Cap moves this week?

GrimboG

Folks on here know way more that I do about all these Cap gyrations, but geez this is complicated. Somehow, something seems to be way out of whack in the modern NFL. Way too much invested in certain players and then the rest of the roster, and the Front Office is left to juggle the scraps that fall from the table. It all seems very disfunctional. 

3 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Paying 2.64m to keep those players on IR instead of releasing them is kinda baffling though. 

I'm not sure they have a choice if the player is injured during training camp.  It's either that or an injury settlement like they did with Claypool.  One other note is that by keeping them on season long IR they control the player if they have an interest in the player beyond this season.

55 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I'm aware of that. And I admit, I'm not 100% sure of the cap ramifications of an Injury Settlement. I'm just going off of the tweet that said it cost them 2.46m to IR rather than releasing them. 

If it were the same amount of cap or close to it to do an Injury Settlement Release, than it makes more sense to me. But if it's 2.46 more to keep them, keeping anyone but Clayton from that list is a little head scratching to me.

Obviously. That doesn't change my opinion that it's unnecessary though. Especially Delaney AND Burgess.

Your point is valid, but as you said, you don't know the cap ramifications (neither do I).

But Beane and his staff do.  I'm sure they didn't waste 2.5m, but going to guess that a decent amount would have been dead money.  Evans is worth holding onto IMO.

Re: Evans as RB5 comment that you made.  I think that depends on which RB got injured, but still partial to Evans as RB4.  Evans replaces the Cook/Ty skillset.  Gore does the same for Ray Davis, only to an extent.  Pass blocking is not Gores strong-suit.  Evans is more capable IMO as RB4

Edited by MasterStrategist
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I'm aware of that. And I admit, I'm not 100% sure of the cap ramifications of an Injury Settlement. I'm just going off of the tweet that said it cost them 2.46m to IR rather than releasing them. 

If it were the same amount of cap or close to it to do an Injury Settlement Release, than it makes more sense to me. But if it's 2.46 more to keep them, keeping anyone but Clayton from that list is a little head scratching to me.

So here’s how an injury settlement works in the NFL:

- a player under contract who gets injured in practice, game, other organized team activity or in the team facility doing team related workout, etc. is entitled to be paid their salary while injured. they can’t be cut until they can pass a physical. if they go on IR for the season, then they get paid for the whole season. 

- an alternative to the above is that it the team and player/agent agrees to an injury settlement where the player is paid a portion of their year’s salary. the player immediately becomes a FA. 

- the player may then sign with any of the other 31 teams as soon as they can (usually this means passing a physical). the team they have the agreement with may not re-sign them until the number of games they have been paid for under the settlement plus three weeks has passed.

So the injury settlement is just a way for a player who is trying to prove themselves in the NFL to not have to sit out a whole season because they get hurt in camp. This is why Claypool agreed to one. He’s trying to stick. The team gets to save a little money/cap in the process.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, GrimboG said:

Thanks!  A timely update. It seems to make more sense to squeeze a bit from these guys than push any of Von's money further down the line. 

I'd like to say goodbye to Von and Knox next year. Their contracts don't justify their production.

• Eyeroll 1

16 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

No idea why so much hate for this comment. I 100% think this is a real possibility. Our safties suck balls and is the weakest part of our roster. Hamlin and Rapp are heat seeking missiles with no coverage sense and Bishop is an undersized rookie. Hyde in the playoffs well rested would be great 

I think there is a chance for sure that we see Hyde somewhere after October/Nov if we are in playoff contention and there are injuries...  much like Klein and Norman last year. 

18 minutes ago, JP51 said:

I think there is a chance for sure that we see Hyde somewhere after October/Nov if we are in playoff contention and there are injuries...  much like Klein and Norman last year. 

I'd embrace that scenario. The idea of Hamlin playing starting FS all season terrifies me.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'd embrace that scenario. The idea of Hamlin playing starting FS all season terrifies me.

I think in general the lack of continuity and ability terrifies me. I suspect that our safety play was so stable it enhanced both our CBs and LBs. I am fearful that will not be as robust. As far as Hamlin, love him for who he is, as a safety honestly not so much. 

