Here we go again with TV contract dispute

SoMAn

All the stations that fall under the Disney umbrella have now pulled the plug on Directv pending a resolution with a new contract. That includes ABC, Hulu, and ESPN.  It seems we go through this every year around football season with one of the cable or satellite carriers.  

I've had Directv since the mid-90's, retaining it after they no longer carry the NFL Sunday Ticket.

Unlike some of you, I truly like their functionality, service, pricing, and accessibility to real people in Customer Service.

Because of access to actual human beings in Customer Service, I've been able to negotiate phenomenal monthly service pricing and credits. For the past year I've paid $61/month for 3 TVs, Genie, MAX, and damage coverage. For the 5 years (or more) prior to Youtube winning NFLST contract, I was able to get the package either free, or greatly reduced with credits. So, don't give me a speech about how much you hate DTV.  It's worked for me. 

So now, for the first time in years, I've bit the bullet and paying full discounted price for the ticket with Youtube. Ready to sit and enjoy (hopefully) all the Bills games in the comfort of my living room. 

Hold on!  Now Disney has pulled their channels. There are 2 Monday Night ESPN games in less than 6 weeks featuring the Bills. Thinking I was covered for viewing my Bills, I may have to find another way to see those games if the dispute isn't resolved soon. In all honesty, other than those 2 games, I can't think of another program on any of their channels I want to watch.

We're being forced to buy Amazon Prime, Peacock, Netflix, the NFL Ticket, Paramount, etc. just to see the games we want to watch. 

It's getting out of hand. 

Edited by SoMAn
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

In recent memory, these disputes almost always get settled prior to the first NFL game. There’s a reason they pull the plug just prior to the season, it gives them the most negotiating power. Directv knows they really don’t have an option to allow ESPN to stay dark for more than 5 more days. 

They pulled our NBC affiliates in the last year, and it took a couple months to get worked out. It seems it’s happening more and more. I missed Jess Pegula at the US Open yesterday and FSU last night thanks to Disney. This is getting out of control. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

20 minutes ago, JP51 said:

I hate how they play these games at the expense of the viewer... its annoying. 

Beyond annoying... I've hit the wall. I'm tired of jumping though multiple hoops just to watch Bills games on TV. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Beyond annoying... I've hit the wall. I'm tired of jumping though multiple hoops just to watch Bills games on TV. 

I know there has got to be a better way to do this. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Augie said:

They pulled our NBC affiliates in the last year, and it took a couple months to get worked out. It seems it’s happening more and more. I missed Jess Pegula at the US Open yesterday and FSU last night thanks to Disney. This is getting out of control. 

HA! Just as I typed this I got a survey from DirecTV so it was a perfect opportunity to share what I thought of them and their (lack of) service. 

• Like (+1) 1

It's very annoying but the league/networks don't care as long as they make money. We had to go to a bar to watch the Chiefs-Dolphins playoff game last year since it wasn't on regular tv. Will have to do the same for Friday's Eagles-Packers game. 

21 minutes ago, Gregg said:

It's very annoying but the league/networks don't care as long as they make money. We had to go to a bar to watch the Chiefs-Dolphins playoff game last year since it wasn't on regular tv. Will have to do the same for Friday's Eagles-Packers game. 

On the bright side, you must go to the bar, it’s outta your control…    “nothing I can do about honey, see ya in 4 hours”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Long since maxed out on outrage on this general topic of streaming/a la carte services/mega conglomerates sniping at each other. This board has long ago had one too many posts of people who love their <insert whatever service du jure here> and are content to pay whatever highway robbery they demand. You literally have gotten what you've paid for. 

Netflix set the standard by increasing their prices almost 100% in a decade with most of that coming during the pandemic. Then, when they had a slight dip in subscribers post-pandemic, they raised prices again. Then just to pile on, they wanted to charge you for allowing your own family to watch with your login out of town. And for some reason, people played ball instead of cancelling en masse. 

Then Disney is following the same exact business model, and everyone is surprised about it. The NFL sent up a test balloon with Peacock and we all used the free trial to watch it, but some forgot to cancel so NBC made money. They said "gotcha" and now every streaming service is in on the bait and switch tactic. Watch Walmart+ will have a playoff exclusive game next year and you won't be able to watch preseason without at least Silver status ChickFila rewards app. 

1 hour ago, PetermansRedemption said:

In recent memory, these disputes almost always get settled prior to the first NFL game. There’s a reason they pull the plug just prior to the season, it gives them the most negotiating power. Directv knows they really don’t have an option to allow ESPN to stay dark for more than 5 more days. 

Almost a year ago DIsney had a similar dispute with Spectrum and it lasted two weeks, it started August 31, 2023 and ended September 11, 2023.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney–Charter_Communications_dispute

50 minutes ago, julian said:

On the bright side, you must go to the bar, it’s outta your control…    “nothing I can do about honey, see ya in 4 hours”

I went to a bar yesterday for the US Open at lunch. They didn’t have it either.  Nor did the have rolls for my beef on weck. I struck out. 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

The good news is they've been putting the best Monday Night Football games on ABC. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere, it's easy to go to the store of your choice, get an indoor digital antenna, change the input to TV & get any over the air station on your TV.  A while ago, Verizon cut off our ABC station in a dispute with the station's owners & I set up one of my TVs so that I can switch the input from cable to TV & I don't have to worry about losing any over the air stations. 

8 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

This is capitalism. We all asked for more access well this is the price you pay. This is their peak of negotiating leverage so they are using it. 

Customers caught up in the middle.

As others have said, it usually gets resolved before the week is over

Agree. It's still feels like the NFL is sticking it to their most loyal fan base.

But, to your point, I agree - capitalism and the free market does work. The reality is that we have the ability to receive all the games we want as long as we're willing to pay for them in some fashion - even if it means multiple subscriptions.

As I've stated before, it's not that many years ago that streaming and home satellite wasn't an option. We were limited to whatever games were being broadcast on our local networks that weekend. For me,, and many others, it's worth it to pay to be able to watch every game of our team. It just seems that the NFL is pushing us to the limit.

They are masters at understanding their market value and generating revenue.

4 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

Agree. It's still feels like the NFL is sticking it to their most loyal fan base.

But, to your point, I agree - capitalism and the free market does work. The reality is that we have the ability to receive all the games we want as long as we're willing to pay for them in some fashion - even if it means multiple subscriptions.

As I've stated before, it's not that many years ago that streaming and home satellite wasn't an option. We were limited to whatever games were being broadcast on our local networks that weekend. For me,, and many others, it's worth it to pay to be able to watch every game of our team. It just seems that the NFL is pushing us to the limit.

They are masters at understanding their market value and generating revenue.

how is this on the NFL?  Your OP says it's a dispute between DTV and Disney. 

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

how is this on the NFL?  Your OP says it's a dispute between DTV and Disney. 

True. Good point. I was probably getting off topic venting about the NFL spreading themselves over multiple outlets, forcing some fans into subscriptions they'd only need for very limited use.

I'm pretty sure the viewers of NFL and college ball will be the loudest consumer voices that force their hand.

And maybe few kids who need to watch their Disney programming.

• Like (+1) 1