Cap moves this week?

GrimboG

My friend is a niners fan (and self proclaimed Capologist) and is convinced we're going to restructure Von's deal this week to get in under the cap for the 53.

I think we can save about $5m by converting his roster bonus to signing. However, I thought we might not want to do it with him, as this year as we're taking medicine on many of the older guys, and might want to move on from his contract next year. 

What do you reckon? Any other moves needed instead? Extend Spencer Brown? 

OTC has us $395k over just now (third least 2024 space in the league). We're only 5th in active spending (192m) and have 63m dead cap (thanks Stefon!).  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, GrimboG said:

My friend is a niners fan (and self proclaimed Capologist) and is convinced we're going to restructure Von's deal this week to get in under the cap for the 53.

I think we can save about $5m by converting his roster bonus to signing. However, I thought we might not want to do it with him, as this year as we're taking medicine on many of the older guys, and might want to move on from his contract next year. 

OTC has us $395k over just now (third least 2024 space in the league). We're only 5th in active spending (192m) and have 63m dead cap (thanks Stefon!).  

We already massively redid Von's deal. He basically took a large pay cut that he didn't have to. I highly doubt they'd do anything else to his deal.

There was a long list of moves we could do as far as releases, restructures, or likely extensions that were reported en masse by the media prior to Free Agency when we were MASSIVELY over the cap. I compiled a list. And we did every single one of them (that Beane was going to do), save for two.

The only two moves we didn't do was a restructure to Ed Oliver's contract and a restructure to Matt Milano's contract. I think they didn't do Milano bc they wanted to see how he bounced back from injury first. Considering what happened, I don't think you're going to see it. But Oliver is still a restructure candidate.

I'm sure someone's going to bring up Josh's contract. Not impossible, but I just don't see it. He's never restructured a deal twice in the same season. Idk why he didn't take the full amount he could - but I think if he was going to, he'd have done it then. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, GrimboG said:

Remember, OTC is not official. It's normally in the ball park, but often times salary cap figures that the team has submitted to league offices can be a bit different. 

They will need about 3-5M for in season replacement players.   I though they would be more under after the Tre White post June 1 10M they got.   But at that time it is top 51, no practice squad.  The Bills have taken 56 players on already I believe with Clayton, Evans and Milano on IR, plus whatever the settlement was for Claypool, I would have thought they had more still.   I don't believe it is possible the BIll's are over the cap, they would be non compliant and things would be happening.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 17islongenough said:

You ask and you shall receive.

Thanks!  A timely update. It seems to make more sense to squeeze a bit from these guys than push any of Von's money further down the line. 

3 hours ago, GolfandBills said:

That gives them about 3m in space now.  They should be fine for the season 

Just enough for some vet min deals to plug holes should more injuries arise.  

7 hours ago, GrimboG said:

OTC has better info that Spotrac, but it still takes time for them to get all of the info on contracts. Even then they are not always 100% accurate. In this case they still haven’t gotten all of the contract info because teams must be cap compliant. We can’t be over because the league would not approve a contract that put us over. So a move has already been made to keep us under the cap. Either it’s Von or they have to do a bunch of smaller ones, including Milano. 

People freak out about cap hits in future years, but it makes no difference whether a team does nothing versus kick $5M into next year and then carry $5M over. Except that it gives you more flexibility. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

I honestly think this is the year of the if of the self examination. I think we need to see what we have and add youth to our core performers... I think giving them a chance to play things out is the plan and its a good one. If we find ourselves in serious contention well into the year, this could change. But for now... lets see what we have....  

5 hours ago, KingBoots8 said:

…and to pay Hyde in December if we are thin at the position and in the hunt for the playoffs

No idea why so much hate for this comment. I 100% think this is a real possibility. Our safties suck balls and is the weakest part of our roster. Hamlin and Rapp are heat seeking missiles with no coverage sense and Bishop is an undersized rookie. Hyde in the playoffs well rested would be great 

Edited by NeverOutNick

41 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

This is why when people were talking about what to do with our Cap Space during Training Camp I was saying we don't have any.

Paying 2.64m to keep those players on IR instead of releasing them is kinda baffling though. 

