggle   

Can't argue with the results. The offense rebounded under Brady and was the biggest reason they successfully completed the playoffs push. Masterful coaching job by McD to turn the team around mid-season from 6-6 to a missed FG away from beating the SB champs.

The players say they were "fragmented" during the week and that's also one of the best words to describe how they looked under Dorsey on Sundays. Just fragmented all the time. No cohesion and no real identity.

• Agree 1

I like the idea of it, will have to wait to see the results.

Brady is picking all of the plays he likes that week for the opponent, and then has the players go through and pick the ones they feel they can execute best. Seems like an obvious idea, but it should help players take ownership and be more engaged in the process, while still giving Brady the control as he calls the plays and he picked the plays really to begin with.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

Vince Lombardi didn’t win NFL Championships and Super Bowls by asking Jim Ringo if he felt comfortable running the power sweep. 

And Jim Ringo brought that same approach as head coach of the Bills when………never mind. 

Because managing people 50 years ago is obviously the same as managing people today....

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

Because managing people 50 years ago is obviously the same as managing people today....

Apparently you don’t know about Ringo’s stellar record as the Bills’ head coach. 

• Haha (+1) 1

There are obviously limits to leading through democracy but if you can give the impression you are while actually maintaining control that tends to generate better buy in and long term results. Also when you read the full article I think a key part of the approach is he is giving Josh ownership. Josh runs the Friday players only session and presents the findings back to Joe. It is interesting given some of the smoke this offseason about the top brass in the organisation wanting Josh to take more ownership of the team. 

It doesn't mean anything one way or another in terms of performance. Good gameplans and good execution are what matter. If this delivers it the Bills offense will cook, if it doesn't then the new approach will not make a blind bit of difference. 

37 minutes ago, boyst said:

It was the players who voted out Dorsey in the players only meeting. 

I haven't heard that but it doesn't surprise me. I said it earlier this offseason they looked miserable as f*** playing under him. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Apparently you don’t know about Ringo’s stellar record as the Bills’ head coach. 

And what does that have to do with management styles in 2024?

Regurgitating past success or failures is meaningless because what worked in 1965 and what didn't work in 1978 aren't relevant points.  The workforce has changed. 

• Like (+1) 2

Im torn. I love the player feedback and maybe its just because I am old school, Who cares what players like?  Brady has a system, they need to learn and execute every play they can in that system. If they arent good enough, then work your arse off and get better.  We can't keep running the same plays over and over because players like them or don't like or feel comfortable with other plays.

" But Josh needs to be comfortable" Bull ****. He is an NFL QB he should be able to execute just about every possible play thats called.  

• Vomit 1

48 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

And what does that have to do with management styles in 2024?

Regurgitating past success or failures is meaningless because what worked in 1965 and what didn't work in 1978 aren't relevant points.  The workforce has changed. 

Why so serious?  Relax and enjoy the ride man.
You must not get sarcasm.  

Lombardi was a “my way or the highway” coach. Ringo played under him. When Ringo became the Bills head coach, that style failed miserably, and it was only 10-15 years after Lombardi. So it’s an example of how coaching techniques that were effective at one time have to change to keep up with changes in society and how people are motivated. 

Edited by WotAGuy
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Putting your feet up while the players try to come up w game plans is not an approach

It's called due diligence.  

The collective intelligence of the entire offensive coaching staff and roster and is more than the individual intelligence of any OC.  Reid says he's gotten plays from janitors.  You want your OC to seek out knowledge and get players to share insights and observations.  And you want the team to feel committed - they'll commit more when they helped build the plan.   

No one said that Brady is letting the players dictate the game plan.  He's asking for their input.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Why so serious?  Relax and enjoy the ride man.
You must not get sarcasm.  

Lombardi was a “my way or the highway” coach. Ringo played under him. When Ringo became the Bills head coach, that style failed miserably, and it was only 10-15 years after Lombardi. So it’s an example of how coaching techniques that were effective at one time have to change to keep up with changes in society and how people are motivated. 

My bad. Rough day at work n didn't catch the sarcasm 

• Like (+1) 3

It's great Brady did this, but perhaps seeing Dorseys "faults" helped alot.

Dorsey had way too much variety, inconsistency, and just overall stubbornness in how he directed the offense.  

It's good to have balance, in all aspects of life as they say.  I have a lot of faith in Joe putting together great gameplans and having rhythm with his playcalling on gamedays.

Is he a top tier OC in the NFL?  We will see this season. But I'm very confident he will be a clear upgrade to Dorsey, and be better than his 2023 self, when he inherited Dorseys scheme and zero offseason to work his designs/bring in players that fit his offenses mold.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

There are obviously limits to leading through democracy but if you can give the impression you are while actually maintaining control that tends to generate better buy in and long term results. Also when you read the full article I think a key part of the approach is he is giving Josh ownership. Josh runs the Friday players only session and presents the findings back to Joe. It is interesting given some of the smoke this offseason about the top brass in the organisation wanting Josh to take more ownership of the team. 

It doesn't mean anything one way or another in terms of performance. Good gameplans and good execution are what matter. If this delivers it the Bills offense will cook, if it doesn't then the new approach will not make a blind bit of difference. 

I haven't heard that but it doesn't surprise me. I said it earlier this offseason they looked miserable as f*** playing under him. 

sent you a message

feel free to share any of that you'd like in  your own way

Edited by boyst

I'm betting a lot of the highly regarded offensive head coaches employ a similar style and see a lot of positive feedback. Reid got some play from a Janitor once, being open to ideas and listening to critical feedback is almost always a good thing. 

I'll never have the ego of a NFL coach, but it seems like a good thing that Brady is actively trying to check his and realize that the guys executing the plays might have some good feedback on what works. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

33 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

It's called due diligence.  

The collective intelligence of the entire offensive coaching staff and roster and is more than the individual intelligence of any OC.  Reid says he's gotten plays from janitors.  You want your OC to seek out knowledge and get players to share insights and observations.  And you want the team to feel committed - they'll commit more when they helped build the plan.   

No one said that Brady is letting the players dictate the game plan.  He's asking for their input.  

No

Due diligence would be conducted by an impartial independent third party. This is like hiring the owners to do an inspection of the house you're about to buy

• Vomit 1