Here we go again with TV contract dispute

SoMAn

2 hours ago, Augie said:

They pulled our NBC affiliates in the last year, and it took a couple months to get worked out. It seems it’s happening more and more. I missed Jess Pegula at the US Open yesterday and FSU last night thanks to Disney. This is getting out of control. 

Yup, I too have DTV and am somewhat satisfied but I'm praying this contract dispute ends like most.  Usually resolved in 10-14 days and choosing this time as leverage. Anything beyond 2 weeks will be a problem. 

2 hours ago, SoMAn said:

All the stations that fall under the Disney umbrella have now pulled the plug on Directv pending a resolution with a new contract. That includes ABC, Hulu, and ESPN.  It seems we go through this every year around football season with one of the cable or satellite carriers.  

I've had Directv since the mid-90's, retaining it after they no longer carry the NFL Sunday Ticket.

Unlike some of you, I truly like their functionality, service, pricing, and accessibility to real people in Customer Service.

Because of access to actual human beings in Customer Service, I've been able to negotiate phenomenal monthly service pricing and credits. For the past year I've paid $61/month for 3 TVs, Genie, MAX, and damage coverage. For the 5 years (or more) prior to Youtube winning NFLST contract, I was able to get the package either free, or greatly reduced with credits. So, don't give me a speech about how much you hate DTV.  It's worked for me. 

So now, for the first time in years, I've bit the bullet and paying full discounted price for the ticket with Youtube. Ready to sit and enjoy (hopefully) all the Bills games in the comfort of my living room. 

Hold on!  Now Disney has pulled their channels. There are 2 Monday Night ESPN games in less than 6 weeks featuring the Bills. Thinking I was covered for viewing my Bills, I may have to find another way to see those games if the dispute isn't resolved soon. In all honesty, other than those 2 games, I can't think of another program on any of their channels I want to watch.

We're being forced to buy Peacock, Netflix, the NFL Ticket, Paramount, etc. just to see the games we want to watch. 

It's getting out of hand. 

Hope everything works out for you and all the other people that are getting jerked around.
 That’s a big reason I watch the games as reruns/ extended highlights for free, or watch the games at sports bars or  check the GDT, which is a ***** show most of the time 🤣, and those guys never say what the score is…, jerks, lol,  yes it’s not the same as watching live, but it pays for my bar bill, 🤣🍸🚬

2 hours ago, Augie said:

HA! Just as I typed this I got a survey from DirecTV so it was a perfect opportunity to share what I thought of them and their (lack of) service. 

I just received a notification from them offering a one time $20 credit for the inconvenience caused during this dispute. I’ll take it. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

I just received a notification from them offering a one time $20 credit for the inconvenience caused during this dispute. I’ll take it. 

It seems they are actively trying to do some damage control and a little self scouting. That’s the least we should expect. 

But I won’t hold my breath waiting for anything to actually get better. 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

People still use satellite dishes to watch TV?

Move to a location that has cable service?

I understand that but cable services and dish tv do it as well... my point is there has to be a better way for the service providers to resolve differences and continue programming other than threatening loss of service and making the play to get them to switch providers for what seems like every year. Thats all 

Edited by JP51

1 minute ago, Gregg said:

Up until last season it was the best thing to get because of the Sunday Ticket. Now not so much.

I got DTV Satellite a quarter century ago to see Bills games on Sunday ticket. I still have the dish with a bare bones package of channels plus DTV Streaming for every day use. The streaming goes out from time to time, so now the dish is just for emergencies. A little redundancy isn’t the end of the world. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, JP51 said:

I understand that but cable services and dish tv do it as well... my point is there has to be a better way for the service providers to resolve differences and continue programming other than threatening loss of service and making the play to get them to switch providers for what seems like every year. Thats all 

It's a business.  they each blame the other.  in the end, it gets settled.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

It's a business.  they each blame the other.  in the end, it gets settled.

exactly... its just the stress the put on people... not so much me as I have other ways to watch but it just gets annoying each year .... but like you said, its a business and it will do what it will do... 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SoMAn said:

All the stations that fall under the Disney umbrella have now pulled the plug on Directv pending a resolution with a new contract. That includes ABC, Hulu, and ESPN.  It seems we go through this every year around football season with one of the cable or satellite carriers.  

