Here we go again with TV contract dispute

SoMAn

People have libraries of every movie ever made.  Every song ever published. We can watch every NFL game. We can watch every match at the US open. The golfer or hole our choice at major golf tournaments 

But chuckle heads think all of this used to be available but free. What was free was three to 12 channels showing reruns 70 percent of then time. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

ABC and ESPN are all working for me on YTTV.  From what I've read the issues is only with Direct TV and it's streaming platform.  This article even kind of suggests switching to YTTV to avoid issue.

One of the things I've even been thinking about is seems YTTV rarely has these disputes like the other providers do.  Makes me wonder if the providers are afraid of Google and don't want to get on their bad side as feel Google has to much power to hurt them in other ways?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2024/09/02/youtube-tv-how-to-watch-disney-directv-dispute-espn/75048606007/

It sounds typical of ATT.  Back in the day, we used ATT Uverse.  they had a habit of knocking off channels like NFLN and replacing them with an infomercial channel. We lost things like NFLN, then local channels, networks, then other of the higher priced channels , again, replaced with infomercial or shopping channels.  (to keep the same number of channels in the "package" you had.)  Of course, the cost of their monthly service kept rising.

At the time, I'd go on their website and read the complaints.   It was always the same response from ATT, under the guise of a "non-employee advisor":

-they had a legal right to do so;

-is the fault of the greedy  content providers;

-quit complaining.

I only bring this up because at the time, ATT had purchased DTV recently. There were lots of DTV subscribers who complained that programming and service had dropped off substantially since ATT took over.  it sounds like they haven't changed.

We dumped them years ago.  don't miss them. 

17 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

People still use satellite dishes to watch TV?

Move to a location that has cable service?

The irony....after this topic was discussed yesterday.....when I got home in the afternoon I discovered our AT&T internet service was down. It still is.

We believe it's the ONT box that connects the fiber optic cable to the modem that's (as they say in Buffalo) 'on the fritz'. 

So, to that point, glad I still have Directv, otherwise we'd have been without TV altogether until an AT&T tech can show up, hopefully this afternoon. Sure, in a pinch we could go cell service from the phone and mirror to the TV, but it's cumbersome and my wife can barely work the remote controls for regular everyday function. 😉

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, ddaryl said:

Beyond annoying... I've hit the wall. I'm tired of jumping though multiple hoops just to watch Bills games on TV. 

If it's not on here in VA or a prime time game, I find a stream online. You can either videocast it to the TV or watch it on your preferred device. Simple and easy. They, these cable/streaming companies, bleed me enough as it is. I'm not paying for anything else. 

Edited by H2o

7 hours ago, CookieG said:

It sounds typical of ATT.  Back in the day, we used ATT Uverse.  they had a habit of knocking off channels like NFLN and replacing them with an infomercial channel. We lost things like NFLN, then local channels, networks, then other of the higher priced channels , again, replaced with infomercial or shopping channels.  (to keep the same number of channels in the "package" you had.)  Of course, the cost of their monthly service kept rising.

At the time, I'd go on their website and read the complaints.   It was always the same response from ATT, under the guise of a "non-employee advisor":

-they had a legal right to do so;

-is the fault of the greedy  content providers;

-quit complaining.

I only bring this up because at the time, ATT had purchased DTV recently. There were lots of DTV subscribers who complained that programming and service had dropped off substantially since ATT took over.  it sounds like they haven't changed.

We dumped them years ago.  don't miss them. 

The other thing that I felt I saw happen was once ATT bought DTV, they told them you can't keep giving ST out for free to so many people like you were or even DTV discounts were harder to come by.  Some still got it free, but it took more effort and often wasn't as good of a deal as prior, maybe just a discount instead of free.

15 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

The other thing that I felt I saw happen was once ATT bought DTV, they told them you can't keep giving ST out for free to so many people like you were or even DTV discounts were harder to come by.  Some still got it free, but it took more effort and often wasn't as good of a deal as prior, maybe just a discount instead of free.

My son and I split the cost of ST now and the cost of YTTV during the season.  Even without a discount, the amount saved on not carrying DTV more than makes up for it.  Yeah, you can "share" legally with YTTV.  The "no contract" on YTTV makes it so much easier to cancel or suspend an account for a while.  I don't watch it as much during the offseason and he rarely uses it, so he cancelled it for about 4-6 months in the offseason. 

I love the multiview on YTTV.  And according to the article you posted, you can now customize the games you have on multiview.  4 games at once, esp. important during commercials during the games.

25 minutes ago, CookieG said:

My son and I split the cost of ST now and the cost of YTTV during the season.  Even without a discount, the amount saved on not carrying DTV more than makes up for it.  Yeah, you can "share" legally with YTTV.  The "no contract" on YTTV makes it so much easier to cancel or suspend an account for a while.  I don't watch it as much during the offseason and he rarely uses it, so he cancelled it for about 4-6 months in the offseason. 

I love the multiview on YTTV.  And according to the article you posted, you can now customize the games you have on multiview.  4 games at once, esp. important during commercials during the games.

Hmm I missed that part about being able to customize multi view.  That was my one gripe last season.  Good to know.  I have two houses so I'm able to use YTTV in both locations, saves me from paying for a Spectrum type service in two locations.  In my main location my primary viewing is a TIVO DVR connected to an antenna.  I just use YTTV for viewing non over the air stuff like ESPN, etc. admittedly don't use it much overall. 

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

@nucci says "Hold my beer."

Edited by Ned Flanders
  • Haha (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...

I could not find the Eagles/Packers to save my life.

I have:

YouTubeTv

Peacock Premium 

EVERYTHING I HAVE IS PREMIUM…Paramount, PBS Passport, I got it all baby! ESPN+, Disney+ Discovery+, MAX+, 

the pointless YouTubeTV 4K package..

Of course it’s out of control. Everything in this country is allowed to get out of control. Greed is gonna kill us from on high. And all us plebs are watching them do it to us personally. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/3/2024 at 10:57 AM, Mr. WEO said:

People still use satellite dishes to watch TV?

Move to a location that has cable service?

Have to laugh, in the early 90’s I had one of the old ten foot satellite dishes, then all games were on and for free. Not only that I received Empire Sports Paul Maguire Show and most NHL, NBA, and MBL for free, it was a great five year run, had cable but did not use it for sports.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

I could not find the Eagles/Packers to save my life.

I have:

YouTubeTv

Peacock Premium 

EVERYTHING I HAVE IS PREMIUM…Paramount, PBS Passport, I got it all baby! ESPN+, Disney+ Discovery+, MAX+, 

the pointless YouTubeTV 4K package..

Of course it’s out of control. Everything in this country is allowed to get out of control. Greed is gonna kill us from on high. And all us plebs are watching them do it to us personally. 

Eagles/Packers was a Peacock exclusive game.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Eagles/Packers was a Peacock exclusive game.

I really don’t know what exclusive is 

43 minutes ago, amprov56 said:

Have to laugh, in the early 90’s I had one of the old ten foot satellite dishes, then all games were on and for free. Not only that I received Empire Sports Paul Maguire Show and most NHL, NBA, and MBL for free, it was a great five year run, had cable but did not use it for sports.

Us regulars thought you were looking for Aliens. 

Bottom line I blame the money hungry, greedy NFL. But it's supply and demand that's what they can get from the networks. The networks pass it on to the consumers. Will it reach a point where the consumers stop subscribing? Doubtful.

Edited by Radar
  • Agree 1