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'd like to say goodbye to Von and Knox next year. Their contracts don't justify their production.

Von is as good as gone next offseason. His contract was structured to effectively be a 3 year deal. Expect him to be cut with a 6/2 designation.

Knox’s contract was reworked this offseason. He reduced it by $4.5M total to acquire additional guarantees of $17M. Included is a partial guarantee of his 2025 salary. So he almost certainly will be here in 2025. That gives the Bills some time to find his replacement if Kincaid can’t fill the inline role by then or if the team does not want him to do that. 

9 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Von is as good as gone next offseason. His contract was structured to effectively be a 3 year deal. Expect him to be cut with a 6/2 designation.

Knox’s contract was reworked this offseason. He reduced it by $4.5M total to acquire additional guarantees of $17M. Included is a partial guarantee of his 2025 salary. So he almost certainly will be here in 2025. That gives the Bills some time to find his replacement if Kincaid can’t fill the inline role by then or if the team does not want him to do that. 

I think there is a scenario where Von sticks around for another season. If he proves to be a solid but unspectacular DE (gets 7-8ish sacks in a rotational role) in 2024 and he's willing to rework his deal massively again I think Von and the Bills can come into an agreement where both sides needs align. Although I do agree that he's most likely heading for a cut but the Bills willingness to take a big dead cap hit on him and Von showing he is willing to negotiate at least make it a possibility he comes back. 

I do agree on Knox, as long as Knox is even remotely productive he's going to be back, he is also friends with Josh so that along with his money being hard to get out of until 2026 make him a solid spot on the 2025 roster.

Maybe a stupid question, but what happened with the Tre White 10 mil we got back in June? Did we sign someone or did that go to the rooks? Or did that just go poof like where the rest of our cap goes? And I'm assuming New England got a comp pick out of that of course too. Low 3rd high 4th sounds fair....

17 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I think there is a scenario where Von sticks around for another season. If he proves to be a solid but unspectacular DE (gets 7-8ish sacks in a rotational role) in 2024 and he's willing to rework his deal massively again I think Von and the Bills can come into an agreement where both sides needs align. Although I do agree that he's most likely heading for a cut but the Bills willingness to take a big dead cap hit on him and Von showing he is willing to negotiate at least make it a possibility he comes back. 

I do agree on Knox, as long as Knox is even remotely productive he's going to be back, he is also friends with Josh so that along with his money being hard to get out of until 2026 make him a solid spot on the 2025 roster.

That’s fair. If Miller shows he can be a good situational pass rusher and will rework his contract to reflect that, then it is possible. I think that it’s unlikely, but there is a slim chance. 

19 hours ago, Bferra13 said:

Maybe a stupid question, but what happened with the Tre White 10 mil we got back in June? Did we sign someone or did that go to the rooks? Or did that just go poof like where the rest of our cap goes? And I'm assuming New England got a comp pick out of that of course too. Low 3rd high 4th sounds fair....

Beane used some of the $10M on rookies.  The remainder of the money has since been used for the PS, IR and the extra 2 players to fill out the 53.

He has $3.77M left.

On 9/3/2024 at 5:55 AM, GrimboG said:

My friend is a niners fan (and self proclaimed Capologist) and is convinced we're going to restructure Von's deal this week to get in under the cap for the 53.

I think we can save about $5m by converting his roster bonus to signing. However, I thought we might not want to do it with him, as this year as we're taking medicine on many of the older guys, and might want to move on from his contract next year. 

What do you reckon? Any other moves needed instead? Extend Spencer Brown? 

OTC has us $395k over just now (third least 2024 space in the league). We're only 5th in active spending (192m) and have 63m dead cap (thanks Stefon!).  

What is happening next?  Nice call 😃

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/4/2024 at 10:23 PM, Bferra13 said:

The cap was graded as top 51 at the time.  Now it is the 53 plus guys on it (4) plus proactive squad.   In addition.   The bills choose to take dead cap for Lell Collins because he had a guaranteed 1.5 million.  There are probably others too. It all adds up.