Why it baffling when they can move around a bit of money and have enough to hang on to their rights in case they need them? IR exists for a reason and every team uses it as much as they want to.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Why it baffling when they can move around a bit of money and have enough to hang on to their rights in case they need them? IR exists for a reason and every team uses it as much as they want to.

I don't have a problem with Clayton. That makes sense to me as a long term development Draft Pick. Everyone else from that list is completely expendable.

Shane Buechele was replaced by Mike White. I don't see any scenario where we keep 4 QB's when he's healthy or that he should be kept over Trubisky or White.

Darrynton Evans is at best RB5. As it is, Frank Gore Jr. isn't even on the Roster.

Dee Delaney and Terrell Burgess - I don't think we need to use cap space to keep one of them, let alone both. Like Evans as RB5 - these guys are S8 and S9. We've got the 5 guys we have on the Roster (which is a lot already). And then we've got Kareem Jackson and Lewis Cine on the Practice Squad. 

I realize injuries happen during the season and it's good to call up on guys who had Training Camp and have had the Playbook. But we'd have to take a lot of injuries to get down to these type of guys being necessary as depth. And ultimately, they'd almost definitely be sitting on the market to grab when they get healthy anyways.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

12 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

We already massively redid Von's deal. He basically took a large pay cut that he didn't have to. I highly doubt they'd do anything else to his deal.

There was a long list of moves we could do as far as releases, restructures, or likely extensions that were reported en masse by the media prior to Free Agency when we were MASSIVELY over the cap. I compiled a list. And we did every single one of them (that Beane was going to do), save for two.

The only two moves we didn't do was a restructure to Ed Oliver's contract and a restructure to Matt Milano's contract. I think they didn't do Milano bc they wanted to see how he bounced back from injury first. Considering what happened, I don't think you're going to see it. But Oliver is still a restructure candidate.

I'm sure someone's going to bring up Josh's contract. Not impossible, but I just don't see it. He's never restructured a deal twice in the same season. Idk why he didn't take the full amount he could - but I think if he was going to, he'd have done it then. 

Remember, Josh has no say in how much the team restructures his deal. The team chose to take less to lessen the hit on future years 

3 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Remember, Josh has no say in how much the team restructures his deal. The team chose to take less to lessen the hit on future years 

I wasn't implying he did. When I said "he's never restructured a deal twice in the same season" - I was talking about Beane doing that to anyone.

29 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I don't have a problem with Clayton. That makes sense to me as a long term development Draft Pick. Everyone else from that list is completely expendable.

Shane Buechele was replaced by Mike White. I don't see any scenario where we keep 4 QB's when he's healthy or that he should be kept over Trubisky or White.

Darrynton Evans is at best RB5. As it is, Frank Gore Jr. isn't even on the Roster.

Dee Delaney and Terrell Burgess - I don't think we need to pay to keep one of them, let alone both. Like Evans as RB5 - these guys are S8 and S9. We've got the 5 guys we have on the Roster (which is a lot already). And then we've got Kareem Jackson and Lewis Cine on the Practice Squad. 

I realize injuries happen during the season and it's good to call up on guys who had Training Camp and have had the Playbook. But we'd have to take a lot of injuries to get down to these type of guys being necessary as depth. And ultimately, they'd almost definitely be sitting on the market to grab when they get healthy anyways.

Well, the organization doesn't see it the same way. They want to hang on to those players.

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Paying 2.64m to keep those players on IR instead of releasing them is kinda baffling though. 

Teams can’t release an injured player unless they come to agreement on an injury settlement with that player. This is why roster bonuses are so important for high priced veterans. 

3 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Teams can’t release an injured player unless they come to agreement on an injury settlement with that player. This is why roster bonuses are so important for high priced veterans. 

I'm aware of that. And I admit, I'm not 100% sure of the cap ramifications of an Injury Settlement. I'm just going off of the tweet that said it cost them 2.46m to IR rather than releasing them. 

If it were the same amount of cap or close to it to do an Injury Settlement Release, than it makes more sense to me. But if it's 2.46 more to keep them, keeping anyone but Clayton from that list is a little head scratching to me.

15 minutes ago, MJS said:

Well, the organization doesn't see it the same way. They want to hang on to those players.

Obviously. That doesn't change my opinion that it's unnecessary though. Especially Delaney AND Burgess.