I've had Directv since the mid-90's, retaining it after they no longer carry the NFL Sunday Ticket.

Unlike some of you, I truly like their functionality, service, pricing, and accessibility to real people in Customer Service.

Because of access to actual human beings in Customer Service, I've been able to negotiate phenomenal monthly service pricing and credits. For the past year I've paid $61/month for 3 TVs, Genie, MAX, and damage coverage. For the 5 years (or more) prior to Youtube winning NFLST contract, I was able to get the package either free, or greatly reduced with credits. So, don't give me a speech about how much you hate DTV.  It's worked for me. 

So now, for the first time in years, I've bit the bullet and paying full discounted price for the ticket with Youtube. Ready to sit and enjoy (hopefully) all the Bills games in the comfort of my living room. 

Hold on!  Now Disney has pulled their channels. There are 2 Monday Night ESPN games in less than 6 weeks featuring the Bills. Thinking I was covered for viewing my Bills, I may have to find another way to see those games if the dispute isn't resolved soon. In all honesty, other than those 2 games, I can't think of another program on any of their channels I want to watch.

We're being forced to buy Peacock, Netflix, the NFL Ticket, Paramount, etc. just to see the games we want to watch. 

ABC and ESPN are all working for me on YTTV.  From what I've read the issues is only with Direct TV and it's streaming platform.  This article even kind of suggests switching to YTTV to avoid issue.

One of the things I've even been thinking about is seems YTTV rarely has these disputes like the other providers do.  Makes me wonder if the providers are afraid of Google and don't want to get on their bad side as feel Google has to much power to hurt them in other ways?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2024/09/02/youtube-tv-how-to-watch-disney-directv-dispute-espn/75048606007/

15 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

ABC and ESPN are all working for me on YTTV.  From what I've read the issues is only with Direct TV and it's streaming platform.  This article even kind of suggests switching to YTTV to avoid issue.

One of the things I've even been thinking about is seems YTTV rarely has these disputes like the other providers do.  Makes me wonder if the providers are afraid of Google and don't want to get on their bad side as feel Google has to much power to hurt them in other ways?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2024/09/02/youtube-tv-how-to-watch-disney-directv-dispute-espn/75048606007/

I agree and also have YTTV but they also do not have MLB and NHL networks due to cost

27 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

One of the things I've even been thinking about is seems YTTV rarely has these disputes like the other providers do.  

In early 2023, about two weeks after I signed up with YTTV, they dropped MLB Network...that really got my dander up, because when I signed up with them, I knew I was losing MASN on DTV but figured I'd get my seamhead fix from MLBN.  I read one time that MLB charges about 39 cents per subscriber, a mere pittance of what the World Wide Leader charges.  Still upset about MLBN but YTTV has been pretty solid in the coming up on two years that I've had them. 

• Agree 1

I was a directv customer for 11 years. Even after the ticket went to YouTube I planned to stay with dtv, but they wouldn't budge on their price. I had a mid tier package and it was close to $200 a month. They wouldn't budge, so I couldn't refuse YouTube TV at $73 a month. Even paying full price for the ticket (which I didn't cuz I used my nephews student discount) it would've been cheaper than directv. I honestly don't miss dtv. It's actually nice not having the cable box and all the wires. I don't think I could ever go back at this point

5 hours ago, SoMAn said:

It really does suck. I can't even watch Alabama games at home until they fix this and the sports bars all use directv. I already told my daughter that if this doesn't get fixed I'm going to invade her house. 

The problem is, I won't be able to perform my pre-game rituals. :( 

Customers have to buy packages including many stations they do not want to stations they want and when providers whether it is DTV, Comcast, Verizon, etc.  withhold channels they are not reducing bills,  IMO US Congress needs to require providers who do not carry stations they have under contract when customers sign contract need proportionally discount monthly cost so they are not collecting extra money during these negotiations.